Georgetown SMP Application Thread 2019- 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted today! Does anyone have any experience or know someone who commuted to school? I live in Northern VA with my parents right now and would like to be able to stay at home to avoid paying rent in DC. I'd rather pay for monthly parking in Georgetown instead. Would this be a good idea?
I know a few people who lived in the Northern VA area and commuted. The traffic can be pretty crazy so most of them just watched the lecture capture (recorded videos of the lecture that are uploaded the same day or a few days later) and came to campus for quizzes or mandatory sessions.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted today! Does anyone have any experience or know someone who commuted to school? I live in Northern VA with my parents right now and would like to be able to stay at home to avoid paying rent in DC. I'd rather pay for monthly parking in Georgetown instead. Would this be a good idea?

This is the info they have online about commuting parking passes in case you haven't seen it:

A limited number of spaces are available for commuter students at a satellite lot in Rosslyn, VA. Assignment will be decided by lottery at the beginning of the fall semester. Students residing in the District of Columbia or in Virginia in zip codes 22201, 22203 (east of Glebe Road), 22207 (east of Glebe Road-Lorcum Lane-Military Road boundary), 22209, 22210, and 22216 are not eligible for a parking permit. Applications for the lottery may be obtained from the Office of Transportation Management (OTM. Please contact OTM by email at [email protected] or by phone at (202) 687-4372 for current rates.

Finishing the program this June. Congrats to those who have been accepted! I know many of you will be looking for housing soon. Personally, I spent the year living in an apartment in downtown DC, and found it very convenient. It was in a very nice area of downtown and was a close walk from the downtown campus (I was part of GTDT). Feel free to PM if you want housing suggestions!

Members don't see this ad :)

many people who live in the neighborhood around the campus will rent out their parking spots via craigslist if they don’t have cars. The people I know who did that charged around $150-200 per month

Hello Everyone, my application got completed about a week ago, and I'm waiting to hear back from them. Did anyone submit their application without MCAT scores but with practice scores?

Does anyone know when the choose your campus form will become available ?

Finishing the program this June. Congrats to those who have been accepted! I know many of you will be looking for housing soon. Personally, I spent the year living in an apartment in downtown DC, and found it very convenient. It was in a very nice area of downtown and was a close walk from the downtown campus (I was part of GTDT). Feel free to PM if you want housing suggestions!

Could you tell us about your choice to join GTDT instead of GUMC? What are the advantages/disadvantages? Do you think you made the right choice?

Could you give us your thoughts on the program? Was it helpful in getting yourself into a medical school / is the cost of this program worth it? How difficult is it to maintain high grades? Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

The SMP is a very challenging program that has its pros and cons. I chose to enroll in this program because I did not want to apply the year after the program and wanted to start medical school right after. This was one of the few programs, if not the only, that encourages students to apply the same year. Since you are taking classes with M1s at GUSOM, you really learn how to make a study routine that works for you. I personally will be attending medical school this fall, and feel much more prepared as I have taken many of the M1 courses and know what to expect. Speaking to the cost of the program, I think it is quite high compared to what we were offered in my opinion. GUSOM lectures are recorded, so you can watch them from home. As part of GTDT, that is what you are expected to do, besides a few mandatory lectures at main campus. During the week, we had class at the downtown campus to have a “review” with the downtown instructor. However, there were many days we would not have a review, and were expected to learn everything through the online lecture and notes.

Personally, I was accepted to medical school before my first block grades were even out, so I cant say how much the program benefitted my application compared to how much work I put in lol. Again, you have a chance at getting into medical school the same year, not guaranteed. If you don’t perform well, you risk your entire academic record and future applications. Does all of this seem worth paying 56k? Are other programs offering the same things you are looking for at a cheaper cost? These are the question you want to ask yourself. Also, the advisors just tell you to “do well” in order to increase your chances for GUSOM (There is no linkage). I Had heard the GPA cutoff in the program is 3.5 for a GUSOM interview. However, I had a 3.7 GPA after Block 3 (when GUSOM invites go out) and didn’t even get an interview. My MCAT was quite strong also. Does this happen to everyone? Probably not. But I want people to consider this aspect, as many programs offer linkages.

