Good news for those going for PSLF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lamount

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It looks like they’re going to count time in forbearance towards public student loan forgiveness if you took more than 12 consecutive months

Members don't see this ad.

I follow the PSLF stuff closely. My qualifying payments recently jumped up +10 from payments made just after med school before everything was properly consolidated and in the right IBR plan. Really no explanation was given to as why, while some other payments are still not counting for whatever unknown reason. However, FedLoan has not updated my most recent employment certification in like seven months. Hard to tell what is really going on for sure but obviously something is afoot. I know people who have had $100,000’s forgiven via PSLF recently so it is real. Unfortunately most MD’s that I know went for refinancing via SoFi for the lower interest rate after residency but now find themselves employed by a hospital system and are now ineligible.

Reactions: 1 user
I follow the PSLF stuff closely. My qualifying payments recently jumped up +10 from payments made just after med school before everything was properly consolidated and in the right IBR plan. Really no explanation was given to as why, while some other payments are still not counting for whatever unknown reason. However, FedLoan has not updated my most recent employment certification in like seven months. Hard to tell what is really going on for sure but obviously something is afoot. I know people who have had $100,000’s forgiven via PSLF recently so it is real. Unfortunately most MD’s that I know went for refinancing via SoFi for the lower interest rate after residency but now find themselves employed by a hospital system and are now ineligible.

👈 This guy

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
It’s a calculation. I just figured I’ll wait and see where I end up before pulling that refinancing trigger (meaning after first job, which was PP but the practice ended up folding). Once I’m done with PSLF I’ll probably start applying to PP jobs again. It’s a strange game for sure.