GI Board Review Course: Mayo vs Steinberg vs Random

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greensleeves

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone

I'm currently in my 3rd year of GI fellowship, and now looking into GI board review courses.

I have heard good things about both Mayo and Steinberg review courses. Here are some questions I was hoping some of you can help me with:

1. After taking either of these review courses, do we get access to the recorded version for a few months afterwards?
2. Did you find Mayo or Steinberg helpful. If so, why ?
3. I would say my weakest subject is liver. Do either of these courses have a good liver review?
4. Anything else about GI board review courses I should know?

I have been a long time member of SDN since my pre-med days. Thank you SDN!
Much appreciated everyone!

Greensleeves

Members don't see this ad.

Steinberg liver is basically Mitch schiffman and mark russo which are mostly on acg universe already from previous acg hepatology school

Members don't see this ad :)
Steinberg and ACG self-assessment and ACG Review and of course in the 3 years of fellowship read DDSEP and did the questions

I took the test in 2017 and somehow got an 800 despite missing some questions. I used 3 resources to prepare:
-DDSEP - questions and explanations only, not the actual book
-Acing the GI boards - took the course in LA (was free to first 50 fellows to register or somerhing). I read parts of the book, although most of it was already covered in the course
-Summary statements on guidelines from ACG, AASLD, ASGE.

I also watched 2 Steinberg lectures (one on intro to liver, one on diarrhea) that were a few years old. I think there were maybe 20 some odd lectures but I didn't have time to watch them (though they seemed solid).

My advice is not to worry too much about the test because the first time pass rate is incredibly high.

Steinberg in the summer after graduation (if possible). Mayo Before the Exam or in Spring of Graduation.
I personally liked both of them. See if they available for Online classes

Hi everyone,

Taking the exam next year but trying to get an idea of a schedule and what resources to focus on. I have the acing the GI board review series, DDSEP, and Steinberg book and questions series. For the Mayo board review, I have the textbook, but is the PDF of the board review course also worth it? I never registered for an actual board review course yet

So the ACG self asssessment tests are 70% for passing...do people feel like this correlated well with passing the real boards? Thanks!