Going up for tenure and promotion--experiences, advice, commiseration?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureapppsy2

Assistant professor
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going up for tenure this year (at an R1) and was wondering if any posters would be willing to share their experiences or if anyone just wanted to commiserate! I turned in my materials for external review in May, and the internal materials are due in September. I'm a bit nervous, not gonna lie, but hopeful that I've "done enough."

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Unfortunately you haven't published enough, the bar is now 200 pubs. ;)

Take a breathe and find something fun to do. If you can't make tenure, the system needs to shut down.

Reactions: 8 users
Plan your "I Just Got Tenure" party. Maybe rent a golf cart to decorate, and drive around campus. Get reservations at your favorite restaurant. Buy some champagne, confetti cannons, etc. Learn the how far tenure can protect you: Lord Byron brought a bear to Trinity College, why not you?

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
race drifting GIF

This seems like a fun way to celebrate with a colleague around campus.

Reactions: 4 users
Congratulations on all you've accomplished so far! The next step is an important one with significant implications, and I'm not surprised to hear you are a bit nervous. I was too. Even though my colleagues were confident, previous Rank & Tenure reviews had been positive, and my loved ones had a "if-you-can't-get-tenure-the-system-is-broken" attitude, I couldn't help myself from considering the possibility I'd be denied and imagining what my back up plan might be. For me, I realized going up for tenure was a once in a lifetime event, if I were denied I was clear I'd move into industry and wouldn't look back. That understanding made the waiting time easier and helped me appreciate each letter as they trickled in...my materials were also due in september, then the department endorsement came ~Nov, Dean's letter of support ~Jan, R&T recommendation ~March, President's letter ~May. Officially tenured, 6/1/22. We celebrated each mini-milestone and still have a late summer BBQ planned in a park in my hometown to bring family and old friends together for a big party.

I agree with PsyDr. Plan your celebrations, they're well earned, and think about what this new status really means for your career and life. Which parts do you want to trim? Which parts do you want to enhance? Congratulations!

Reactions: 7 users
Hi all,

Question for the group--would not having many manuscripts under review when I submit my tenure packet be an issue? I've been trying to get some out before I submit in ~2 weeks, but other stuff keeps getting in the way (also, I supervised 8 students this summer--never again, because that was exhausting). I'm worried it could be seen negatively in terms of future productivity, but on the other hand, I have 100+ publications and two research grants (one just starting in October).

Thanks!

Congratulations!!!:soexcited::clap::biglove::banana::bow::highfive:
(Sorry but I love me some emojis!)

Reactions: 1 user
Plan your "I Just Got Tenure" party. Maybe rent a golf cart to decorate, and drive around campus. Get reservations at your favorite restaurant. Buy some champagne, confetti cannons, etc. Learn the how far tenure can protect you: Lord Byron brought a bear to Trinity College, why not you?

Byron was an undergraduate when he did that, Cambridge is a strange place