Georgetown SMP Application Thread 2019- 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Southlander

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I was surprised a thread didn't exist already for the upcoming application "cycle" for the Georgetown SMP program. I got an email today stating that my application was under review. Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else with lower than average GPAs considering applying to this program? GPA is currently around a 2.8, haven't taken the MCAT yet (taking it in January). The rest of my application is decent and my personal statement fully details the lower than average GPA. I figured I would apply and take my chances, the worst that can happen is being told no.

Reactions: 2 users
The application is open. Would it be too late to apply in December? The reason I am asking is that I am still waiting for decisions from medical schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else with lower than average GPAs considering applying to this program? GPA is currently around a 2.8, haven't taken the MCAT yet (taking it in January). The rest of my application is decent and my personal statement fully details the lower than average GPA. I figured I would apply and take my chances, the worst that can happen is being told no.
My GPA was lower and I’m in the program currently. If you don’t apply, you are rejecting yourself.

Reactions: 3 users
The application is open. Would it be too late to apply in December? The reason I am asking is that I am still waiting for decisions from medical schools.
Most of my cohort in the class applied early-mid Spring. It’s early to apply in Dec if you asked me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not plan to submit my application until late December/early January. Of course I have already started working on it though. I'm taking the MCAT in January so I have to wait for those scores to come back before they could even begin to review my application anyway.

Hi everyone! I was surprised a thread didn't exist already for the upcoming application "cycle" for the Georgetown SMP program. I got an email today stating that my application was under review. Good luck to everyone!
Have u heard anything back??

Yeah, wait listed. Waiting for an updated MCAT score which will be a while. But in the mean time they've given me some tips about where to spend my time and what to do.
Have u heard anything back??

Yeah, wait listed. Waiting for an updated MCAT score which will be a while. But in the mean time they've given me some tips about where to spend my time and what to do.
Would you mind chatting privately about your stats?

What were their tips if u don’t mind me asking. My stats are very similar to yours, but I think I’m going to apply still

Members don't see this ad :)
Most of my cohort in the class applied early-mid Spring. It’s early to apply in Dec if you asked me.
How have the classes been? I understand it's challenging but with a GPA on the lower end, was it harder than the rest of your cohort?

How have the classes been? I understand it's challenging but with a GPA on the lower end, was it harder than the rest of your cohort?
The classes are hard. It will likely be the most difficult thing you have experienced in school in terms of volume and concepts. We are taking 70% of the first year medical school curriculum. If you are asking me, if because I had a way below average GPA, if the classes seemed more difficult to me, I'd say no. You have to understand that most people who are in this program are here because they had different priorities during undergrad and as a result, their GPAs suffered. I hope this answers your questions.

Hey thanks for everyone's contributions so far - very helpful. I have a question about my own potential app: 3.01 uGPA and a 2.83 sGPA showing improvement postbacc. Have yet to take MCAT, but is 3.0 minimum for uGPA, sGPA or both? Has anyone had success with a <3.0 sGPA?

Accepted today :D Look forward to class with you all!

Any idea about the acceptance rate or number of applicants to the SMP?

@williamaz I think last year there were around around 800 applications and our class has ~180 students, but I don't know what their retention rate is

Also how long between submitting and hearing back
After you submit they say it should take between 2 to 6 weeks to hear back. It took me exactly 6 weeks. But I know of people in my class that heard back in 2 days. I actually emailed them at 6 weeks because I hadn’t heard anything and it was because Dr. Mulroney wanted to chat with me about my application before making a decision.

EDIT: So I just looked back at my old emails and it said 2-3 weeks. Not sure where I got 6 weeks from but I still waited 6 weeks before contacting them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Accepted yesterday! Cheers. If this cycle doesn't pan out, I'll see you there ::)

Current SMP student! I was waitlisted, then accepted. Happy to answer any questions anyone has. Good luck!

Current SMP student! I was waitlisted, then accepted. Happy to answer any questions anyone has. Good luck!
Hi there! Thank you for taking questions. How many hours a day do you study on average? Do you have weekly tests?

Hi there! Thank you for taking questions. How many hours a day do you study on average? Do you have weekly tests?

No problem!

Everyone is different in terms of study time. When I first came here, I was expecting to treat it like a job and spend 8-9 hours a day either in class or studying...

To be honest, for me, it's more than that. Depending on the block, the number of hours I study during the week changes. Typically, I try to be at the library early...7:30 or so (classes never start until 9). So I'll study for 1.5 hours, go to class from 9-12, and then if we don't have afternoon classes, I stay in the lib until 4. Head home take a 2 hour break, then study until 10-11.

On days where we only have one class (like right now, we are in intersession two so our class load is light), it's a little different. More lib time during the day.