The courses are difficult, and being in the program is a full-time job. You will probably need to study 6-12 hours daily in order to retain the material and do well, but it is possible. Like I mentioned, 90% of this is self study through watching the lecture and reviewing notes over and over. The hardest part is probably adjusting to the pace at the beginning of the program, but once you develop good habits (and I hope you do) you should be fine. You will likely get at least some interviews during the program if you are applying, so that will have to fit in your schedule.

Reactions: 4 users
Could you tell us about your choice to join GTDT instead of GUMC? What are the advantages/disadvantages? Do you think you made the right choice?

I chose GTDT because I wanted to be in a smaller classroom environment. There are 25 people in GTDT vs. ~160 on main campus, so its much easier to make connections with people and get help when you need it. I think I made the right choice, but just be prepared to self-study a lot because all lectures are watched online.

The SMP is a very challenging program that has its pros and cons. I chose to enroll in this program because I did not want to apply the year after the program and wanted to start medical school right after. This was one of the few programs, if not the only, that encourages students to apply the same year. Since you are taking classes with M1s at GUSOM, you really learn how to make a study routine that works for you. I personally will be attending medical school this fall, and feel much more prepared as I have taken many of the M1 courses and know what to expect. Speaking to the cost of the program, I think it is quite high compared to what we were offered in my opinion. GUSOM lectures are recorded, so you can watch them from home. As part of GTDT, that is what you are expected to do, besides a few mandatory lectures at main campus. During the week, we had class at the downtown campus to have a “review” with the downtown instructor. However, there were many days we would not have a review, and were expected to learn everything through the online lecture and notes.

Personally, I was accepted to medical school before my first block grades were even out, so I cant say how much the program benefitted my application compared to how much work I put in lol. Again, you have a chance at getting into medical school the same year, not guaranteed. If you don’t perform well, you risk your entire academic record and future applications. Does all of this seem worth paying 56k? Are other programs offering the same things you are looking for at a cheaper cost? These are the question you want to ask yourself. Also, the advisors just tell you to “do well” in order to increase your chances for GUSOM (There is no linkage). I Had heard the GPA cutoff in the program is 3.5 for a GUSOM interview. However, I had a 3.7 GPA after Block 3 (when GUSOM invites go out) and didn’t even get an interview. My MCAT was quite strong also. Does this happen to everyone? Probably not. But I want people to consider this aspect, as many programs offer linkages.

The courses are difficult, and being in the program is a full-time job. You will probably need to study 6-12 hours daily in order to retain the material and do well, but it is possible. Like I mentioned, 90% of this is self study through watching the lecture and reviewing notes over and over. The hardest part is probably adjusting to the pace at the beginning of the program, but once you develop good habits (and I hope you do) you should be fine. You will likely get at least some interviews during the program if you are applying, so that will have to fit in your schedule.

Would you mind sharing or PMing your stats? Congrats on getting an acceptance so fast!

Thank you for the information and congrats on getting into medical school. It is a bit scary to hear that you did not even get an interview with a 3.7. Were you accepted into any schools because of your SMP performance or did your acceptance(s) all come before any grade updates were sent?

I have a couple of additional questions for you, if you wouldn't mind answering them.
1. For GTDT, how many review days are there supposed to be in a week (is there class everyday and for how long)? Are the classroom sessions actually helpful? I personally prefer self-studying and would probably not enjoy attending mandatory class, unless they were helpful in understanding the material.
2. Are the various activities you do in GTDT helpful to your medical application? Or are they more for personal education/self-improvement? It does not seem like the activities are longitudinal, so I am not sure how you would even put them down in an update letter or your application if you were to apply after the SMP.
3. Related to the above question - Do the various activities that you get to do as part of GTDT help you get into GUSOM in any way? Or is it really about having the highest possible GPA that matters the most in getting accepted into GUSOM?

