Getting additional prelim interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

martianmonster

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congrats to everyone who matched! Can anyone shed any insight on what is the best way to reach out to prelim programs that I haven't previously applied to to see if I could receive a late interview invite?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to everyone who matched! Can anyone shed any insight on what is the best way to reach out to prelim programs that I haven't previously applied to to see if I could receive a late interview invite?

I'm assuming you mean near or in the city you might have matched at?
In that case email the program coordinator for your ophtho program to see if the program has any affiliation with local TYs and prelims. If not email the residents at the program. They usually know if there is anything.
Also email the program coordinators in the city stating that you matched at the ophtho program at so and so place and kindly ask if that program is still accepting applications and conducting interviews because you want to move to that city.
If they are accepting applications I would ask the residents at your ophtho program you matched at to see if asking the PD to send over a letter recommending you to that prelim would be a good idea. I know some PDs who have written letters for applicants in the past for them to get prelim in the same city.

I hope that helps.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm in a similar position, but due to a recent SO change in job--now trying my best to get some last minute local interviews at med prelims in an area remote from my now-home ophtho program. Any advice? Would be greatly appreciated.

I directed my PGY-1 apps only toward living together for my first year, and now that my SO has a new job we might end up living apart anyway. Trying my best to find any PGY-1 spot local to the new job but it's really late in the season and I'm not coming up with much.

Frankly I think you have a chance. I got a one or two invites very very late December and they told me everyone's cancelling a lot of the January/February interviews (maybe especially ophtho folks). I already cancelled a few as well. My suggestion is to send them some love letters to explain your situation.