Getting into medical school without being vaccinated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IAmTheBest35

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was just wondering if there were any schools that don't force you to take this vaccine? I haven't changed my lifestyle one bit since the pandemic started and neither me or my entire family who are also unvaccinated have had no issues at all. So I don't see any reason to get it, and being forced by somebody just isn't a good enough reason for me to do it. Maybe I can find a reason to get vaccinated and then I would do it, but if literally the only reason I'm doing it is because of peer pressure or something like that, i just wouldn't be able to justify that for myself. So anyway. I have good stats and wrote great essays for my secondaries. No interviews yet. Was wondering what I should expect as an unvaccinated individual going forward.

Members don't see this ad.

• Okay...
  • Dislike
  • Angry
Reactions: 16 users
Did you get all of your other vaccines because you were peer pressured to do so? Or to prevent communicable diseases? To answer your question I highly doubt that it is a requirement for admission anywhere, however all schools are going to require a copy of your vaccine records not just of COVID, which you will have to complete after admission. With surges in COVID numbers who knows if COVID vaccines will be required, but I assume they will be.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys, I was just wondering if there were any schools that don't force you to take this vaccine? I haven't changed my lifestyle one bit since the pandemic started and neither me or my entire family who are also unvaccinated have had no issues at all. So I don't see any reason to get it, and being forced by somebody just isn't a good enough reason for me to do it. Maybe I can find a reason to get vaccinated and then I would do it, but if literally the only reason I'm doing it is because of peer pressure or something like that, i just wouldn't be able to justify that for myself. So anyway. I have good stats and wrote great essays for my secondaries. No interviews yet. Was wondering what I should expect as an unvaccinated individual going forward.
What about knowledge, logic, and medical science as a reason to be immunized? A much better reason than peer pressure. I expect med schools will require you to be vaccinated before having patient contact.

• Love
Reactions: 20 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did you get all of your other vaccines because you were peer pressured to do so? Or to prevent communicable diseases? To answer your question I highly doubt that it is a requirement for admission anywhere, however all schools are going to require a copy of your vaccine records not just of COVID, which you will have to complete after admission. With surges in COVID numbers who knows if COVID vaccines will be required, but I assume they will be.
THIS^^^^^. If you are American, you have been forced to subject yourself to a whole bunch of vaccines to be allowed to attend grade school, middle school, high school, college, etc.

Med school will be no different. You can rest assured that the vaccines will be fully approved by this time next year, and that if the pandemic is still a thing (and there is no reason to think it won't be), you should expect to meet whatever admission requirements are established by whatever school you are accepted to, including COVID vaccinations, or to not be allowed to enroll.

Period. Full stop. Personal freedom and political arguments aside, if being allowed to attend medical school is not a sufficient justification to protect yourself and others from a highly communicable, deadly virus, then being a doctor is probably not as important to you as you think. More importantly, no school would want to train you to enter the profession if you are so set on putting your own wants and beliefs ahead of the science and ahead of protecting yourself, patients and colleagues.

Edit -- maybe FL schools won't have a mandate, depending on how the lawsuit between the state and one of the cruise lines pans out. :) As @wysdoc knows, even hospitals in a place as conservative as TX are requiring employees to be vaccinated. It's inconceivable that med students would be exempt.

Reactions: 7 users
What about knowledge, logic, and medical science as a reason to be immunized? A much better reason than peer pressure. I expect med schools will require you to be vaccinated before having patient contact.
How about student contact, administrator contact, or professor contact? :)

It will be really interesting to see what requirements schools place on candidates if they decide to do in person second looks in the spring, which, to my knowledge, many schools were planning on going back to this cycle.

Was wondering what I should expect as an unvaccinated individual going forward.
It is inconceivable that you would not be required to vaccinate to attend as soon as the vaccines clear full FDA approval. But aside from the practical requirement, your refusal to vaccinate speaks to both your lack of ability to critically evaluate scientific information and your lack of commitment to public health. I don't think any medical school will want anything to do with you bearing those factors in mind.

Reactions: 13 users
If you haven't taken the time to properly educate yourself on this topic, I suggest you do so. You are applying to be a healthcare professional who will be interacting and entrusted with the lives of vulnerable people. Your opinion as a physician will also carry weight in the community by virtue of your training and perceived expertise. If you believe that you have been sufficiently educated on this topic and still "don't see any reason to get [the vaccine]", I sincerely suggest pursuing another career where your opinion/inaction will not cause others significant harm. The amount of damage that can be brought by a thoughtless or deliberately ignorant physician cannot be overstated. Just my thoughts.

• Love
Reactions: 19 users

1) Your essays, stats, etc are utterly meaningless to this discussion as are the health, condition or situation of your family.
2) Even if accepted, you will have pre-matriculation at which point evidence of vaccination or immunity via titers will be required before you are able to enroll
3) The impact on your health is irrelevant but the impact on others, who you endanger both directly and indirectly is what matters.
Since COVID can infect asymptomatically and passed on to others, you endanger classmates, faculty, and most of all, those patients you may meet in hospital who are already ill and thus automatically increase their risks to any infection, including COVID. This is the direct affect.
4) The indirect affect is simply adding to the population of hosts for COVID that allow it infect, replicate, and mutate. This is why the Delta variant has be able to take hold as the majority variant with Lambda coming up quickly. You are seeing evolution on global scale in real time.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
This is a profession dedicated to the service of others. All I read is you talking about yourself.

Vaccines are not just about you.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
What part of you thought this was a good idea to ask?

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
You have to be vaccinated to go to elementary and high school. All the cool kids did it. Y’know because of peer pressure.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Unrelated directly to admissions, as someone working on a university campus -- we've been required to submit proof of COVID vaccination to be allowed back on campus. This goes for staff, faculty, and students. There was some "wiggle room" for those with exemptions, but those individuals will be tested twice weekly moving forward (regardless of the reason for their exemption). I recognize that this is a pretty firm stance on the school's part, and not every school is like this, but it's the theme for the universities in my area.

So, you might not be required to be vaccinated to gain admission, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were required to attend.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
If you want to set foot on a medical school campus, you'd better get that vaccine.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.