Getting More Tattoos?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FrkyBgStok

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok. I don't want to hear any "don't do it" as that isn't what this thread is about. I also don't need any personal opinions about tattoos. Frankly, I don't care what they are.

I have been accepted to med school and am way pumped. I also currently have a full sleeve tattoo on my right arm. I talked to a student at one of my interviews with a visible tattoo and said that no one really cares, but it was a single image. I have a full sleeve, completely filled in from wrist to shoulder.

I plan on wearing long sleeves during rotations if needed and runners arms during surgical ones where I can remove them at the last possible moment. I worked in a hospital and had my sleeve visible all of the time and never had any issues. I was also a transporter, not a doctor. I am also aware and willing to wear long sleeves the rest of my life if I need to, which having a lab coat or wearing a long sleeve button down makes this an easily solved problem.

My question is, based on me having a sleeve already on my right arm, are there any good reasons not to get one on my left arm. I love tattoos and plan on getting fairly covered but none on my face/hands/neck etc. They can be covered up in most situations. Again, I don't want to hear "tattoos are never a good idea." I don't care how people feel about them. I am wondering if I would be wrong in thinking having one sleeve will look no different than two sleeves as i will be wearing long sleeves anyway. In short, will having two sleeves look the same as having one?

I am posting it here and not in residency ones because I am not yet a med student or resident and it isn't directly related. Plus, enough come into pre-osteo.

Also, I do not want to change who I am. I love tattoos and don't ever plan on getting them removed and would be unhappy in a program that didn't accept me. If that means not being an orthopedic surgeon or dermatologist unless I get everything removed, I would forgo those. Currently, I am interested in all fields, but ER comes close to the top.

Thanks for the input and sorry about the long post.

Members don't see this ad.

I think a one-arm tattoo sleeve looks cooler than sleeves on both arms. Example (Dwayne Johnson):

tattoos-for-men-3.jpeg

I know Dwayne doesn't have a full sleeve, but if he did, the one full sleeve would look better than if both arms were fully tatted. You could get some on the non-sleeved arm (like he did with his bull tattoo)... but it'd look better if there was a difference in amount between the two arms. It'd be more catchy that way, I think.

I'm no expert though. If you disagree about the "coolness" of a one sleeve, then there's probably no other reason you shouldn't get both arms sleeved up.

I think a one-arm tattoo sleeve looks cooler than sleeves on both arms. Example (Dwayne Johnson):

I know Dwayne doesn't have a full sleeve, but if he did, the one full sleeve would look better than if both arms were fully tatted. You could get some on the non-sleeved arm (like he did with his bull tattoo)... but it'd look better if there was a difference in amount between the two arms. It'd be more catchy that way, I think.

Are you going to get a chest tattoo as an extension of your sleeve?? That'd look pretty neat too.

I agree with this. I'm usually against double sleeves. I think having an asymmetrical look is a lot more appealing.

However to answer your question: if you already have one full sleeve, there's no downside to having two full sleeves. Either way if you have to cover up, you're going to be wearing a longsleeve shirt.

Having visible tattoos in ER makes you a badass by the way.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a half sleeve on my right arm and currently work as a dentist. Its never been an issue. I don't plan on getting any more for now because I don't want anymore. If you want more go ahead. I'd still try to keep them hidden as you still have to match a residency program.

Medicine is a very conservative field and you are better off not drawing attention like that to yourself. You already have one sleeve, however, so I guess getting a second sleeve will not do any additional damage. I think you should wait until you match your residency or, if you must have a new tattoo now, make sure it is have restricted to your shoulder and upper bicep. You do have to wear scrubs on some services, which will likely expose your tattoo if it extends past the upper bicep. In general you are not allowed to wear a long t-shirt under your scrubs.

Medicine is a very conservative field and you are better off not drawing attention like that to yourself. You already have one sleeve, however, so I guess getting a second sleeve will not do any additional damage. I think you should wait until you match your residency or, if you must have a new tattoo now, make sure it is have restricted to your shoulder and upper bicep. You do have to wear scrubs on some services, which will likely expose your tattoo if it extends past the upper bicep. In general you are not allowed to wear a long t-shirt under your scrubs.

I think we should all get full sleeves and wear short-sleeved scrubs. Time to rock the NEW physician image. Screw the old-timers; they can't fire us all!

I'd love to see your tats! I have 2 large ones, one on each arm. I have a caduceus on my right (I know about the misconception of the caduceus and the rod of Aesculapius, but I got the caduceus because I was first and foremost a Combat Medic in the Army, and that is the Medical Corps symbol, misconception or not), and a personal remake of a war shield I got off of the game WoW with the Taurus symbol traded for the Horde symbol.

