Good Bio or Chem prep books? (like basic pre-class stuff?)

Gallix23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm really bored in school right now since the days are winding down quick, so I figure I'd get a jump start on college prep. I'm going to be a Bio major, so I was wondering if you guys knew of any good books I could buy that give a nice review of Biology and Chemistry principles and what not so that I can familiarize myself with the materials before I actually start.

They don't have to be like really comprehensive, I just want to jog my memory from Bio and Chem again since I haven't taken either in a while. If you guys know any physics books like this either that'd be great too (had to take physics freshman year and did well, but I don't remember much).

Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

the American Chemical Society has excellent study guides for general and organic chemistry

http://www4.uwm.edu/chemexams/guides/index.cfm

gchem is $15, ochem is $21

i ordered by phone, came out to about $42 i think. They explain the problems pretty well, and give practice problems for each area. Even shows you excellent process for eliminating answers, which i've never seen in a study guide before.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks guys, I actually never thought about Bio and Chem for dummies, hahah. I'll look into those and I'm going to check out the American Chemical Society stuff too, thanks

Alright, I'll keep that in mind. I have taken a chemistry class before, but it was sophomore year and my chem teacher was really strange, so even though I did good I don't feel like I learned much unfortunately. I took Bio last year, and I'm taking Anatomy/Phis this year so I just pretty much want to brush up on Bio outside of the body to make sure I have a basic understanding before college starts.

Hmm, have you thought about an AP Exam prep book? I have the Princeton Review right now for AP Bio and it basically outlines everything we've learned this year... otherwise I would just poke around Borders, or Books-A-Million or whichever big bookstore's nearest to you and look through a few, then choose the one you like best.

Even better, if you're near a university see if there's a store that sells text books, they'll probably have a lot of stuff to choose from.