Good specialties for people who don't give a crap

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
W

White Zin

?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
White Zin said:
So, how about it. People who get to residency application time are thinking, "you know, I really don't like anything. In fact, I hate some of this crap. What should I do? I just don't really care a whole helluva lot." Now, c'mon, I know there are a good number of people here who feel like that--so out with it! What did you pick?

Do you have any experience in finance?

How about the fast food industry?

White Zin said:
So, how about it. People who get to residency application time are thinking, "you know, I really don't like anything. In fact, I hate some of this crap. What should I do? I just don't really care a whole helluva lot." Now, c'mon, I know there are a good number of people here who feel like that--so out with it! What did you pick?

Anesthesiology.

White Zin said:

bro, u an get away with this attitude in psych and pm&r, and enjoy your free time, while those pathetic bastards in medicine and surgery are stressing all through their residencies. :laugh: :laugh:

White Zin said:

rads, pathology, dermatology...

well, if you really don't give a crap...then become a housewife, a "stay at home dad", and/or marry a rich person. why would you go into medicine these days if you think like that?!? its sickening to see the greed in people's eyes. is there anyone out there who actually gives a damn about being in medicine for more than just money and having to lift a finger to do some work?! what losers...

White Zin said:

Radiology or anesthesiology.

gwen said:
well, if you really don't give a crap...then become a housewife, a "stay at home dad", and/or marry a rich person. why would you go into medicine these days if you think like that?!? its sickening to see the greed in people's eyes. is there anyone out there who actually gives a damn about being in medicine for more than just money and having to lift a finger to do some work?! what losers...

Sweetie, are you in medical school, yet? If so, it is great that you are still optimistic. Unfortunately, medicine is all about the money. Why? Because medicine is big business. Only an idiot would work in this field and not profit from it. All that idealistic pre-med b u l l s h i t goes right out the window after your first or second third year rotation.

My advice to anyone is to shoot for the most ultra-elite specialty for which your test scores will allow. That way, you make your millions early and can retire after 10 to 15 years.

MD'05 said:
Sweetie, are you in medical school, yet? If so, it is great that you are still optimistic. Unfortunately, medicine is all about the money. Why? Because medicine is big business. Only an idiot would work in this field and not profit from it. All that idealistic pre-med b u l l s h i t goes right out the window after your first or second third year rotation.

My advice to anyone is to shoot for the most ultra-elite specialty for which your test scores will allow. That way, you make your millions early and can retire after 10 to 15 years.
Not true. There are still some of us who give a crap and who are not in it for the money. Most of us go into primary care and/or work with underserved populations. And no, I am not a pre-med. I will be starting residency July 1, and my ideals are still alive and well. And no, I'm not some young pup who hasn't ever held a job in the real world. I am a former mutual fund team manager for a large financial company who gave it all up to go back and fulfill my dream of being a physician. Don't assume that everyone out there is a greedy and disillusioned as you seem to be.

tridoc13 said:
Don't assume that everyone out there is as greedy and disillusioned as you seem to be.

Projection does seem to be a popular defense mechanism around here. ;)

Why don't you get one of those consulting jobs or use medicine in some other way. Like if you like to write, become a medical reporter/journalist or something like that. You could work for a pharm company - I had one try to recruit me - you don't need to have a residency.
Get creative and good luck.

BTW, there is nothing wrong with wanting to make some money AND serve/help people at the same time. You can be idealistic and still profit from it.

pej933 said:
Anesthesiology.

I would say that this response reflects ignorance, but I would be too kind. Anesthesiology requires vigilance--for the safety of the patient both in and out of the operating room. In fairness to all specialties, I am sure that if "you do not give a crap" you should definitely not have a career in medicine. :thumbdown:

honey, i'm actually about to start my pulm-cc fellowship...there's nothing idealistic about that. i'm in this because i love medicine. money is a perk, not my main goal. i realize that this is not the most popular opinion, but that's how i feel. you ought to have lived in a third world country to realize how much we actually have in america, you sick money-addicted perverts.

MD'05 said:

thank you...

Danger Man said:
In fairness to all specialties, I am sure that if "you do not give a crap" you should definitely not have a career in medicine. :thumbdown:

no s^!t sherlock

This thread is degenerating nicely. Ill be back tomorrow to see the progress.

Danger Man said:
I would say that this response reflects ignorance, but I would be too kind. Anesthesiology requires vigilance--for the safety of the patient both in and out of the operating room.

seriously if you dont pay attention you could lose your place in your book right? i always recommend using a bookmarker though.

gungho said:
EVERYONE is motivated in the direction of that which they see as profitable, what is in their best interests.

