Georgetown SMP application thread for 2018-2019 class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you get accepted into GUSOM?

Nope. I'm reapplying next year, though. I wasn't even supposed to apply this year because the rest of my app wasn't up to snuff. I only did it because so many people told me to, lol.

Based on what I know, the people that get in the same year already have a solid app, including their MCAT. All they needed was a GPA boost.

Members don't see this ad.

Nope. I'm reapplying next year, though. I wasn't even supposed to apply this year because the rest of my app wasn't up to snuff. I only did it because so many people told me to, lol.

Based on what I know, the people that get in the same year already have a solid app, including their MCAT. All they needed was a GPA boost.
Damn. Are you preparing to retake your mcat?

Damn. Are you preparing to retake your mcat?

Yeah, I'll be studying for it almost as soon as I'm done with the program. It's comforting to know that a lot of SMPs that have to retake it smash it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

A 3.1/3.2 coming out of the program isn't a good look though to other medical schools. Your SMP is supposed to impress and prove that you are medical school material. This program is really risky.

Reactions: 1 user
A 3.1/3.2 coming out of the program isn't a good look though to other medical schools. Your SMP is supposed to impress and prove that you are medical school material. This program is really risky.

You have a point. Generally, you want a 3.5 to put yourself in a good place when it comes time to apply. But that 3.1/3.2 number came from the director. It seems like some schools are willing to take SMP students with that GPA.

I wouldn't say it's really risky, relative to all the other SMPs (without real linkages, like Cincinnati, BU, Loyola, etc), especially for people with GPAs on the lower end. 85% of people get into med school within two years of the program. Those are the best odds out of all of them.

But yeah, it is really risky if you're not willing to go all out. For me, I have to become a doctor. I just have to. There's no other option. I will do whatever it takes. That's why I was willing to take this $80,000 risk.

Reactions: 3 users
This program is really a last resort, like calvangri said. If you're able to attend schools with real linkages (I'm assuming Drexel and Temple are examples), those should be your top priorities. If not, and you're ready to lay it all on the line, in my opinion, this program is for you.

Last edited:
This program is really a last resort, like calvangri said. If you're able to attend schools with real linkages (I'm assuming Drexel and Temple are examples), those should be your top priorities. If not, and you're ready to lay it all on the line, in my opinion, this program is for you.

Would you mind sharing what your undergrad stats were, please? cGPA? MCAT?

I've looked into Drexel's program too, but what makes it so much better? How many matriculate into their med school?

Would you mind sharing what your undergrad stats were, please? cGPA? MCAT?

I've looked into Drexel's program too, but what makes it so much better? How many matriculate into their med school?
Drexel has a guarantee offer into their SOM if you meet certain conditions. It’s one of two of its kind, the other being Temple. Most SMPs have a guaranteed interview if you hit a certain GPA in their program but still the number that matriculate into their SOM is still low (~10-15%). Some programs have a high percentage that matriculate into their SOM if they perform at or above a set level. Tulane, for example, has admitted ~87% of their ACLP class, historically. RFU BMS has matriculated ~70% to CMS, historically. While GU SMP has had a 85% success rate for students matriculating, that number includes all schools, GUSOM, DO, and MD (not sure if Caribbean schools are included in this number either).

Drexel has a guarantee offer into their SOM if you meet certain conditions. It’s one of two of its kind, the other being Temple. Most SMPs have a guaranteed interview if you hit a certain GPA in their program but still the number that matriculate into their SOM is still low (~10-15%). Some programs have a high percentage that matriculate into their SOM if they perform at or above a set level. Tulane, for example, has admitted ~87% of their ACLP class, historically. RFU BMS has matriculated ~70% to CMS, historically. While GU SMP has had a 85% success rate for students matriculating, that number includes all schools, GUSOM, DO, and MD (not sure if Caribbean schools are included in this number either).

So out of these: RFU BMS, Drexel SMP, and GU SMP, you'd pick RFU = Drexel > GU?

I'm assuming Tulane ACLP means you can't rely on loans.. which means it isn't possible for someone who is disadvantaged.

While GU SMP has had a 85% success rate for students matriculating, that number includes all schools, GUSOM, DO, and MD (not sure if Caribbean schools are included in this number either).

This is correct. For the record, I'm not applying to DO or Caribbean schools, ever. Just had to put that out there, lol.

Which Drexel program has a guaranteed offer? I only see DPMS (and you have to be URM or socioeconomically disadvantaged)
Which Pre-med / Pre-health Program Is for Me? - College of Medicine

Members don't see this ad :)
The Georgetown SMP application states: the personal statement should reflect your personal statement for medical school.

The online application says 500 words, but the AMCAS personal statement is around 5300 characters, which is more than 500 words.

so should it be only 500 words? or at least 500 words? or can it be more? How much did other people write in their essay? 1-2 pages?

The Georgetown SMP application states: the personal statement should reflect your personal statement for medical school.

