getting into vaccine research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mike_01_01_01

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
2 unusual questions -
1) how does one get into vaccine/medical research (eg researching HIV or malaria)? molecular bio grad school? virology? microbiology? (MD only if necessary. but probably just PhD)
2) how can I get into said grad school with a very limited bio/chem background? -- take classes how? a 2nd BA? non-degree classes at extension school (eg Harvard?)? post-bac program?

Here's the unusual background story - I'm 24 and getting a Masters in physics from a good program. I've got very good undergrad/grad GPA's (3.9 overall, 4.0 math/science) but sadly my undergrad degree was in economics (I tried selling out but it didn't take, then switched into physics grad school, which is an entirely different story).
I've finally figured out that I'd like to do vaccine research or maybe chemistry research. (by vaccines, I mean research on real diseases like malaria and AIDS, and NOT the so-called epidemics according to big pharmo like 'female sexual dysfunction disorder.') I've got no research experience to speak of and just one year of chemistry classes.

Thanks for reading this and for your time. Very much appreciated.

Mike

Members don't see this ad.

so, anyone, postbac a good option to go back for a PhD or is that just dumb?

I honestly don't know.. You should contact grad schools you're interested in and see what the advisors say. That might help a lot more.

Post-baccs for pre-meds probably won't help you out much.