German EMS Internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ISU_Steve

Cranky old man
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my undergraduate majors is German linguistics (the other being life sciences), and part of what I have to do in order to graduate with my degree is to do a 5 week study abroad or internship in a German speaking country.

I really don't relish the idea of getting sent over there just to spend a month and a half taking classes, or being someone's gofer for a summer, so I asked a friend of mine who is a former German EMS supervisor to find out about the possibility of an internship with the DRK (the German Red Cross) or another EMS or rescue unit.

I spoke with him this morning and it seems like it should be a rather easy thing to organize. The one thing I am afraid of is that I would have to take my RS (Rettungssanitäter) exams- oh boy, if passing a credentialing exam in a language I've only been studying for 3 years doesn't prove my qualification to be a translator I don't know what will. But this is the only way I can do more than just observe during my internship- which I definitely don't want to be relegated to just being a passive observer.

I'm excited, but scared at the same time. I've been to Germany before, but not the part I am going to probably be in (my options thus far are a place named Lünen (near Dortmund in NW Germany) and Linden (near Geissen, a little further south)). I'm sorry if this is a rambling and rather pointless post, but I'm just excited and I just figured I would share it with someone. :) :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

I hope your exams went well and that you enjoyed your time in Germany. I was hoping you might be able to help me with a problem I have been having trying to find an English-German Medical Dictionary of some sorts. I would prefer to find on that is specific to EMS or comes in a portable format. I have encountered a number of patients these past few years that speak very little English and my German is only good enough to ask directions. If you are aware of where I could get ahold of something I would be very greatful, and so would my co-workers. Thanks for any assistance.