Getting into US recidency as an European?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Croin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am from Germany and a graduate student in electrical engineering. After finishing my Master I want to change my field of study towards medicine.
In Germany I won't get accepted into a medical school, no matter how hard I try because I am already holding a degree and it's impossible to get into medicine with my degree.
I've taken the decision to apply at the Comenius University in Bratislava (Slovakia) for the English program, after finishing the degree I won't have a problem to get a residency in Germany.
But I know that it's very different in the states.

So how are the chances to get a residency in the US, in my case?
Would I improve my chances if I start a residency in Germany?
Would my chances be better if I get a degree from a western European University (Viena?)

I am asking the questions now because I want to know weather I should try the USMLE or not.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I am from Germany and a graduate student in electrical engineering. After finishing my Master I want to change my field of study towards medicine.
In Germany I won't get accepted into a medical school, no matter how hard I try because I am already holding a degree and it's impossible to get into medicine with my degree.
I've taken the decision to apply at the Comenius University in Bratislava (Slovakia) for the English program, after finishing the degree I won't have a problem to get a residency in Germany.
But I know that it's very different in the states.

So how are the chances to get a residency in the US, in my case?
Would I improve my chances if I start a residency in Germany?
Would my chances be better if I get a degree from a western European University (Viena?)

I am asking the questions now because I want to know weather I should try the USMLE or not.

Thanks!

It might improve your chances if you went to a western uni like Vienna, especially since Vienna is a bit famous for medicine, but the difference is mainly between West and Eastern europe.

It wouldn't improve your chances by starting residency in Germany as they prefer someone who they can teach and mold not someone set in their ways although i can imagine it likely won't hurt as long as you are perfectly happy redoing residency in the US.

If you really want US that badly its worth writing it, but if you can get residency in Germany and be a doctor in Germany that is a good option already.