But to answer your question, I'd say on average during the week anywhere from 5-7 hours. On the weekends it's probably more like 7-9.

During exams, this number increases, but thats about right for me! Hope this is helpful.

About tests, no we do not have weekly tests. We are on the block schedule so for block one, we had 7 weeks of class and 3 exams during the 8th week. For block two, we had 4 weeks of class and 1 exam during the 5th week...another exam to come in two weeks to finish out block two.

Reactions: 2 users
Did you do main or DT campus? When did you get offered the choice, and why did you choose it?

should I apply before sending in my score, and just let them know? I'm worried waiting until March/April will be too late

Their website says "When your file is complete and going to the reviewers, and you have a future MCAT score coming, we will review your file, and will hold making a final decision until the new MCAT comes", so I'm assuming it would be alright to submit without it and then just send the score report afterward. But contact the program to confirm. Good luck!

Did you do main or DT campus? When did you get offered the choice, and why did you choose it?

I chose GUMC and I'm happy with that choice. I like the set up of the curriculum. The DT students have to watch lecture capture and although I do utilize lecture capture sometimes, it's definitely not my preferred method of learning. As far as peer teaching, sometimes I like it and sometimes I don't and I believe they do a bit more of that at the DT campus. Additionally, I like having easy access to DML (the library) and being around the med students 24/7 is also motivating. I prefer the Georgetown area to the location of the DT campus as well.

I just looked at my email to see when we were offered a choice and last year, Amy posted the link to submit your choices on May 4th. Everyone who wants GUMC gets it. If you are leaning toward DT, you have to submit quickly.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

I chose GUMC and I'm happy with that choice. I like the set up of the curriculum. The DT students have to watch lecture capture and although I do utilize lecture capture sometimes, it's definitely not my preferred method of learning. As far as peer teaching, sometimes I like it and sometimes I don't and I believe they do a bit more of that at the DT campus. Additionally, I like having easy access to DML (the library) and being around the med students 24/7 is also motivating. I prefer the Georgetown area to the location of the DT campus as well.

I just looked at my email to see when we were offered a choice and last year, Amy posted the link to submit your choices on May 4th. Everyone who wants GUMC gets it. If you are leaning toward DT, you have to submit quickly.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Hello! Thanks for answering questions. I just got an acceptance last week and wanted to get some more info about the program (finally made an SDN account after lurking for so long). Are you currently applying this cycle for medical schools? What is their advising like in terms of applying before entering the program? It seems that they really encourage students to apply before arriving at GU, but I've also heard that they push students to apply to DO and Caribbean schools as well. Thanks for your time! :)

Hello! Thanks for answering questions. I just got an acceptance last week and wanted to get some more info about the program (finally made an SDN account after lurking for so long). Are you currently applying this cycle for medical schools? What is their advising like in terms of applying before entering the program? It seems that they really encourage students to apply before arriving at GU, but I've also heard that they push students to apply to DO and Caribbean schools as well. Thanks for your time! :)

Hi! No problem.

Congratulations on your acceptance!

I am currently applying to med schools this cycle (most of us are). Their advising is pretty darn good, especially once you get here. I will say prior to the start of school, getting advice can be a little challenging but they really always do their best.

Once you get here, you will be assigned a team leader. That team leader is one of the directors of the program (all of whom have a lotttttt of experience getting people into medical school). That person will be your go to. My team leader has always been very helpful both in person and via email. Additionally, I don't think I've ever had to wait longer than a day for an email reply. They really are about as good as I could ask for in terms of advising.

They do really encourage students to apply b/c if you have a good MCAT, many schools are receptive to students from this program. You will get 3 grades at the beginning of October and those can be sent to schools which will often lead to interviews if you have a decent MCAT score.

Lastly, I would not say they encourage students to apply DO or Caribbean. I have never had anyone on staff here mention that to me. They just want you to do what's right for you.

Accepted today! Still waiting to find out if I will be able to attend, as I am active duty Army and there are some conditions to allow me to temporarily discharge and attend school... fingers crossed! Hope I see you all there :)

Accepted today! Still waiting to find out if I will be able to attend, as I am active duty Army and there are some conditions to allow me to temporarily discharge and attend school... fingers crossed! Hope I see you all there :)
Congratulations!! When did you submit your application?

I just got accepted and this program is definitely one of my top choices, so thanks so much for your answers!

I was wondering, are there any opportunities for students to be involved in research during the SMP? or even the year following the SMP, assuming you've had an unsuccessful cycle (hopefully not)? Are there any resources available to the students that would facilitate that kind of research participation? Thanks!

Congratulations!! When did you submit your application?

I submitted November 1st, but it took me a while to get my last transcript in. I was marked complete on ~ 28th of November

I just got accepted and this program is definitely one of my top choices, so thanks so much for your answers!

