Get down to it - Who gets in on ReApps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

collinscs

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi -
I know there are other threads with reapp questions in them, but i found them to be all over the place on not helpful at all - mainly just arguements between people. so let's keep this one more factual and less opinionated, ok? :oops:

Do med schools look very negatively on reapps?

What is your chance of getting in as a reapp if you didn't get in earlier due to mcat score?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi -
I know there are other threads with reapp questions in them, but i found them to be all over the place on not helpful at all - mainly just arguements between people. so let's keep this one more factual and less opinionated, ok? :oops:

What is your chance of getting in as a reapp if you didn't get in earlier due to mcat score?

Depends on the school I would suppose for your first question. I'm a reapp and didn't get any interviews last year, but this year, I already have one tomorrow :eek: There are some schools which will actually look favorably upon it because it shows dedication. And y ou can bring it up in your interviews and say Look, I really want this I was willing to spend all this money and heartache and go through it again.

As for question 2, did you retake the MCAT score and improve? If you're positive that was the reason you didn't get in before, then make sure that when you take it again, you do much better. But there is usually more places to improve upon than just MCAT.

Unless you had applied to them before, I don't believe that a school would know you're a reapplicant.

That being said, from my research, the only places I've encountered that looked down on reapps were a couple of the Texas schools. Most schools look favorably on reapps, seeing it as a sign of dedication.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you had applied to them before, I don't believe that a school would know you're a reapplicant.

That being said, from my research, the only places I've encountered that looked down on reapps were a couple of the Texas schools. Most schools look favorably on reapps, seeing it as a sign of dedication.

As a reapp, as long as you dont apply to any of the same schools as the 1st time round the schools will not know if your a reapp. However, if you choose to apply to even 1 of the schools you applied to previous there will be an indication on your primary that you "previously applied" to the that school. Since its on the primary, any school will see your a reapplicant then.

Further, I agree with the posts above that it really shows more dedication that you want to get in. You do need to show you understand what the deficiency(ies) was (were) initially and describe how you have corrected them. Beyond that, I know a number of ppl that got in the 2nd time round. So its certainly not impossible.

Good Luck

I think that the major thing that schools look at in a reapplicant is "What's changed?" Be sure as a reapplicant that you can really point to what is improved and added to your application. If they "same" person is applying again, then why *would* they accept you this time around.

Applying again certainly showed that you are committed but showing improvement is a much bigger step.

from personal experience:

first time applying - 1 interview of 12 (to my state school)
2nd time - 5 of 8 (4 WL)
3rd time (so far) - 7 of 25

and in my current PS i do mention that i am a reapp since most of these schools i am applying to for the first time. i definitely believe it helps and shows dedication. i have also added many different ECs in that time. i did not retake the mcat from the first year.

from personal experience:

first time applying - 1 interview of 12 (to my state school)
2nd time - 5 of 8 (4 WL)
3rd time (so far) - 7 of 25

and in my current PS i do mention that i am a reapp since most of these schools i am applying to for the first time. i definitely believe it helps and shows dedication. i have also added many different ECs in that time. i did not retake the mcat from the first year.

did you apply to same schools and if so..did the schools that interview before inteview the next time you applied?

Round 1: 2 interviews, 1 waitlist, 0 accepts
Round 2: 5 interviews, 4 waitlists, 1 accept

Hi -

There are many factors to consider. If a school didn't accept you because of an MCAT score and you didn't take it again, let's hope that you have done something in the past year(s) to have them overlook it because they do keep the applications/decisions from previous years.