This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jetsetter7

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was enrolled at a university for 4.5 years and accumulated a 2.33 gpa. My last semester at the university, I had many personal problems the affected my grades and ended up failing 12 of the 16 credits I attempted. I decided then that I needed time away from school to mature as a student before attempting any more classes. I have most of my pharmacy pre-reqs complete and have not taken the PCAT. I plan to re-begin taking classes again this fall, 8 months after finishing my most recent semester, however I plan to take my future classes at a community college as cost is now a major factor. Many of the classes I plan to take will be retakes so that I can raise my GPA. Assuming I do fairly well on the PCAT (planning to spend 4-5 months studying for it), am able to raise my GPA to around 3.0ish through new CC classes and retakes (and maybe 1 or 2 retakes at university level), what are my chances of getting in? I will have at minimum 3-4 years experience as a retail tech at the time of applying, with multiple outstanding LORs and strong interview/writing skills. However, I have a bad history of retaking many classes and am not sure how retaking some at a CC will look on my app (every class I have taken/retaken at this point has been at the aforementioned university). I do not plan to apply until next year (fall 2019) in order to give myself enough time to complete 2-3 semesters of classes. Also, please spare me the lecture of trying to convince me that I will not succeed in pharm school or should change my plans. I have reached a point mentally where I know for a fact that this is what I want to do, and am wiling to do WHATEVER it takes to reach this goal.

EDIT: I also do not currently have my bachelor's, nor do I plan to have it when I apply next year.

Members don't see this ad.

I was enrolled at a university for 4.5 years and accumulated a 2.33 gpa. My last semester at the university, I had many personal problems the affected my grades and ended up failing 12 of the 16 credits I attempted. I decided then that I needed time away from school to mature as a student before attempting any more classes. I have most of my pharmacy pre-reqs complete and have not taken the PCAT. I plan to re-begin taking classes again this fall, 8 months after finishing my most recent semester, however I plan to take my future classes at a community college as cost is now a major factor. Many of the classes I plan to take will be retakes so that I can raise my GPA. Assuming I do fairly well on the PCAT (planning to spend 4-5 months studying for it), am able to raise my GPA to around 3.0ish through new CC classes and retakes (and maybe 1 or 2 retakes at university level), what are my chances of getting in? I will have at minimum 3-4 years experience as a retail tech at the time of applying, with multiple outstanding LORs and strong interview/writing skills. However, I have a bad history of retaking many classes and am not sure how retaking some at a CC will look on my app (every class I have taken/retaken at this point has been at the aforementioned university). I do not plan to apply until next year (fall 2019) in order to give myself enough time to complete 2-3 semesters of classes. Also, please spare me the lecture of trying to convince me that I will not succeed in pharm school or should change my plans. I have reached a point mentally where I know for a fact that this is what I want to do, and am wiling to do WHATEVER it takes to reach this goal.

EDIT: I also do not currently have my bachelor's, nor do I plan to have it when I apply next year.

If your willing to do what it takes and since no other healthcare program would ever consider you here’s what you do:

SLOW DOWN

1) Take more than 8 months off, at least between 1-2 years and get your thinking process together. Go get PTCB certified and “work.”

If it’s gen chem / OChem / molecular bio that you’ve consistently failed you need time to reflect and figure out if your mental capacity is an outlier or your truly in hard circumstances.

2) repeating at a CC level looks terrible...you took what’s supposed to be top-tier academic 4 year public school education and failed. Now your wanting to retake exact same courses at what’s deemed lower-tiered regionally accredited education. For GE classes understandable. For cheaper cost at least it’s reasoning. It’s your “timing” from public university to CC that’s the problem. Red flag.

3) As you reinvent your GPA do not at this point do the minimum. You need to branch out and get a bachelors degree. How many credits you have total? Is your science gpa higher or lower from your accumulative?

As far as cost: your going to be over 225K + in debt (I can sense it). If your mind truly is “Pharmacy-no-matter-the-price” then what’s it matter if you go to CC or public? The idea is to PROVE you can handle the rigors of school (no matter the cost right?) loans exist for a reason....even private ones....