I was wondering, are there any opportunities for students to be involved in research during the SMP? or even the year following the SMP, assuming you've had an unsuccessful cycle (hopefully not)? Are there any resources available to the students that would facilitate that kind of research participation? Thanks!

Congrats!

So to be totally honest, there are no research opportunities for SMP students during the SMP year and quite honestly, that's for the best. This program is incredibly rigorous, probably one of the most rigorous programs in the country. Realistically, there is no time for research. I feel confidant that most of my classmates would feel the same.

In terms of the year after the SMP (assuming you aren't accepted), I'm not really sure how much support there is from GUSOM in terms of students getting research positions. I would think it's all about how you network during your SMP year and how persistent you are with contacting professors, but I'm really not sure. Overall, I believe DC does have a fair number of research facilities you could get on board with after the SMP, but I'm not sure about GUSOM.

Sorry that's not a super helpful answer. We don't discuss research much because grades in this program and current applications are really all we are focused on right now.

If you want, you could try to reach out to Dr. Mulroney or Amy to see if they have any additional info to share!

Congrats!

So to be totally honest, there are no research opportunities for SMP students during the SMP year and quite honestly, that's for the best. This program is incredibly rigorous, probably one of the most rigorous programs in the country. Realistically, there is no time for research. I feel confidant that most of my classmates would feel the same.

In terms of the year after the SMP (assuming you aren't accepted), I'm not really sure how much support there is from GUSOM in terms of students getting research positions. I would think it's all about how you network during your SMP year and how persistent you are with contacting professors, but I'm really not sure. Overall, I believe DC does have a fair number of research facilities you could get on board with after the SMP, but I'm not sure about GUSOM.

Sorry that's not a super helpful answer. We don't discuss research much because grades in this program and current applications are really all we are focused on right now.

If you want, you could try to reach out to Dr. Mulroney or Amy to see if they have any additional info to share!

Thank you so much for your answer! I'll definitely reach out to them and see if they can provide some more insight

I recently got an email a week after submitting saying congratulations and that the SMP committee has recommended acceptance and that they will send me an official acceptance once the grad committee verifies my credentials. Is this a normal email? Does this mean I got in or should I hold off on being excited?

I recently got an email a week after submitting saying congratulations and that the SMP committee has recommended acceptance and that they will send me an official acceptance once the grad committee verifies my credentials. Is this a normal email? Does this mean I got in or should I hold off on being excited?

I received the same email and about 2 weeks later received the official acceptance decision from Georgetown! I'm not sure if anyone has experienced a rejection after that first email but I think this means you should go ahead and be excited now :) congrats!

I received the same email and about 2 weeks later received the official acceptance decision from Georgetown! I'm not sure if anyone has experienced a rejection after that first email but I think this means you should go ahead and be excited now :) congrats!

Ahh fingers crossed everything works out!! Congrats to you!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just applied! Accepted to BU and Tufts master programs but Georgetown is my top choice (as of now)... anybody have any input on which program they would choose and why?
Thank you so much! :)

Just applied! Accepted to BU and Tufts master programs but Georgetown is my top choice (as of now)... anybody have any input on which program they would choose and why?
Thank you so much! :)

Hello and congratulations! I'll take a stab at this...

So I was also accepted to BU and to be honest, choosing Georgetown was an easy choice. I'm not sure how familiar you are with the GU curriculum, but here, we will have a total of 9 "med grades" by the end of the program. That means that we take 9 courses at the same time, in the same classroom as the medical students.

Our tests are the same (with some exceptions because the medical students do learn some additional things that we don't like clinical skills and extensive path and pharm). But when I say our tests are the same...they're literally the same for the material that we learned in the classes we take together. This is impressive to medical schools and I don't believe BU offers this, but double check me on that.

Additionally, GU is a one year program and BU is a two year program (they might have an option for one year but I don't think many people choose it). Turns out cheaper in the end.

Lastly, the matriculation rate for GU is 50% the first year and 85% by the year after graduation. I will let those percentages speak for themselves.

If you have any other questions please reach out and I hope this helps a little!

Thank you so very much for your response!! I will definitely reach out to you! Thank you again :)

Submitted 1/22, Accepted 1/29. Can anyone provide any information on where most people live during the year? I would prefer to be close to the school but am struggling to find housing options.

Submitted 1/22, Accepted 1/29. Can anyone provide any information on where most people live during the year? I would prefer to be close to the school but am struggling to find housing options.
People generally live in the residential areas just north of the hospital (Glover Park and Burleith areas), to the east of Georgetown in Foggy Bottom (which is about 2 miles from the main campus), across the river in Rosslyn (part of Arlington, VA), and to the west of Georgetown in the Fox Hall neighborhood.