I plan on working both into quarter sleeves, and getting my sons name on my rib cage area near my heart in Hebrew, since his name and my name come from the same name (Ivan and Ian).

I've had one patient give me gripe because one tattoo was visible when I was rounding the floors as a RT. I ended up coding him, and he and I became the best of friend afterwards. This was one patient out of nearly 15000 or so during the last 6 years (RT's can see upwards of 40 Pts a day).

RRT

When aren't you allowed to wear anything under your scrubs? I know for a fact that during surgery, our medical director wears 3/4 sleeves under because long sleeves get in the way when he scrubs up and dons his sterile gloves. I work at a teaching hospital, and the residents in the ER and some of the nursing staff are all into under armor or the nike equivalent underneath. There are also people that have very dry skin. Not a good idea for them to not protect their skin when they can't get to lotion.

RRT

I am so envious of you right meow. I have a tatoo on my back and shoulder and cannot wait to get a full sleeve done. Just haven't got around to it cause I'm not exactly sure what I want or what theme I would like to go with.

If you already have a full sleeve, might as well get a second if that's what u want. And even though medicine is a conservative field as someone mentioned, things are changing and even though its happening at a slow rate it is happening. So do what u want and if like usaid someone discriminates against you cause of the tat than u probably don't wanna be at that program. I say go for it. Do what u wanna do. I know I will and cannot wait till I get my sleeve.

When aren't you allowed to wear anything under your scrubs? I know for a fact that during surgery, our medical director wears 3/4 sleeves under because long sleeves get in the way when he scrubs up and dons his sterile gloves. I work at a teaching hospital, and the residents in the ER and some of the nursing staff are all into under armor or the nike equivalent underneath. There are also people that have very dry skin. Not a good idea for them to not protect their skin when they can't get to lotion.

RRT

It is pretty standard policy not to wear anything under your scrubs.

Without Color
tat2.jpg

With Color, but the picture and reflection does not give the tattoo justice.
war2.jpg

My Caduceus (Latin scrip translates to: Through perseverance Greatness is achieved)
tat.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Believe it or not, our admin has made it known that males and females SHOULD wear clothing other than underwear under their scrubs.

I would rather have a doc with tats treat me vs one that has his taco meat leaking out of his V neck line....

RRT

haha. this thread is promising. i love it. thanks for the input. i don't have any good pics but i will track one down. it is abstract art.

here are a couple. the first one didnt work, but you get the idea. Love the work rtt.

Attachments

• tattoo2.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 354
  • tattoo3.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 329
I am wondering if I would be wrong in thinking having one sleeve will look no different than two sleeves as i will be wearing long sleeves anyway. In short, will having two sleeves look the same as having one?

One sleeve definitely looks cooler than two. But, I think you are asking if two sleeves would be looked down upon more than one in a professional setting? I don't think it will, so in that case, I agree that two sleeves looks no different than one. I personally don't want any tattoos, but I think they can look really awesome when done right.

If you want two, get two, I don't think it will hurt your chances at anything, but I think one just looks cooler.

Believe it or not, our admin has made it known that males and females SHOULD wear clothing other than underwear under their scrubs.

I would rather have a doc with tats treat me vs one that has his taco meat leaking out of his V neck line....

RRT
Not that it matters to you right now, but when I was trained to scrub I was told if anything can be seen under my scrubs it was a no-no. Obviously, I wore underwear, but a white tee was discouraged because its from off the street and can peak out before you're gowned.

Interesting, does the sleeve go all the way up to your deltoid?

Not being sarcastic at all, but does a tattoo from your wrist to your elbow count as a sleeve? I thought it was deltoid down to elbow, or further.

here are a couple. the first one didnt work, but you get the idea. Love the work rtt.

These look awesome Stok. You weren't joking when you said "I have a full sleeve, completely filled in." :laugh:

I like the jagged edge design at the wrist, too. :thumb up:

And for the scrubs discussion... I've never heard of not being able to wear anything underneath scrubs. Is it like that at most schools? I'd think it'd be nice to wear some under-armor or a t-shirt inside to keep warm. Might as well not wear any underwear too.

Not being sarcastic at all, but does a tattoo from your wrist to your elbow count as a sleeve? I thought it was deltoid down to elbow, or further.

Haha, stupid question by me.That obviously would not be considered a sleeve if it just went from wrist to elbow. Cool tattoo nonetheless.

I think there's a difference between full sleeve and half sleeve. Full sleeve being shoulder to wrist, half sleeve being shoulder to elbow (and I guess, elbow to wrist, but I've never really seen it done this way before).

