General surgery residency program in New York City

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jLuke

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm looking for some advice/suggestions/information about general surgery programs in NY city. Current M4 doing interviews right now. I would like to hear about Cornell, Columbia, and NYP general surgery programs i.e. operative volume, research opportunities, moonlight opportunities during research years, culture among residents and attendings.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

+1 to bump this thread! Is there anywhere the residents are actually happy?

I trained across the river in New Jersey, but we get Columbia residents, and have cofaculty that trained at NYU, Mt.Sinai, and Columbia, and interviewed at all of them + cornell myself but know the program director at Cornell.

The Columbia residents at pgy3 seemed pretty competent in the or for what I expected out of our pgy3 residents. Their operative trauma relies entirely on their 6 weeks in New Jersey.

My cofaculty from Mt Sinai (about 2 years ago) loved his experience there. He raves about the PD and their commitment to the residents. He said Mt Sinai hospital is crazy busy and that you definitely get to operate, but because of the volume there isn't as much teaching assistant opportunity. And their secondary hospital is crazy pathology. He went to an mis fellowship but took attending call there so said he felt comfortable doing that straight out of training.

NYU faculty (about 4 years removed) also believes she had great training. Bellevue is the crown jewel and they get a ton of autonomy there. She did a trauma/cc fellowship, but I believe she thinks she could have practiced straight from resudency.

None of the programs stuggle with their numbers. But 1000 cases are not all equal. These programs are all different.