Definitely. But "profitable" means different things to different people. It isn't always money.
I want to be able to eat the cake... make some money while helping others/serving my community. :D

To the OP:
When did you discover that you don't give a crap? Did you always feel that way and think it would get better, or is this new?
There should be several options outside of being directly involved in patient care for you. I don't see why you would subject yourself to a career of misery and I don't think you will serve your patients well if you don't give a crap.

mmmmdonuts said:
seriously if you dont pay attention you could lose your place in your book right? i always recommend using a bookmarker though.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Perhaps your attitude reflects underlying issues. I'd like to see the stats on depression among med students, and % who actually get treated. If you're not giving a crap about anything, you could consider antidepressants.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
although depression is no laughing matter...

dante201 said:
If you're not giving a crap about anything, you could consider antidepressants.

Danger Man said:
I would say that this response reflects ignorance, but I would be too kind. Anesthesiology requires vigilance--for the safety of the patient both in and out of the operating room. In fairness to all specialties, I am sure that if "you do not give a crap" you should definitely not have a career in medicine. :thumbdown:

seriously, if u do not like talking with patients, rads, path & derm are perfect. In rads your patients are on screen. In path, your patients are dead (or theit tissue is on a slide). In derm your meetings are superficial and generally only last for a couple mins.

tridoc13 said:
Not true. There are still some of us who give a crap and who are not in it for the money. Most of us go into primary care and/or work with underserved populations. And no, I am not a pre-med. I will be starting residency July 1, and my ideals are still alive and well. And no, I'm not some young pup who hasn't ever held a job in the real world. I am a former mutual fund team manager for a large financial company who gave it all up to go back and fulfill my dream of being a physician. Don't assume that everyone out there is a greedy and disillusioned as you seem to be.

So they haven't beaten the optimism out of you yet. Good for you.

gwen said:
honey, i'm actually about to start my pulm-cc fellowship...there's nothing idealistic about that. i'm in this because i love medicine. money is a perk, not my main goal. i realize that this is not the most popular opinion, but that's how i feel. you ought to have lived in a third world country to realize how much we actually have in america, you sick money-addicted perverts.

Oh, pulmonary-critical care. I would be optimistic too if I had completed residency and was looking at $200K after fellowship. Money-addicted pervert, eh? I guess you'll be donating your salary to the third world then. Good for you.

listen, i have no problems discussing my personal plans...i'm not out to fight here with anyone. but i do plan on using my medical skills in the third world country. i am indian and hope to at least help out with that part of the world. i was going into pmr (so trust me, i totally understand the "plenty of money and relaxation" motto that most people care about nowadays). but i realized that i really couldn't contribute much to the third world with just pmr knowledge, even though i totally loved rehab. as a doctor, i knew i would be comfortable financially no matter what field i chose and i am not afraid of hard work (also happen to love pulm-cc...i know, total contrast to pmr)...but i also want to do more than earn "millions of bucks in 10-15 years and retire". so yeah, i will be earning good money with pulm-cc, but i am planning on doing something with that money AND knowledge ---> applying it where it is needed. seriously, go to a third world country if you haven't already, then you will realize what a privilege it is to be a doctor and especially an american doctor. you can only use so much money in your life...you're not taking it to the grave with you.

MD'05 said:
Oh, pulmonary-critical care. I would be optimistic too if I had completed residency and was looking at $200K after fellowship. Money-addicted pervert, eh? I guess you'll be donating your salary to the third world then. Good for you.

White Zin said:

I appreciate the honesty of this question. Naturally, there are those who expect everyone to bend over and take in the a** and like it :rolleyes:
Thank you sir may I have another
SLAP
SLAP
SLAP

But I for one can respect your point of view.
I think "not giving a crap" is awefully vague and does have a negative connatation. I understand where this feeling arises from but I suspect you mean "not giving a crap about all the BS." Primary care is loaded with busy work. I would say rads, derm, or any specialty that allows you to focus on a certain area of medicine without having to get caught up in the draining pyschosocial issues would be the ticket.

This "money addict pervert" smear is medicine's akin to hyperreligious, self righteous, holier-than-thou type people. Pure raging emotionalism! I did not go into medicine and spend 13 years of training post high school to make the same as those who didn't. IT IS THAT FREAKING SIMPLE and I am not ashamed to say it. Only those with crap that doesn't stink can be so freaking pious to slam others who also look to enjoy the monetary benefits (as decreasing as they are).