The online application says 500 words, but the AMCAS personal statement is around 5300 characters, which is more than 500 words.

so should it be only 500 words? or at least 500 words? or can it be more? How much did other people write in their essay? 1-2 pages?

I didn't write a separate personal statement for the program. I pretty much attached a copy of my AMCAS application and wrote "see AMCAS application". Their website gives you specific instructions to go about it. Go to the admissions section (I can't post links yet because I'm new.)

I didn't write a separate personal statement for the program. I pretty much attached a copy of my AMCAS application and wrote "see AMCAS application". Their website gives you specific instructions to go about it. Go to the admissions section (I can't post links yet because I'm new.)
Same.

I've applied to a few programs already, and am waiting to hear back. I am considering applying to this program (would be ready tonight), but is it too late in the application season? There deadline is in May, but with rolling admissions I'm worried it is not worth it.
Stats are 3.55gpa, 3.42sgpa, 512 mcat, lots of research and clinical experience, and strong letters

I've applied to a few programs already, and am waiting to hear back. I am considering applying to this program (would be ready tonight), but is it too late in the application season? There deadline is in May, but with rolling admissions I'm worried it is not worth it.
Stats are 3.55gpa, 3.42sgpa, 512 mcat, lots of research and clinical experience, and strong letters
What other programs did you apply to?

For those of you who attended the Georgetown SMP, how did you pay for it/living expenses? Is it possible to borrow the $70,000 for this program plus everything you need for medical school?

For those of you who attended the Georgetown SMP, how did you pay for it/living expenses? Is it possible to borrow the $70,000 for this program plus everything you need for medical school?
Yes. I was told by financial aid officers that there’s no limit on how much a graduate student can borrow. This isn’t true for undergrad though.

Just got accepted; 3.25 gpa, 513 mcat. no research, decent volunteer/healthcare experience.

Last edited:
Accepted today! Talked with the director today and she was great! Not sure I’m going to attend the program but I would have confidence in it after speaking with her. Good luck to everyone that is still waiting!

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats!! Do you mind sharing what she told you that made you confident in the program? And also why it’s not your first choice?

I was accepted yesterday! I am just curious if this program is the right option for me, after reading this post I am a bit apprehensive. I applied for the 2018 AMCAS cycle and am currently on the waitlist a GWSOM. My stats are (3.6 sGPA, 3.4 cGPA, 516 MCAT, 1000+ hours clinical volunteering, ~50 hours volunteering (food bank), 1000+ hours clinical research (I currently work at NIH) w/ no publication =/. Furthermore, I was hoping to gain some insight if applying to the GTDT campus with the online component would make it possible to succeed in the program while also keeping my job at NIH. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thank you so much.

I was accepted yesterday! I am just curious if this program is the right option for me, after reading this post I am a bit apprehensive. I applied for the 2018 AMCAS cycle and am currently on the waitlist a GWSOM. My stats are (3.6 sGPA, 3.4 cGPA, 516 MCAT, 1000+ hours clinical volunteering, ~50 hours volunteering (food bank), 1000+ hours clinical research (I currently work at NIH) w/ no publication =/. Furthermore, I was hoping to gain some insight if applying to the GTDT campus with the online component would make it possible to succeed in the program while also keeping my job at NIH. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thank you so much.

We have almost the exact same stats, I too am waitlisted at GWSOM. I think the program would be a good fit for you, especially if the schools you’re aiming for have a much higher avg. GPA. Whether or not it’s worth the cost I’m not sure. If you’re weak in research, NIH might be a better option.

If I was in your position, I would apply more broadly and to more schools. You're pretty close to borderline. Again, if you come into the program without being ready to give 110%, it could actually make your app worse.

I personally discourage people from working a job while in the program, for reasons I stated earlier in the thread.

We have almost the exact same stats, I too am waitlisted at GWSOM. I think the program would be a good fit for you, especially if the schools you’re aiming for have a much higher avg. GPA. Whether or not it’s worth the cost I’m not sure. If you’re weak in research, NIH might be a better option.
Thank you for the response. Ideally, I would like to get into UMSOM or GUSOM, both of which have higher avg. GPAs. I think my research experience is fine, I conducted research throughout the duration of my collegiate career (probably have upwards of 2000+ total hours, but I just included the NIH research in the initial post.) I think the main thing that prevented me from matriculating during this current cycle was a low cGPA coupled with a late app submission (was marked complete 9/25 at every school)

If I was in your position, I would apply more broadly and to more schools. You're pretty close to borderline. Again, if you come into the program without being ready to give 110%, it could actually make your app worse.