Dang it. I always thought one looked better as well. But this past couple years gave me a change of opinion. rabble rabble.

I have two full sleeves, and my chest is completely done. My left arm is all color and my right arm is black and grey shading. I was in the same boat as you, "should I or should I not do both arms," I wanted both done but liked the offset look, the two color schemes achieved that.

That being said, you are already accepted, I say go for it. I know lots of physicians that LOVE tattoos. No worries mate, ink up.

I really doubt additional "damage" can be done if you already have a sleeve. I'm not one to get tattoos myself because I'm always afraid to regret them at an older age, but if it's your thing, don't let the possibility of some pretentious, judgmental pricks stop you from doing it.

I think I'm going to get a simple tattoo a little bit under my shoulders before I go to medical school. Something like a few interconnected black circles.

Kinda like this design.
groudon.jpg

Except without looking like a giant lizard or like the murderer from Dan Brown's Lost Symbol.

Last edited:
Serenade: you want a pokemon on your shoulder?! I mean, more power to ya and all, and who am I to judge something that's hidden out of sight, but don't you think it's a little (for lack of a better word) ... "childish"? If there's a deep meaningful backstory, then please do tell.

Medicine is a very conservative field and you are better off not drawing attention like that to yourself. .... You do have to wear scrubs on some services, which will likely expose your tattoo if it extends past the upper bicep. In general you are not allowed to wear a long t-shirt under your scrubs.

:eek:

Stok: just go for it, man. It's a process, and you'll get it done eventually. And it's not like you can just wear one sleeve like LeBron while wearing scrubs or something, that just looks like you've got a developmental delay. I mean, with your full sleeve, you've willingly given up the choice to wear short sleeve shirts in a professional setting for the rest of your life. And like you said, you're totally cool with wearing long sleeve everything from here on out in a professional setting. I work with a bunch of docs in the ED that wear only long sleeve dress shirts and/or a white coat. (Turns out people rate you better and follow medications better when you wear a white coat. Who knew?!)

rrt: People wear long-sleeve underarmour under their scrubs? Man, that would get endless snickers from the two ED's I work at. Nothing wrong with UA, I actually wear their v-necks that never show underneath.

:eek:

Stok: just go for it, man. It's a process, and you'll get it done eventually. And it's not like you can just wear one sleeve like LeBron while wearing scrubs or something, that just looks like you've got a developmental delay. I mean, with your full sleeve, you've willingly given up the choice to wear short sleeve shirts in a professional setting for the rest of your life. And like you said, you're totally cool with wearing long sleeve everything from here on out in a professional setting. I work with a bunch of docs in the ED that wear only long sleeve dress shirts and/or a white coat. (Turns out people rate you better and follow medications better when you wear a white coat. Who knew?!)

rrt: People wear long-sleeve underarmour under their scrubs? Man, that would get endless snickers from the two ED's I work at. Nothing wrong with UA, I actually wear their v-necks that never show underneath.

Haha. A developmental delay. That is kind of how I thought it would be with the runner's arms. Just looking like I was trying to start a horrible fad and make everyone think I was don quixote.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Serenade: you want a pokemon on your shoulder?! I mean, more power to ya and all, and who am I to judge something that's hidden out of sight, but don't you think it's a little (for lack of a better word) ... "childish"? If there's a deep meaningful backstory, then please do tell.

No, I want a similar line pattern.

Lol, I am sure it would get snickers, but many people do it. To tell you the truth, I think it looks rather neat.

Laguna Med used to make really good under/sub scrubs that were approved by a few hospitals. They were made of bamboo cotton. I know Dickies has a sub scrub line.

I used to buy a tattoo make up that went on the bottom half of my tattoo that peaked below my sleeves, but then found that they do make long sleeve and 3/4 sleeve scrubs.

RRT

I just got my first tattoo yesterday (half sleeve) to celebrate getting into med school. It's something I've had planned for over 2 years, but was putting off until this occasion. I definitely agree with previous posters that if you have one sleeve, another one will serve no detriment, but I like the asymmetrical look of just having one. Maybe start with a back piece, and if you still want your other sleeve down the road, then you'll know it's worth getting

I just got my first tattoo yesterday (half sleeve) to celebrate getting into med school. It's something I've had planned for over 2 years, but was putting off until this occasion. I definitely agree with previous posters that if you have one sleeve, another one will serve no detriment, but I like the asymmetrical look of just having one. Maybe start with a back piece, and if you still want your other sleeve down the road, then you'll know it's worth getting
I also like the asymmetrical look of just one sleeve. That is what I would do. I don't have a sleeve, but I would like my next tattoo to be something on the inside of one of my biceps, I don't know why, but just sounds like some latin would fit in there well.

Yall are crazy! I don't have the stones to get a full sleeve, but I would keep it at one sleeve. There is a fine line between expressing yourself and overdoing it IMO.

I don't know about other people, but I don't get tattoos to express myself. I get them to mark important memories/dates/events that happen in my life. I could care less what other people think about my tattoos.

Professionalism is a pretty big deal in med school, you're going to want to cover it.
Day-to-day class it'll depend on your school, the class and the dress code, but it wouldn't be a big deal at my school.

There are going to be plenty of times where you're going to need to put on long sleeves, don't fight it, just play the game and do as you please when you get your degree/residency.

There are times when people are going to be evaluating you on what amounts to little more than how much they like you, don't give anyone any reason not to.

Professionalism is a pretty big deal in med school, you're going to want to cover it.
Day-to-day class it'll depend on your school, the class and the dress code, but it wouldn't be a big deal at my school.

There are going to be plenty of times where you're going to need to put on long sleeves, don't fight it, just play the game and do as you please when you get your degree/residency.

There are times when people are going to be evaluating you on what amounts to little more than how much they like you, don't give anyone any reason not to.

I agree and for that reason I won't be getting any more until later on.

I agree with you and plan on covering everything up whenever I need to or can for that reason. I am aware of the system and don't plan on fighting, just trying to fly below the radar as much as possible until I get through. I can't change the game, nor do I plan to try.

I work in the ER, and there are multiple doctors who have tattoos, one sports a half sleeve and the other has tats on his arms (not a sleeve) but all over, and neither of them bother to cover them up. From what i've seen so far, nobody really seems to care. I'd say go for it if you really want them.

I agree with this. I'm usually against double sleeves. I think having an asymmetrical look is a lot more appealing.

However to answer your question: if you already have one full sleeve, there's no downside to having two full sleeves. Either way if you have to cover up, you're going to be wearing a longsleeve shirt.

Having visible tattoos in ER makes you a badass by the way.

"Dr. Badass, Please report to the ER" lol:D But honestly do what makes you happy and as long as it doesn't get you in complete 'trouble' you'll be fine.

Keep us posted with pics. Idk what I'll get. I want a scene. Specifically a phoenix coming pit of the ash holding the rod of A. Of course after my hopeful acceptance

Many hospitals have strict rules for surgery. At my med school, all staff were required to wear the hospital provided scrubs with no undershirts allowed. Faculty, residents and med students alike. If you showed up looking otherwise, you were sent back to fix it.

If your medical school is highly conservative and you want to do surgery, stop with visible tats now. If not, you should be able to cover your arms in other fields.

Many hospitals have strict rules for surgery. At my med school, all staff were required to wear the hospital provided scrubs with no undershirts allowed. Faculty, residents and med students alike. If you showed up looking otherwise, you were sent back to fix it.

If your medical school is highly conservative and you want to do surgery, stop with visible tats now. If not, you should be able to cover your arms in other fields.

....too late. What would your hospital think of running sleeves? Basically just sleeves that would go on my arms but wouldn't be attached to a shirt underneath. Something you could see patients with and then slide off before scrubbing.

Basically these:
http://www.amazon.com/Nathan-2028NG-Reflective-Running-Sleeves/dp/B002ZIWWBA

Last edited:
So if its freezing in a hospital, most wont let you wear anything under scrubs?

So if its freezing in a hospital, most wont let you wear anything under scrubs?

Yeah it sounds kind of silly... I don't see how an undershirt could possibly inhibit learning/performance. Shivering hands in the OR sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I doubt it's like this at every school though. Almost everyone I've seen wearing scrubs has something under their scrub-top... whether a long sleeve shirt, another short sleeve shirt, tanktop, or underarmor.

I hope so! Im that one person who wears sweats and a hoody in the summer!! Im just ALWAYS cold

....too late. What would your hospital think of running sleeves? Basically just sleeves that would go on my arms but wouldn't be attached to a shirt underneath. Something you could see patients with and then slide off before scrubbing.

Basically these:
http://www.amazon.com/Nathan-2028NG-Reflective-Running-Sleeves/dp/B002ZIWWBA

Not allowed. The hospital required strict cleaning for top quality hygiene. Only their scrubs properly sterilized are allowed in the OR. The hospital can't guarantee your sleeves don't have germs spreading over your arms. Not to mention, you can't scrub-in without scrubbing up to your elbow.