Those who want work in a jungle and live in a hut are welcome to it and my respect is with them so long as they don't use there ambitions as a charitable currency to elevate themselves amoung their peers. :mad:

dante201 said:
Perhaps your attitude reflects underlying issues. I'd like to see the stats on depression among med students, and % who actually get treated. If you're not giving a crap about anything, you could consider antidepressants.

Editorial in NEJM about this about 6 mo to a year ago. 25% of med students take antidepressants.

pej933 said:
Anesthesiology.

To the OP, please, please stay the hell away from anesthesiology. You'll kill someone if you don't give a crap. Do a prelim year then do a weekend course on Botox and laser hair removal. You can work 3 days a week a make a living. Or better yet, man up and go do something you do give a crap about.

Danger Man said:

Hear hear!!

also, NOT anesthesiology, because i dont want to work with colleagues who dont give a crap! ;) This is a great field, and deserves to be done justice by peeps who actually love it. . .there ARE more than enough of us who do.

i'm going into anesthesiology and i don't give a crap. what does it matter to you holier-than-thou people? it doesn't mean i don't plan on doing a good job or being a good doctor. i'm just being honest. i'll believe all of you when after all this you would be fine with a meager salary the rest of your life and be totally happy with it. and people who say they do give a crap, are some of the most one-dimensional boring people i've ever met. there's more to life than being a doctor, period.

Gewn,

I guess its OK for YOU to make a bunch of money since you have such noble plans. Must have been a real struggle for you to choose medicine over, say, teaching.

Don't let anybody catch you driving anything nicer than a Civic with that attitude. Or in your case, probably a "Prius" hybrid.

gwen said:
listen... i was going into pmr (so trust me, i totally understand the "plenty of money and relaxation" motto that most people care about nowadays). but i realized that i really couldn't contribute much to the third world with just pmr knowledge, even though i totally loved rehab.

i'm sure u meant no disrespect but i give a crap about patients and money...i am going into pm&r...it is plenty of rest if you dont want to make much, but the plenty of money comes with plenty of work...and besides, i just want to make as much as i can, as quickly as i can so that i would be able to go back to my third world home country and atleast work in a medicine clinic (with my prelim med training...and not the whole year, but part of the year) as well as try to help out those people over there that seem to lose limbs a lot more quickly than people do here...or need emg's or whatever training i bring with me..

however, i would say, if you really dont give a crap..path is good orrr go into patient transport...all u need to know is how to walk and push at the same time...plus i see a lot of those people walking in the halls with an indifferent look on their faces...

White Zin said:
There are jobs for MDs who don't have to practice patient care. CDC/NIH/other NGOs who need a lot of people with MD degree. Don't really have to do a residency. It is not required in some states. I heard that Oregon state only needs one year of residency to do urgent care. Most people do a residency because that is the status quo. I think that we need lots of leadership in health policy, health management, preventive programs who have MD degrees and passion for leadership.

Path, Rads, and Gas- These are all great if you want better than average pay, decent hours, and less of the BS that goes along with most of medicine. In path and rads you can find a job where you can read slides/films 40-50 hrs and don't have to deal with alot of the issues that come with patient care. In Gas you get to sit around and do nothing for a decent portion of the day. I'm certain that most people in these fields do "give a crap", but if you didn't you'd be best off choosing something with a good lifestyle.

I might fall into the "don't give a crap category" as I understand it from the initial post. As a senior student with a wife, two children, a big debt load, and being 35, I want as much emotional energy, time, and financial security for my family as possible, so I have chosen radiology. I like it a lot, and, of course, I give a crap about my patients. I had better or a misread film will bite me hard in the ass at some point. There are many different personality tyoes in medicine. I had wanted to take direct, compassionate care of patients as this is what a "real" doctor does and much of what I went to med school for. I began to see, however, that there are people who are better suited for this than others. I would get crotchety, grouchy, and abrupt the more I directly cared for patients of a low socioeconomic status with their attendant social problems. I had to be honest with myself about how much of a "people person" I really was. I have tremendous respect for those who can do it, but I have also seen many physicians who are burnt out on patient care, bitter, and very anxious about declining reimbursements. I did not want to be primarily just a technician, but I have chosen the perfect field for my personality and priorities and it doesn't mean I dont care about patients. It's acutally the way I can serve them best. That's whats great about medicine - there are so many options.

