good PG schools in India?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atria78

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some good PG schools in India? (Sorry, this is a little bit of a repeat question - I did see the other posts about India but I think those are specifically about undergraduate MBBS degree schools)

Do you recommend we look for a PG school based on speciality? (Meaning, are there schools that are good in a certain speciality/field vs others?)

"good" as in good location like in a big city - banglore, hyderabad, chennai etc.. good teaching - the objective is to become a good doctor so which one of these schools will provide me that?

What kind of entrance exams are there for admission into a PG school? How hard is it? How much did you guys study for it?

Members don't see this ad.

atria78 said:
What are some good PG schools in India? (Sorry, this is a little bit of a repeat question - I did see the other posts about India but I think those are specifically about undergraduate MBBS degree schools)

Do you recommend we look for a PG school based on speciality? (Meaning, are there schools that are good in a certain speciality/field vs others?)

"good" as in good location like in a big city - banglore, hyderabad, chennai etc.. good teaching - the objective is to become a good doctor so which one of these schools will provide me that?

What kind of entrance exams are there for admission into a PG school? How hard is it? How much did you guys study for it?
For PGin India, i mentioned in another post- AIIMS (New Delhi), PGIMER (Chandigarh), CMC Vellore, SGPGI Lucknow,
NIMHANS (only neurology,nsurg and psych)
JIPMER (Pondicherry)
Sri Chitra Thirunal Institute for med sc and tech, Trivandrum (only cardiology, cardiac surgery, neurology, nsurg)
These are absolutely top class and supercompetitive. Entrance is thru an all India test conducted six monthly.
You can never pick based on speciality, because allotment of speciality is on merit ie in the order of rank in the entrance exam, meaning rank 1 chooses any speciality , and the remaining ranks choose whatever is left as the allotment of seats goes on.
These institutes are top class in all specialities. There are many others, but these are the cream of the places.
The syllabus of entrance test includes the entire 5 yr MBBS syllabus, and from personal experience and the experience of almost anyone I met, the tests are very tough. All Indian students actually consider the usmle a joke comparing to these entrances.

IMGforNeuro said:
Entrance is thru an all India test conducted six monthly.

Did you mean, once every six months at all schools? Normally, this is in July and December right?

Maybe I should've said, "top middle schools" - "top schools" just sounds a little too damn hard for the non-prodigies. :laugh:

Thanks for your reply!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that the AIIMS, PGI, CMC Vellore exams are conducted every six months.
There are people who are not able to make it in first attempt, but eventually make it in subsequent attempts.
To be honest, majority people who compete are second attempters because the syllabus is vast. Even though they say the syllabus includes MBBS level texts, frequently it is a lot more. This is why it takes more than one attempt to get into the big places. But nothing is impossible. I have seen people who were otherwise thought to be average students make it to these places by sheer hard work. Many people study selectively from Harrison's for medicine.
The reason they make the exam tougher is because of the large number of applications.
July and december is when the sessions begin. The entrances are usually held at least 2 months before. The dates are advertized in the newspapers and on the respective websites.
Apart from these there are many other places that give very good PG education. Then there are many which are average or not good.

Thanks for the input IMGforNeuro! That answers some of my concerns. =)