Good Midwestern Transitional Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marsupial

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know which transitional programs in Ohio/Illinois/Indiana/Michigan/Missouri etc are well-run with good lifestyle?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Pars Plana said:
Does anyone know which transitional programs in Ohio/Illinois/Indiana/Michigan/Missouri etc are well-run with good lifestyle?
Thanks!

I've been told by current and past TY's that the TY at Macneal Hospital in Berwyn, IL is the "cushiest" program in all of Illinois. There is only one other residency program there- Family Medicine- with all the residents being very fun and laid back. I rotated there and none of the TY's ever seemed very tired or miserable- even post call! Free lunches almost everyday during noon conferences. I've heard it's reasonably competitive because the word has gotten out. Hope this helps!

Resurrection Medical Center. Very very good program, excellent PD/coordinator/schedule(6mo no call!)

Members don't see this ad :)
No personal knowledge, but I heard St John's Mercy Hospital in St Louis had a cushy TY year.

look into Indiana university TY at Methodist hospital. We have six months of elective month (the most you could have). Do only one months of inpatient medicine ward and one month of ICU, one month of clinic and one month of ER, and then two months of medicine related rotations (such as hospitalist consult where you have weekends off and take only two calls a months, extra ER months, Cardiology, etc), therefore total of six months of fundamental months. Call system is little different here, take call most of the year except in clinic and ER. However call is spread out, when you are in medicine ward/ICU you are q5-6. Then rest of the months when you are in elective/fundamental months you take about 2 calls a month. So you end up taking somewhere in the mid 20's calls for the whole year.

Also in elective you are allowed to do up to three months of whatever specialty you are going into (I am doing three months of ophthalmology electives). For ophthalmology applicants there are so awesome electives (microvascular surgery course, orbital dissection courses, rotated through a county resident eye clinic). All health and dental insurance paid for you and your family. Cost of living in indianapolis is cheap.