Good reference for first rad onc rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bunsen Honeydew

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting my first RO elective in a week. Can anyone recommend a good reference that i can use to get some basics down & to use during the month?

Members don't see this ad.

I--and many other med students--used Roach handbook. That being said I wouldnt recommend it too highly; most of it wont make much sense since it has to be decoded from abbreviations and it places a heavy emphasis on studies/literature. These things are important for residents, but as a student you really miss the forest for the trees with that approach.

Although I havent got it yet, the Haffty book may be a better overall approach, especially if read in peicemeal before you work on a certain disease site.

As a med student interested in RO, the most important thing for you to get is a good overview of oncology, and how radiation fits into the whole picture. The focus at a med student level should be on the natural history, physical findings, and overall management strategy for onc patients that you will see in the clinic. You shouldn't be focusing on the nitty-gritty details of radiation doses and randomized trials too much as a med student... you'll have plenty of time to do that as a resident :D

One book I recommend to med students coming through is the Multidisciplinary cancer management handbook. It's a good intro text that discusses the importance of all of the modalities in cancer treatment (med, surg, and radiation). It is co-edited by Lawrence Coia, who authored one of the original radiation oncology handbooks long ago.

Here's the link to the cancer management handbook: http://www.cancernetwork.com/cancer-management/

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
As a med student interested in RO, the most important thing for you to get is a good overview of oncology, and how radiation fits into the whole picture. The focus at a med student level should be on the natural history, physical findings, and overall management strategy for onc patients that you will see in the clinic. You shouldn't be focusing on the nitty-gritty details of radiation doses and randomized trials too much as a med students... you'll have plenty of time to do that as a resident :D

One book I recommend to med students coming through is the Multidisciplinary cancer management handbook. It's a good intro text that discusses the importance of all of the modalities in cancer treatment (med, surg, and radiation). It is co-edited by Lawrence Coia, who authored one of the original radiation oncology handbooks long ago.

Here's the link to the cancer management handbook: http://www.cancernetwork.com/cancer-management/

I second this recommendation. I used this book as a medical student and found it very helpful.

I found the Washington Manual of Oncology to be a great reference giving an overview for rad/surg/med treatments for different cancers by stage (and it fits in the white coat pocket!)