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys! I recently started an application and all my materials have been received. Will they send an email once my application is under review? I’m not sure if there’s anything else that needs to be done on my end.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys! I recently started an application and all my materials have been received. Will they send an email once my application is under review? I’m not sure if there’s anything else that needs to be done on my end.

Thank you!

They'll send an email once your application is complete! After that it usually takes about 2 weeks to hear back. If your checklist is completed in the application portal then nothing else has to be done on your end.

Thank you for the information and congrats on getting into medical school. It is a bit scary to hear that you did not even get an interview with a 3.7. Were you accepted into any schools because of your SMP performance or did your acceptance(s) all come before any grade updates were sent?

I have a couple of additional questions for you, if you wouldn't mind answering them.
1. For GTDT, how many review days are there supposed to be in a week (is there class everyday and for how long)? Are the classroom sessions actually helpful? I personally prefer self-studying and would probably not enjoy attending mandatory class, unless they were helpful in understanding the material.
2. Are the various activities you do in GTDT helpful to your medical application? Or are they more for personal education/self-improvement? It does not seem like the activities are longitudinal, so I am not sure how you would even put them down in an update letter or your application if you were to apply after the SMP.
3. Related to the above question - Do the various activities that you get to do as part of GTDT help you get into GUSOM in any way? Or is it really about having the highest possible GPA that matters the most in getting accepted into GUSOM?

So I got 3 interviews in total. I was accepted to 2 schools, and I am currently on the waitlist for the third. The first school I was accepted at is the one I am probably going to. The other two interviews were in December/January.

1. Some weeks, we would have class 4 days a week, leaving Friday for volunteering (sometimes volunteering can be on the weekend). However, there were several weeks we would have class only 2 days a week. When I say “class”, I only mean for usually 1-2 hours a day (not like undergrad where it was the entire day, at least for me). Some weeks felt quite cramped however, as we would review for 2 hours a day, then have to watch 2-3 lectures that night. The reviews are usually not mandatory (sometimes, we would have a professor from main campus show up, and these would be mandatory/really important).

2. You can update medical schools throughout the cycle regarding your activities and grades. Keep in mind that activities didn’t start till like November. I would guess they are helpful to your application. If you apply after the SMP, you put all the activities down as one activity or course, and then list the individual categories separately (like shadowing, volunteering, etc.)

3. Sooooo, I cannot really answer this question too well. I did all the activities that were assigned to me by the SMP, and updated GUSOM with all of them (around 15-20 in total by March). I would guess they at least looked at it. I also had shadowing, research, and volunteering beforehand, so the SMP stuff was not all I had on my application. The program director will always tell you that 3.5 is competitive to at least get an interview. She also says GUSOM “cherrypicks”. Unfortunately, I was not “cherrypicked”. But GUSOM also looks for at least a decent MCAT (like >510) and some volunteering beforehand, so you probably cant just get 3.9 SMP GPA with a 504/no activities and expect an interview.

Here are my stats before the SMP by the way: cGPA 3.5, MCAT 517

Some more advice in case it is not clear: if you do not care about applying the year after the program year, there are several other programs that will get you into medical school, either via a direct linkage/guaranteed interview or having that program on your application. You should consider these options if this applies to your situation (already have a high MCAT, variety of activities on application).

What do you all think about taking the MCAT after the program? I was speaking with a GTown SMP alum who said that while the program ends in early June (I believe this year he said it ends June 8th), he as well as the other students didn't have any problems taking the MCAT that following July and applying on time.

I'm just a little torn because while I'm scheduled to take the MCAT this July 28th I'm taking an extra year post-SMP to apply) as I've heard the horror stories of studying for the MCAT while in the SMP, several SMP alumni and program directors have also recommended that I take it after the SMP is finished as it prepares me well for the MCAT, despite giving up the opportunity to apply to medical schools as soon as the SMP grades come out.

