Generation Kill: "Doc" Bryan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ManimalJax

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Has anyone been watching the currently-running HBO series "Generation Kill?" If so, do you know if "Doc" Bryan's character is an actual MD? It would be cool to know that an MD rolls with the Marine unit depicted in the series.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

Has anyone been watching the currently-running HBO series "Generation Kill?" If so, do you know if "Doc" Bryan's character is an actual MD? It would be cool to know that an MD rolls with the Marine unit depicted in the series.

The character portrayed is a Navy corpsman. "Doc" is a common term of respect and appreciation given to corpsmen by the Marines.

The character portrayed is a Navy corpsman. "Doc" is a common term of respect and appreciation given to corpsmen by the Marines.

correct. the character is indeed a navy corpsman (medic).

the only time a physician has been presented in the series was when Trombley shot the little kid and then called the Battalion Surgeon to see if the child could get transfered to a military hospital. Suffice it to say, ive been watching.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the clarifications.

Wow...I didn't actually think that I would get a response because I didn't think that anyone here watches the series. What do you think of it so far?

Wow...I didn't actually think that I would get a response because I didn't think that anyone here watches the series. What do you think of it so far?
The series is good but the book is way better. One Bullet Away (the book written by Lt. Fick) was also better. Still, great series. I'm also impressed at how well they're moving the plot along without music or lots of exposition.

I do wish they didn't have Fick portrayed by a little guy, though. In real life he's 6'5". At least they got the right guy to play Rudy Reyes.

I'll definitely check out the book.

I don't know if you know this Perrotfish, but the actual Rudy Reyes plays himself in the series. Not sure if that's what you meant when you said the right guy plays Rudy Reyes.

Just adding my support here.

Loving the series and looking for the book now.

Admitted that I get frustrated by Godfather and Capt. America. But loving the series overall.

I don't know if you know this Perrotfish, but the actual Rudy Reyes plays himself in the series. Not sure if that's what you meant when you said the right guy plays Rudy Reyes.

lol i think he knows.

Just adding my support here.

Loving the series and looking for the book now.

Admitted that I get frustrated by Godfather and Capt. America. But loving the series overall.

I like it as well. Different moments in the series reminds me of things similiar from my experience in Afghanistan. Frustration with the Godfather type ETC... But the best is watching the enlisted guys cut on each other. Miss that stuff somedays.

I like it too, but I thought the middle episodes were lacking. This series was not meant to be so combat-heavy. Why have some many diverse personalities if you're going to be all about fighting? I particularly didn't like how the Iceman was a literate tirade spewer for two episodes.

A few things I wanted more of:

1) Confrontation with Captain America about the AK's he was firing. An enlisted threatened an officer...you don't often see this in a war series;
2) What about the "gay" soldier? Everyone knows, but no one asks, and no one tells;
3) The kid playing LT Fick is excellent. How about more about Fick?

Just my $0.02

I like it as well. Different moments in the series reminds me of things similiar from my experience in Afghanistan. Frustration with the Godfather type ETC... But the best is watching the enlisted guys cut on each other. Miss that stuff somedays.

One of the interesting parts of the book was watching how Wright's opinion of the officers changed over time. His opinion of the Godfather basically went from thinking of him as an incompetent office willing to trade his mens' lives for a pat on the head, to thinking of him as a competent, agressive Marine that got the job done. Meanwhile Captain America just looked stupider and stupider with each successive report that Wright filed. I'm wondering if the contrast is going to show up in the series.

I'm Doc Bryan from Generation Kill. I'm an M-1. When assigned to 1st Recon, I was a SARC (enlisted Hospital Corpsman with Special Operations training). To my fellow Medical Students, don't believe everything you read and see! Take the series and the book as entertainment; historical fiction at best. Good luck with school.
Mike.... stop sending me this crap!

Hey everyone,

Here's an off-topic question for you palerider if you don't mind. How do you feel your experience as a corpsman served you when it came to getting into and through med school so far?

Hey Palerider,

It's cool to see that the actual Doc Bryan is here. I would also like to know the answer to sisyphos' question as well as ask you one of my own: After having seen the six episodes that have aired already, I was all ready to buy the book until I read your comment. Is the account in the book distorted or exaggerated?

I'm Doc Bryan from Generation Kill. I'm an M-1. When assigned to 1st Recon, I was a SARC (enlisted Hospital Corpsman with Special Operations training). To my fellow Medical Students, don't believe everything you read and see! Take the series and the book as entertainment; historical fiction at best. Good luck with school.
Mike.... stop sending me this crap!

Bryan, were you an HM1 at the time? I haven't seen the show.