General Surgery question after 50-60s

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ngo3

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, DO student interested in general surgery. Are there any older surgeons out there who are still doing surgeries when they are in their 50s and 60s? I feel that general surgery is a young man's sport and when you get older, it gets harder to withstand those long hours.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, DO student interested in general surgery. Are there any older surgeons out there who are still doing surgeries when they are in their 50s and 60s? I feel that general surgery is a young man's sport and when you get older, it gets harder to withstand those long hours.
Lol yes.

Surgery doesn't have to have long hours and there are very many surgeons in their 50s and 60s still operating. According to the ACS, 1/3 of US surgeons are over the age of 55. People don't spend at least 13 years after HS in training to quit after 20 years.

I personally know 2 surgeons in their 80s who are still actively working.

Reactions: 2 users
We have 6 surgeons over the age of 70 that I know of in a variety of surgical disciplines. I'm sure that they all have their different reasons for working well past the 'normal' retirement age. Although, I will say that we did have a disturbing trend of surgeons operating up until they are so old/sick that they end up in our own ICU. On some level there is something poetic about it. But, most of us are saddened by it and certainly don't intend to follow their example in that area.

Members don't see this ad :)
Surgeons are at their peak in their 50's and 60's. This ain't professional baseball. I mean, do you want a 38-year-old doing your hernia?

Surgeons are at their peak in their 50's and 60's. This ain't professional baseball. I mean, do you want a 38-year-old doing your hernia?
Thats actually an interesting discussion. Surgeons are at their peak technically (meaning strictly things like hand-eye coordination, tremor, endurance, visual acuity) in their early 20s, with a fairly substantial dropoff. But from a decision-making and experience standpoint obviously their peak is much later, probably not 60s but maybe 50s depending on when they started their career etc. Its a bit unfortunate that there isnt really any way to capitalize and maximize overall surgical skill.

Reactions: 1 user
Thats actually an interesting discussion. Surgeons are at their peak technically (meaning strictly things like hand-eye coordination, tremor, endurance, visual acuity) in their early 20s, with a fairly substantial dropoff. But from a decision-making and experience standpoint obviously their peak is much later, probably not 60s but maybe 50s depending on when they started their career etc. Its a bit unfortunate that there isnt really any way to capitalize and maximize overall surgical skill.
In that case, it sounds like attendings directing residents is the best mix of skill and experience.

early 20's? how is that possible? even going straight through, you wouldn't start surgical residency until 26. Then graduate at 31....?

early 20's? how is that possible? even going straight through, you wouldn't start surgical residency until 26. Then graduate at 31....?
It isn't. That's the time of your physical peak, in terms of dexterity, hand eye coordination, visual acuity. Unfortunately we use our powers at that age for beer pong.

Reactions: 4 users
probably at their peak at 50s. definitely not 60s.