Funny how people get so very up in arms when they think someone is cornering the market on altruism. Isn't it interesting that we all value it enough to get upset when others accuse us of NOT having it? If you really didn't care about the fact that you don't care, no one would be using bold type or expletives on this thread.

I'm just content knowing I will have the last laugh. I will make awesome money and still get to be altruistic and have a great life outside of medicine, take plenty of time off, and have nice vacations.

It is possible, no matter what popular opinion or your dean says. You just have to think outside the proverbial box, which is apparently really hard for most of you.

Bottom line is, in medicine you are dealing with people's lives - no matter what specialty you go into. So you DO need to give a crap, even (maybe even especially) in those specialties with less intense patient care like anesthesia, rads, path, and derm. Even though a pathologist may not deal directly with patients, the lives of those patients depend on the pathologist getting the diagnosis right - I would want my pathologist to have a passion for what they do.

That being said, the suggestions previously offered all point to specialties in which the challenges of primary care may be lessened - hence their reputation as lifestyle-friendly. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that's what you meant.

durban said:
I might fall into the "don't give a crap category" as I understand it from the initial post. As a senior student with a wife, two children, a big debt load, and being 35, I want as much emotional energy, time, and financial security for my family as possible, so I have chosen radiology. I like it a lot, and, of course, I give a crap about my patients. I had better or a misread film will bite me hard in the ass at some point. There are many different personality tyoes in medicine. I had wanted to take direct, compassionate care of patients as this is what a "real" doctor does and much of what I went to med school for. I began to see, however, that there are people who are better suited for this than others. I would get crotchety, grouchy, and abrupt the more I directly cared for patients of a low socioeconomic status with their attendant social problems. I had to be honest with myself about how much of a "people person" I really was. I have tremendous respect for those who can do it, but I have also seen many physicians who are burnt out on patient care, bitter, and very anxious about declining reimbursements. I did not want to be primarily just a technician, but I have chosen the perfect field for my personality and priorities and it doesn't mean I dont care about patients. It's acutally the way I can serve them best. That's whats great about medicine - there are so many options.

Thank you for being so honest. People like you are going to be the happiest and the most fulfilled in this profession. You have taken an honest inventory of yourself and know what you will be best at.

Good for you! Best of luck!

ronin8 said:
i'm going into anesthesiology and i don't give a crap.

then whats with the longwinded speech?

durban said:
I would get crotchety, grouchy, and abrupt the more I directly cared for patients of a low socioeconomic status with their attendant social problems.

I appreciate the honesty here, but know that this is a very large sect of the population that you are referring to, and some of us are now physicians. Everyone is entitled to their own views, of course, but I hope you don't assume that your perspective is the norm among your medical colleagues. You could end up unwittingly insulting people that you do respect.

MD'05 said:

millions.. try 105k

gwen said:

gwen baby how are you? Please stop this thinking.. This is why medicine is in the state that we are in.. In this country,the things we value are expensive.. and we value physicians.. therefore we should get the lions share of the money... If there were NO money period that would be one thing.. But do you have any idea how much the drug companies and the managed care companies are making..?? there is money out there and we are ENTITLED to it. We are the professionals.. making decisions.. I love being aphysician but in this country.. i want to be paid for my expertise..

durban said:

It sounds like you were really mature and wise about your choice. Well reasoned and well said. :thumbup:

To the original question, i think that most people that "don't like this crap" hate the patient care part of the job putting a face on disease; most of them actually like the science of medicine and disease, so i would say path (pts are dead) or rads (pts on a screen, but you have to tough out the internship); anything else would be costly to you (i.e. lawsuits) or costly for the pt (i.e. their life).

penguins said:
It sounds like you were really mature and wise about your choice. Well reasoned and well said. :thumbup:

what was mature about that? all he said was basically that he cared more about himself than other people.

mmmmdonuts said:
what was mature about that? all he said was basically that he cared more about himself than other people.

I "read" it as that he was honest about his priorities. He cares enough about patient care to know that the day to day involvement in direct patient care issues might cause resentment and make him less competant in the long run. Different folks are suited for different parts of medicine. We need each kind. Nothing wrong with being honest about not liking to take care of freeloaders all day.

We just have a different interpretation/ persepctive on the guy's comments. I liked it, you didn't. Okay.

Actually, in a sense, yes. I do care about my family more than other people, and this was by a LONG shot the best course for them as well as me, throughout residency and after.

mmmmdonuts said: