Getting licensed in NY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PolarBearFire

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like some advice on getting licensed(registered Pharmacist) in NY State. I'm going to be probably going to school in Maryland or Massachusetts. What's the procedure and where would I get the study material for the licensing tests specific to NY? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I'm someone trying to reciprocate my current pharmacist license to NY so I can relay what I had to do:

1. Complete Form 1 (available on the NY state board of pharmacy website) and return it to NY state board with a check for $339.
2. Apply to NABP to get their "Official Application for License Transfer" sent to you. Pay $300 to NABP.
3. Complete the Official Application and send it to NY state board.
4. Wait until NY state board tells NABP you're in good standing/allowed to transfer your license. They email you an ATT #.
5. You use this ATT # to sign up to take the NY MPJE. Pay $185 for the exam.

Requirements to transfer your license to NY are:

1. Must have worked as a licensed pharmacist (note, industry does not count - you have to be practicing pharmacy in a setting that involves you handling medicine - i.e. hospital, retail, etc.) for at least 1 year prior to applying - 1 year counts as 2080 hours without working more than 40 hours per week. Written verification of this from your employer is necessary.

2. All the above forms/steps mentioned.

If you are reciprocating, you don't have to take the compounding exam. If you are a new grad, you will have to take the NAPLEX, MPJE and compounding exam.

Good luck!

do whatever you can to not take the compounding exam if you do not go to school in NY.

its administered twice a year and if you fail you have to wait six months and will not be licensed until you pass.

do whatever you can to not take the compounding exam if you do not go to school in NY.

its administered twice a year and if you fail you have to wait six months and will not be licensed until you pass.

I second that. I went to school in NYS. As an added bit of info, the compounding exam in NY is 60% lab and 40% written. The written test is easy, but the compounding is nerve racking. One mistake and you could lose 20 points on a product (considered a full maximum deduction if a fatal error). That leaves you with 5 points left (remember passing is 75%) on the rest of the entire exam.

In addition, NYS law is considered the hardest, or in the top 5.

I recommend two things: in NYS you can take the compounding exam early if you get the right number of hours (middle of the P4 year, end of P3 year). Do it. It gives you more chances since it's only twice a year. I recommend the review sponsored by University at Buffalo in May. It's a compounding and law review. The law review is amazing. It's expensive but do it. I don't know of many people who pass law simply by reading NYS's laws, but it could be done I suppose.

good luck
Steve