Good idea to get Associate in PT to improve chance of getting into Grad school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coon2009

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about going back to school and applying for a Associate PT program because I'm interested in going to PT grad school. Thing is, I already have a BS in Biology (graduated 2 years ago). I don't have any PT experience as I have been trying the past 2 years to get into Pharmacy school. So I was thinking of going for an associate in PT to 1) get experience in the field, 2) in the meantime give my GPA a boost. Is this a good idea? And couldn't I still apply to Grad school while I'm working on my Assoicate? Any feedback would be great. I currently don't know anyone in the physical therapy field so I was hoping to find some guidance here. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

What is an Associate PT Program? Are you talking about Physical Therapist Assistant? If so, that is a 2-year program that I believe is open to anyone with a high school diploma. If you were considering Pharmacy to begin with, you may not be satisfied with some of the characteristics (is: $$) of the PTA profession.

Like thorn said, there is no associate degree in PT. Not sure what you were looking at but most likely it was for a PTA. Best way to get to know someone in the PT field is shadow, volunteer, or work as an aide in a PT setting. That will be cheaper for you in the end and give you exposure to the field as well as get you recommendations.