good enough schedule?

synapsefire

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am a new member here! *waves* I want to become a doctor/surgeon. I'm currently a sophomore in high school and need advice on my upcoming school year schedules. I have done hospital volunteering over the summer and plan on doing more in the upcoming years.

Currently I am taking Honors English and AP world. Next year I plan on taking 4 or 5 honors classes (no AP), then senior I want to take an AP class with about 3 honors classes. will my schedule be good enough?
For my senior schedule I don't know which AP class I should take, AP Psychology, AP microeconomics, or AP English?? Please give me advice. Thank you, it is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi I am a new member here! *waves* I want to become a doctor/surgeon. I'm currently a sophomore in high school and need advice on my upcoming school year schedules. I have done hospital volunteering over the summer and plan on doing more in the upcoming years.

Currently I am taking Honors English and AP world. Next year I plan on taking 4 or 5 honors classes (no AP), then senior I want to take an AP class with about 3 honors classes. will my schedule be good enough?
For my senior schedule I don't know which AP class I should take, AP Psychology, AP microeconomics, or AP English?? Please give me advice. Thank you, it is greatly appreciated.

Highschool grades have nothing to do with getting into med school. Just focus on getting into a decent college and have fun -- what colleges are you thinking of applying to?

EDIT: You're only a sophomore... people change their minds on things, don't be so set on becoming a doctor just yet. Explore different things and like I previously mentioned, have fun kid!

Welcome!

As a high school student, your focus will be getting into a good college. To do that, you're going to want to carry a schedule that shows you can handle the higher level courses that your school offers, and do well in them. It looks like you are probably planning on doing that.

Choose the AP classes that you take by what interests you and you think you will do well in. I don't think the colleges give any great preference over which ones you've taken when it comes to deciding admissions, just that you've taken advantage of the opportunity to take more stringent coursework.

Members don't see this ad :)
Highschool grades have nothing to do with getting into med school. Just focus on getting into a decent college and have fun -- what colleges are you thinking of applying to?

EDIT: You're only a sophomore... people change their minds on things, don't be so set on becoming a doctor just yet. Explore different things and like I previously mentioned, have fun kid!

I am thinking of going to UCLA or Berkley or any other UC nearby. Thanks for responding. =)

Welcome!

As a high school student, your focus will be getting into a good college. To do that, you're going to want to carry a schedule that shows you can handle the higher level courses that your school offers, and do well in them. It looks like you are probably planning on doing that.

Choose the AP classes that you take by what interests you and you think you will do well in. I don't think the colleges give any great preference over which ones you've taken when it comes to deciding admissions, just that you've taken advantage of the opportunity to take more stringent coursework.

Thanks!
Yeah I really plan on trying to take hard classes, but not too many because I don't want to kill myself over loads of work that I won't be able to sleep. XD
Before med school I am supposed to take 2 years of chem, a year of physics, a year of bio, and calc., right?

Thanks!
Yeah I really plan on trying to take hard classes, but not too many because I don't want to kill myself over loads of work that I won't be able to sleep. XD
Before med school I am supposed to take 2 years of chem, a year of physics, a year of bio, and calc., right?

The standard for most schools is to take the following while in college:
1 year each
English
biology
general chemistry
organic chemistry
physics

Some
, but only a few, require a year of math to include at least one semester of calculus (even fewer programs require through calc 2)

A handful also have minimum requirements for the #of hours taken in humanities courses.

A very few schools have now dropped the physics pre-req, and about 3 have no pre-reqs at all. (but those are mainly state schools that take very few out-of-state students.)

So, you see, it does vary, but the list at the top covers most schools in the U.S.

Hey! Loving the username! :thumbup:

Just take whatever classes you like, but play up your strengths. Don't take an AP class if you know you won't do well in it. Not sure why you listed those three, but I can't even make room for them in my senior schedule with bio, chem, and physics.

Oh :eek: not Calculus 2, please don't tell me calculus 2. :scared: If med school requires that much math, I'm starting my eulogy.

Hey! Loving the username! :thumbup:

Just take whatever classes you like, but play up your strengths. Don't take an AP class if you know you won't do well in it. Not sure why you listed those three, but I can't even make room for them in my senior schedule with bio, chem, and physics.

Oh :eek: not Calculus 2, please don't tell me calculus 2. :scared: If med school requires that much math, I'm starting my eulogy.
Exactly what he said. i would take AP classes but even the best in my school dont past the tests. not sure if its the teachers or the students but id rather do great in my cores.