This dilemma is also compounded by the fact that I'm not even sure if MCAT July test dates will still be held due to COVID, forcing me to take MCAT afterwards regardless. I was just wondering what you all were thinking about the timing of taking the MCAT in relation to the SMP program?

What do you all think about taking the MCAT after the program? I was speaking with a GTown SMP alum who said that while the program ends in early June (I believe this year he said it ends June 8th), he as well as the other students didn't have any problems taking the MCAT that following July and applying on time.

I'm just a little torn because while I'm scheduled to take the MCAT this July 28th I'm taking an extra year post-SMP to apply) as I've heard the horror stories of studying for the MCAT while in the SMP, several SMP alumni and program directors have also recommended that I take it after the SMP is finished as it prepares me well for the MCAT, despite giving up the opportunity to apply to medical schools as soon as the SMP grades come out.

This dilemma is also compounded by the fact that I'm not even sure if MCAT July test dates will still be held due to COVID, forcing me to take MCAT afterwards regardless. I was just wondering what you all were thinking about the timing of taking the MCAT in relation to the SMP program?

It is nearly impossible to study for the MCAT during the SMP year. However, the material could really help you develop great study habits and o better on the MCAT. If you are taking the MCAT this July, doesn’t that you would be done with the MCAT before the joining the program in August? If you feel confident in your knowledge of the material and have consistently scored around your target on practice exams, you might as well get over with it and take it this July. I hope I am not misunderstanding your question

It is nearly impossible to study for the MCAT during the SMP year. However, the material could really help you develop great study habits and o better on the MCAT. If you are taking the MCAT this July, doesn’t that you would be done with the MCAT before the joining the program in August? If you feel confident in your knowledge of the material and have consistently scored around your target on practice exams, you might as well get over with it and take it this July. I hope I am not misunderstanding your question

Nah I got what you mean, and I agree it would be better for me to just get it over with the July before SMP program starts. I was just wondering why so many SMP alum and program directors would recommend taking it afterwards even if doing so means submitting the medical school applications late. But like you said, the strengthened content foundations and study ethic is probably why.

Maybe I'm just looking for an excuse not to hunker down for the summer and grind away just for me to hold off till next spring to take the MCAT due to corona cancellations haha. Either way with Anki and general content review it can't hurt, and I guess I'll hold off on exhausting FLs and other AAMC materials till it gets closer to testing date and I'm more confident it won't get cancelled.

Hey, I am also applying to this SMP program. I submitted my application April 30th and received an email saying my application is complete and under review on May 3rd (yesterday). Was wondering if anyone was accepted with a low GPA. I am on the lower end of the spectrum :/

Accepted this morning (5/4)! Quick turnaround, as my application was completed on 4/28. Now I have a tough decision to make between Georgetown and EVMS MBS :unsure:

Accepted this morning (5/4)! Quick turnaround, as my application was completed on 4/28. Now I have a tough decision to make between Georgetown and EVMS MBS :unsure:
Congrats!!!! :) Do you mind sharing your stats when you applied?

I got into both and ultimately chose Georgetown. PM me if you would like to know my thought process!

Just applied! What are the odds that the SMP will accept an applicant this late?

Hello all, I got accepted end of last week. Do any of you know how long it takes to receive the official acceptance via the application portal?

Just applied! What are the odds that the SMP will accept an applicant this late?

The deadline has been extended to July so it’s not late at all! If your application is solid and meets all the criteria then you have a good shot.

I just got an update, I got waitlisted. I'm currently in my senior year, so maybe they want to see how this last semester plays out for me :/

Accepted today - for anyone who’s began to looking for housing etc and has suggestions, please let me know!

I received the under review email on 4/28 and got waitlisted today. 3.0 cGPA and 3.4 sGPA for anyone trying to gauge their chances. No mcat yet

I have apps in at a few other SMPs so hopefully I’ll find a home somewhere!