I personally discourage people from working a job while in the program, for reasons I stated earlier in the thread.
Thanks for the response. I read your posts towards the beginning of the thread and those posts actually gave me pause to jumping into the program without performing my due diligence beforehand, so thank you for that! I applied to 27 schools this cycle (all allopathic, though). As I mentioned earlier, my app was extremely late for AMCAS, being marked complete 9/25. I mainly wanted to attend this program precisely for the fact that it is counted as a separate GPA from undergrad cGPA. Since my sGPA is pretty competitive at most schools (3.6), my cGPA is what is holding me back at a 3.4. Since I have over 140 credits for my cGPA it is almost impossible to raise it significantly at this point. My hope was with a SMP GPA of 3.5+, a 516 MCAT, and early submission for my AMCAS - I will be able to get into a mid-tier to upper mid-tier med school.

Thank you for the response. Ideally, I would like to get into UMSOM or GUSOM, both of which have higher avg. GPAs. I think my research experience is fine, I conducted research throughout the duration of my collegiate career (probably have upwards of 2000+ total hours, but I just included the NIH research in the initial post.) I think the main thing that prevented me from matriculating during this current cycle was a low cGPA coupled with a late app submission (was marked complete 9/25 at every school)

Wow...it’s amazing how well our situations match. I also really want to go to UMSOM/GUSOM, and was complete at around 9/25. I agree that your GPA is the weakest part of your app, and if you come into the program ready to work hard, I think you’ll be fine! However, I did notice that nobody in the last few years of the program have been accepted to a top, top med school; most people in the program matriculate to low/mid tiers.

Wow...it’s amazing how well our situations match. I also really want to go to UMSOM/GUSOM, and was complete at around 9/25. I agree that your GPA is the weakest part of your app, and if you come into the program ready to work hard, I think you’ll be fine! However, I did notice that nobody in the last few years of the program have been accepted to a top, top med school; most people in the program matriculate to low/mid tiers.
That is amazing, maybe we both get off the waitlist at GWSOM and put our collective worries to rest :xf: Do you have information about where previous ex-SMP's have matriculated? Also, do you consider UMSOM a top med school, or would that fall into your mid tier classification?

Can you share where you found the information about where Georgetown alumni matriculate ?

That is amazing, maybe we both get off the waitlist at GWSOM and put our collective worries to rest :xf: Do you have information about where previous ex-SMP's have matriculated? Also, do you consider UMSOM a top med school, or would that fall into your mid tier classification?

They have a page on their website about where people have matriculated. Link Below.
SMP Alumni

By UMSOM I was referring to University of Michigan SOM, which I do consider a top school! UMD or UMass I would consider mid-teir.

Thanks for the response. I read your posts towards the beginning of the thread and those posts actually gave me pause to jumping into the program without performing my due diligence beforehand, so thank you for that! I applied to 27 schools this cycle (all allopathic, though). As I mentioned earlier, my app was extremely late for AMCAS, being marked complete 9/25. I mainly wanted to attend this program precisely for the fact that it is counted as a separate GPA from undergrad cGPA. Since my sGPA is pretty competitive at most schools (3.6), my cGPA is what is holding me back at a 3.4. Since I have over 140 credits for my cGPA it is almost impossible to raise it significantly at this point. My hope was with a SMP GPA of 3.5+, a 516 MCAT, and early submission for my AMCAS - I will be able to get into a mid-tier to upper mid-tier med school.

Oh, I somehow read your cGPA as being 3.6 and your sGPA as being 3.4. Never mind. Georgetown is good for what you're looking for; the "repairing" the cGPA and increasing your chances at a mid to upper mid-tier school, given your situation.

Last edited:
for those who have heard back, how long did it take for you to receive a decision after you received the email about your complete application?

for those who have heard back, how long did it take for you to receive a decision after you received the email about your complete application?
I was marked complete 3/28 and I was accepted 4/2

Oh, I somehow read your cGPA as being 3.6 and your sGPA as being 3.4. Never mind. Georgetown is good for what you're looking for; the "repairing" the cGPA and increasing your chances at a mid to upper tier school, given your situation.
Okay, thank you.

Why on Earth would people be working while doing a smp? The smoke should be the primary focus.

Why on Earth would people be working while doing a smp? The smoke should be the primary focus.

I understand people's predilection to want a job, especially since people work in college and during traditional masters. The debt is a lot too. I get it. What people don't understand (yet) is how tough it is; there really is no real room to hold down a job if you're trying to do your best, in my opinion.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted! Will be withdrawing because got into med school this cycle.

I would be working to save money in order to pay for medical school.

What kind of job are you looking to work? And how many hours do you want to work each week? Let’s break it down from there.

Accepted!! Would any current students elaborate on the experiences at downtown vs. Medical campus? Please and thank you :).

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using SDN mobile

Accepted!! Would any current students elaborate on the experiences at downtown vs. Medical campus? Please and thank you :).

I really don't know much about downtown, but I know they have a flipped curriculum. You should ask the administration (physio email) for details.

The main campus has optional attendance and recorded lectures. That's how it should be done imo. I make my own schedule and I study when I want, where I want.