getting in to SGU or Ross

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elee20

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if I could get y'alls opinion on if you think I'd be able to get into SGU or Ross based on my undergrad gpa and assuming I did well on the MCAT. I currently have a 2.7(their are reasons why) with almost 2 years research experience, name on a patent, tons of shadowing, great LOR, and great extracurr. I'm not looking for prestige in a school, just an opportunity and a great education. Do I have a good chance at either one of these schools?

Members don't see this ad.

SGU will depend on your MCAT.

Ross, prob yes.
Both will look heavly at your science grades most of all. The more recent grades more so than the past ones.

SGU wanted me to retake my mcat.

I had an overall gpa close to yoursm but my I did 2 years of postbacc undergrad work.
I got my degree in economics. Graduated with a 2.4 and with a 1.8 science gpa.

Had a science gpa of 3.6 after I left my postbacc school.

anyways, best way to find out is to put the application in and see what happens.

I bet you'd have a good shot at SGU, too.

My GPA was a bit better than yours, but my MCAT was DEPLORABLE!!!! I think my undergrad work experiences helped out a lot.

Your clinical experiences will also be to your benefit.

Good Luck!

Brian

MS-II, SGU

Members don't see this ad :)
Manitoba has some curiculum still last i was there

Originally posted by Archangelesk99
Hi Brian and anyone else,

Im wondering...what did you guys make on the MCAT and what GPAs did you have? Im thinking about the Caribbean as well, thats why Im asking. Thanks in advance!

You will find a TON of info on stats if you do a search on this at ValueMD.com. Narrow down to individual forums to be more specific.

Archangelesk99--

My MCAT was 22 and my undergraduate GPA was 3.3.

If you have any questions regarding SGU or Grenada specifically, feel free to PM me!

Brian

There are always outliers, but by-and-large, students from SGU do quite well with regards to Residency placements (I can only attest to SGU since I'm currently a student there, but I'm pretty sure Ross students do well also. I've also heard of students from Saba getting decent residencies, too). If you do some research, I bet you'll find quite a few Attendings that did their Basic Sciences in the Caribbean.

The highly competitive fields are probably more difficult to get (Radiology or Ortho to name a couple), but they are not entirely unattainable (the Chief Radiation Oncology resident at Johns Hopkins is an SGU grad). The SGU website should list places where recent graduates have placed (www.sgu.edu). As far as Ross is concerned, I know for a fact that they have students in the Internal Medicine program here at Rochester General Hospital (which is affiliated with Strong Memorial/University of Rochester).

SGU has an excellent reputation, and Step I pass rates reflect that. I have also heard good things about Ross, but again, I really don't know too much about their program.

Good Luck, and let me know if I can be of further assistance!

Brian

I have heard of AUC. They are typically considered in the "Big Three" when people refer to Caribbean schools, SGU and Ross being the other two. Depending on who you talk to, SGU is considered the "best", while others say Ross is "best". These two schools in particular have good clinical contacts in place, and students tend to get good residencies. "Best" is, of course, a relative term. Both offer advantages and disadvantages, just like any school. Again, I can only attest to SGU.

As far as being equivalent to a US medical school, I think the quality of the Basic Science education (the only time you spend in the Caribbean--unless you want to do some clinical rotations there) equals or exceeds that of other US schools. Again, I don't know for sure, but our first time USMLE Step I pass rates are usually around 90%. We also get guest lecturers from around the United States, Canada, and UK who are quite good. Some have included attendings at Ohio State University, Weil Cornell Medical Center, Harvard, University of Toronto, and University of Rochester to name a few. My cousin graduated from SGU in May, and while on interviews for Residency, he was told by more than one program director that SGU is "not really considered a foreign medical school." The fact remains, however, that you ARE from a "non- U.S." school, and that may factor in when you go to choose a Residency program. Step I scores are very important in this respect.

So, SGU is eqivalent in the sense that we have some good professors (and some not-so-good ones), have a really nice campus, use many of the same text books, and do our clinical rotations right along with other US medical students. We're different in that we have a few extra hurdles to clear before attaining licensure, and still tend to have that stigma of being "forced" to attend a school in the Caribbean because we "couldn't get in to a U.S. School". This view is fading, but still remains among certain people.

Hope this helps!

Brian

Well, actually, the only extra hurdle is that we have to take and pass the TOEFL exam (Test of English as a Foreign Language). I hear it's basically a money-maker.

It used to be that foreign grads had to pass a Clinical Skills Assessment exam before graduation, but that test is now being incorporated into the USMLE Step II (Step II Clinical Skills, if I remember correctly), and US students must pass this as well.

Brian

Imbebo I sent you a PM.

rose13:)

I'm glad to read this posts as it gives me hope to get into one of the big three which I really look forward to. Their websites state average GPAs at 3.3ish and MCAT at 27ish. How did you get in lmbebo with 1.8/2.4? Please let me know as they're not consistent with the averages.

Thanks!