My moral code wants to stop you, but if your persistent then do ALL of the above before even thinking of taking the PCAT (study yes, test no).

Tl;dr : Life’s a marathon not a sprint. Slow Down and treat your career the same way. Pharmacy School isn’t going anywhere especially Fall 2019.

Reactions: 1 users

Never give up and keep trying even if you have low GPA try to raise it up and study hard for the PCAT. Apply and give it a try you never know.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your willing to do what it takes and since no other healthcare program would ever consider you here’s what you do:

SLOW DOWN

1) Take more than 8 months off, at least between 1-2 years and get your thinking process together. Go get PTCB certified and “work.”

If it’s gen chem / OChem / molecular bio that you’ve consistently failed you need time to reflect and figure out if your mental capacity is an outlier or your truly in hard circumstances.

2) repeating at a CC level looks terrible...you took what’s supposed to be top-tier academic 4 year public school education and failed. Now your wanting to retake exact same courses at what’s deemed lower-tiered regionally accredited education. For GE classes understandable. For cheaper cost at least it’s reasoning. It’s your “timing” from public university to CC that’s the problem. Red flag.

3) As you reinvent your GPA do not at this point do the minimum. You need to branch out and get a bachelors degree. How many credits you have total? Is your science gpa higher or lower from your accumulative?

As far as cost: your going to be over 225K + in debt (I can sense it). If your mind truly is “Pharmacy-no-matter-the-price” then what’s it matter if you go to CC or public? The idea is to PROVE you can handle the rigors of school (no matter the cost right?) loans exist for a reason....even private ones....

My moral code wants to stop you, but if your persistent then do ALL of the above before even thinking of taking the PCAT (study yes, test no).

Tl;dr : Life’s a marathon not a sprint. Slow Down and treat your career the same way. Pharmacy School isn’t going anywhere especially Fall 2019.

sadly even if you did try and stop him, he wouldn't listen. it's sad...
just waiting for @stoichiometrist to tell this guy to avoid pharmacy school like the rest

I can’t stop the OP but I do have to warn of their possible outcomes:

Be $250k+ in debt and

1) Default on your debt due to underemployment or unemployment
2) Have to relocate and settle down 1500 miles away from family and friends in the middle of nowhere since that is literally the only place that is hiring
3) Fail out of school

However, I have a bad history of retaking many classes and am not sure how retaking some at a CC will look on my app

So you have already retaken classes. Did you pass those classes the second time around? And which classes?

You could probably get into pharm school but it's going to be a very expensive private school with a poor reputation.

Also, if you cannot handle undergrad coursework, what makes you think you can handle the PharmD curriculum? I would strongly reconsider since you may fail out and would still have to pay back the debt you've accumulated.

Reactions: 1 user
anyone know if you can get into pharm school without a letter of recommendation from a pharmacist?

anyone know if you can get into pharm school without a letter of recommendation from a pharmacist?

In general: yes.
Some schools require some form of professional health reference (pharmacist) some don’t.

Research and google is your best friend for each specific school and...especially....for these types of questions.

In general: yes.
Some schools require some form of professional health reference (pharmacist) some don’t.

Research and google is your best friend for each specific school and...especially....for these types of questions.

Makes sense, appreciate it

Can I just say, I am almost in an IDENTICAL situation?? I have never doubted whether I will get into pharmacy school. I am banking on the fact that by the time I apply I will have worked as a CPhT for almost 10 years, I will have awesome LORs, and I will *hopefully* do well on the PCAT (registered to take it this September). Plus I interview well. You can do it! And unless you can think of something better to do, why not? You're going to end up in debt at some point regardless.

GPA isn't a death sentence, but it does close some doors for you. I was able to get into an accredited pharmacy school with a 2.6 GPA. Perseverance is key!

Reactions: 1 user
GPA isn't a death sentence, but it does close some doors for you. I was able to get into an accredited pharmacy school with a 2.6 GPA. Perseverance is key!
What school did you get in?