Gifts for rec letter writers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kelsyeraw

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I initially wrote thank you letters for willingness to write my rec letters but now being accepted, I wanted to write back with an update and a small gift. For a clinic that I got most of my hours at, I'm thinking a small gift basket for the whole staff to share. Need to get something for my professors that wrote rec letters too. Any ideas? It has to be something I can ship.

Members don't see this ad.

Gift cards are the best, that's what i did.

Reactions: 1 users
I would say a personal thank you letter is above and beyond, and a gift is borderline inappropriate. You're entering into a highly professional atmosphere, and while I understand you want to express your gratitude to those that helped you get to where you are, they are working professionals who are doing their due diligence to perpetuate the standard of their profession. Similarly, you will have an obligation to recommend qualified applicants in the future. I've never rec'd anybody for graduate education, but I was point-blank told to never offer a gift (beyond buying a drink) to a recommending superior officer when I was still active duty. In all likelihood, they will appreciate the time you took to write a thank you note.

Just my experience, your mileage may vary.

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent my LOR writers starbucks giftcards. Coffee is always a safe bet. If you're concerned about inappropriateness, the trick is to do it around the Holiday season when EVERYONE is getting gifts. Usually around that time deadlines are up too, so likely your apps have already been submitted and you can also give them a quick update.

I sent my LOR writers a coffee mug from my accepted school! (I knew them all very well.)