Getting into Georgetown (or any SMP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chasingmytail

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Ok so I've decided to shoot for the SMP instead of extra undergrad science classes. I was wondering if someone could give me an opinion on stats necessary to get into the Georgetown SMP. I graduated with a 3.1 overall GPA and 3.0 science from a pretty competitive university. Havent taken the MCAT yet, but got a 30 on a practice. Provided I do well enough on the real MCAT, do you think my chances are decent? Also, the website states to send in an app before taking the MCAT (in April) bc they are willing to wait for scores. Will taking the April MCAT hurt my chances?

For those of you who applied to SMP's, do you mind posting stats? Thanks, ;)

Members don't see this ad.

chasingmytail said:
Hi there,

Ok so I've decided to shoot for the SMP instead of extra undergrad science classes. I was wondering if someone could give me an opinion on stats necessary to get into the Georgetown SMP. I graduated with a 3.1 overall GPA and 3.0 science from a pretty competitive university. Havent taken the MCAT yet, but got a 30 on a practice. Provided I do well enough on the real MCAT, do you think my chances are decent? Also, the website states to send in an app before taking the MCAT (in April) bc they are willing to wait for scores. Will taking the April MCAT hurt my chances?

I am going to be attending Georgetown's SMP this fall. You can see my stats in my profile if you want. I think that the earlier you apply, the better, as they do have like 800 applicants for 150 spots. If you feel ready now, and getting a 30 is probably ready, maybe you should sign up for the MCAT this August. I think you can still register. If you need to, you could retake it in April. I think taking it in April would hurt your chances, but I'm not sure by how much. However, if you did really well on the April one because you had more time to study, then it might actually be beneficial. Just my two cents.

chasingmytail said:
Hi there,

Hey chasing... gotta admit, I was in your spot just a few months ago... seems kidna weird now to be talking about the program as someone who is in it now (well, soon, anyway).

I was accepted with a 2.9 overall and something like a 2.8 science. My MCAT score was a 36.

I think you would have a good shot at the program, overall. I would apply as early as possible. As Tacrum pointed out, they had a ton of apps for the spots they had, and I think the earlier you can get them to review you, the better.

Also, I have to agree with Tacrum, if you feel you are ready, I would take the August MCAT, if you can. If not, then take the April. I don't think the April MCAT hurts you, per se, but again, as I was mentioning, the sooner you can get your full app in, the better off you are. Waiting for April MCAT scores means that by the time they can consider your app, there will have been hundreds of other applicants they will have looked at.

Members don't see this ad :)
chasingmytail said:
Hi there,

What are your plans for the intervening year by the by?

tacrum43 said:
What are your plans for the intervening year by the by?

Thanks for your replies and advice everyone.
Tactrum, I actually have to take Physics and Orgo next year because I haven't taken them yet. I think I scored a 30 on the practice because of luck, good logical guessing (thank God for the Verbal section), and going over some of the Kaplan Review. I doubt I would consecutively be able to score such a high score (for a beginner), esp. this August, although it's all about practice and mastering the technique so who knows. I also am basing my science GPA on only 6 science classes right now, but I hope to keep it above a 3.0 (or at least not let it dip too much). I'm also getting some clinical experience by working as a med. assistant and earning some extra money for next year. Is there also a January MCAT? I think that according to some posts, and my own experience, it is possible to take it without completing your sciences... It's gonna be a craaaaazy year :eek: