Good Samaritan law

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaggybill

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I was talking to a first responder here in NC and he told me that he has taken an EMT-B course, but refuses to become a state certified Basic because if he does, the Good Samaritan law no longer applies to him if he stops for an MVA, trauma, etc. while off-duty.

Is there anybody here from NC that can verify this, and are other states like this too?

Members don't see this ad.

He is full of bull...Good Samaritan laws apply to EMT-B's. Honestly, when was the last time you heard of an EMT-B being sued for stopping and helping. If you do what you are trained to do and not beyond that you will be fine. Sounds like the person you were talking to might have failed the course and now is using an excuse as to why he is not certified....

He is full of bull...Good Samaritan laws apply to EMT-B's. Honestly, when was the last time you heard of an EMT-B being sued for stopping and helping. If you do what you are trained to do and not beyond that you will be fine. Sounds like the person you were talking to might have failed the course and now is using an excuse as to why he is not certified....
If he's scared of being sued, then don't stop. I believe only two or three states require EMS providers to stop and render aid.