Getting a bachelor's degree after a PharmD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beautifulrobot

Opinions are my own
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Edit: trying to figure out how to get a bachelor's degree after getting a pharm d, ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It would depend on the institution. From someone who recently finished school, the policy is that the credits must be no more than 5 years old to be considered for a degree. Universities are also pretty picky about where transfer credits come from...state-by-state or even region-by-region. I know someone who transferred from one public school to another in the same state and did not receive transfer equivalent credits.

I would check with a local college to see what their policies are. If you've been out of school for a while, you would probably have to start over. A bachelor's degree also requires the completion of a particular major. If you did not finish a major in college and pursued pharmacy school, you technically do not have enough credits to obtain any degree. The hours don't matter as much for a bachelor's degree as it is for the major completion.

This may not be helpful, but I think it would be rather difficult if you're trying to pursue a bachelor's using the credits from the past. Some grad schools allow you to just take the pre-reqs for their school and use the pharmD degree as your "bachelor's". You will see some PharmD graduates going back to school for an MBA or MPH as long as they have taken the required courses.

Reactions: 1 user
Like what graduate school prefers a Bachelor's to a PharmD? The PharmD is considered a both a "terminal" degree and a first degree depending on the institution and is classified as such for international equivalence by US Department of Education (PharmD is considered both a first and second cycle degree for the purposes of equivalence and I-9 issues). Unless you're really far out of your major for graduate school (and I mean something like MFA Instrument Performance or M. Div. Theology) where the undergraduate has a component that really is not equivalent to the background pharmacy training), for the normal Public Health, Social Science (Econ, Sociology, Demography), and even basic science like Computer Science or Mathematics, so long as you meet the subject prerequisites for graduate school and do ok on the GRE, they really don't care about the undergraduate major. (There is an implied preference for math majors in demography and economics, at least where College Park and GWU are concerned).

If the advice came from the prospective graduate school, I doubt you were given good advice from either the department level or graduate school admissions if that was what you were told (again unless you are going for fine arts or some sort of technical performance major which are very specialized in the type of student admitted).

Reactions: 1 users