Hello! Does anyone have any insight on if it is okay to apply to medical schools following the end of the SMP? Are there any cons to this? I know it is encouraged to apply before but I just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts!

Accepted today - for anyone who’s began to looking for housing etc and has suggestions, please let me know!
I went to georgetown last year, and I lived in rosslyn VA. The university bus has a stop there. I absolutely loved living there because it was walking distance to everything!

I just got accepted today! Have you guys made your campus decisions yet? What influenced your decision?

The GTDT campus is already full and there is a waitlist for it. I wanted GUMC anyway for a multitude of reasons. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk!

Hello! Does anyone have any insight on if it is okay to apply to medical schools following the end of the SMP? Are there any cons to this? I know it is encouraged to apply before but I just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts!
Currently wrapping up the program at GTDT. A lot of people choose to hold off on applying the year of the SMP and prepare to apply the next year. Throughout the year and especially at the end of the program they have a ton of advising sessions to help you out, including strategy sessions to help set up your application year after the program. It's totally up to you whether you want to or not and tons of people get in after the program too!

Does any one know if next semester is going to be online or in person?

Hi all, got waitlisted on May 1. Just curious, does anyone know of anyone who has gotten accepted to Stanford Med from this program? Specifically Stanford’s MST program? Thanks.

Hi all, got waitlisted on May 1. Just curious, does anyone know of anyone who has gotten accepted to Stanford Med from this program? Specifically Stanford’s MST program? Thanks.

Well looking at MSAR, Stanford Med’s median gpa is 3.89 and median MCAT is 519. I’m sure it’s higher for the MD/PhD program. If your stats are competitive for that, then there’s a chance. But if they were, you wouldn’t be applying to an SMP. Not saying it’s impossible, but the odds are probably close to 0, even if you were to get a 4.0 SMP gpa.

Hi ya'll I just got accepted today. I now need to find a roommate/ housing if anyone wants to be potential roommates Pm me !!

Hey everyone! I heard the application deadline got extended for this program so I might be applying for it. Would it be worth it to do the program with a cGPA 3.6, sGPA 3.4, MCAT 496? I have a pretty solid volunteering, shadowing, and research experience. Any thoughts?

I’ll be withdrawing my acceptance this week. I hope it goes to one you

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I’ll be withdrawing my acceptance this week. I hope it goes to one you

Hey, if you don't mind me asking, was there any particular reason to why you are withdrawing (is it due to the program)?

Hey, if you don't mind me asking, was there any particular reason to why you are withdrawing (is it due to the program)?

No, i was actually looking forward to the program and was excited about it. I recently got taken off a DO and MD waitlist this cycle. I wasn’t expecting to get in anywhere cause I’m low stats so I applied to the SMP.

No, i was actually looking forward to the program and was excited about it. I recently got taken off a DO and MD waitlist this cycle. I wasn’t expecting to get in anywhere cause I’m low stats so I applied to the SMP.

That is amazing to hear!!!! CONGRATS future doc!

Hi all. I am new to this thread but applied last week and got WL email.

Does anyone have any insight on movement from WL to A? Thanks in advance for the help!

I am going to be applying for fall 2021 admission, but I couldn't find a forum for those applying for fall 2021 admission, so I'd thought I'd ask around here. My cGPA is a 3.35, and my sGPA is a 3.6. I'm going to be taking the MCAT this year, but I have taken Kaplan practice tests and other AAMC practice tests, and have scored in the 515-517 range every time. I was a college transfer student, I transferred colleges after sophomore year. My gpa at my first college was a 2.56, and my gpa at my second college was a 3.86. My second college I had so many more credit hours, so my gpa is definitely skewed toward the second college's gpa. I'm just worried about how they look at transfer students and that my 2.56 will stick out like a sore thumb. Additionally at first at my second college I wanted to be a teacher, so I took some education classes that really boosted my gpa but they were super easy and I'm worried the admissions committee may not look as highly upon those courses? I finished college as a science major. Am I competitive to get into the Georgetown SMP?