General Surgery Internship & I Hate Life Right Now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glenoid fossa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to learn a lot as an intern and get experience with some procedures that might help me be a better anesthesiology resident. I knew I would work harder than if I did medicine or a transitional year, but I was okay with that.

Now, I can't believe I am stuck in this mess. I work 100 hours per week. I get talked down to, yelled at, and/or cussed daily. No matter how hard I work, it is never good enough or appreciated, and I really don't think I have learned all that much for my trouble because I am basically just a slave for paperwork and consults. I haven't even been to the OR, and I don't even want to go anymore because I know I will just be yelled at and humiliated further. I can only sleep four hours per night. On top of all my work in the hospital, I'm constantly having to come home and work on presentations or assigned readings/quizzes. I simply cannot keep going at this pace, especially when it is coupled with how badly I'm treated while I am there.

I am so miserable right now that I would walk away from medicine completely if I didn't have so much debt. I can't think of anything that is worth this, even if it is just for one year. I'm not even excited about anesthesiology anymore because I can't stand the thought of working with surgeons.

Members don't see this ad.

I just wanted to learn a lot as an intern and get experience with some procedures that might help me be a better anesthesiology resident. I knew I would work harder than if I did medicine or a transitional year, but I was okay with that.

Now, I can't believe I am stuck in this mess. I work 100 hours per week. I get talked down to, yelled at, and/or cussed daily. No matter how hard I work, it is never good enough or appreciated, and I really don't think I have learned all that much for my trouble because I am basically just a slave for paperwork and consults. I haven't even been to the OR, and I don't even want to go anymore because I know I will just be yelled at and humiliated further. I can only sleep four hours per night. On top of all my work in the hospital, I'm constantly having to come home and work on presentations or assigned readings/quizzes. I simply cannot keep going at this pace, especially when it is coupled with how badly I'm treated while I am there.

I am so miserable right now that I would walk away from medicine completely if I didn't have so much debt. I can't think of anything that is worth this, even if it is just for one year. I'm not even excited about anesthesiology anymore because I can't stand the thought of working with surgeons.

empathize with ya position bud. but u know, this is only a short moment in a grand scale of things... everything changes and before you know it, you'll be done and ready to move on.

jkn0155l.jpg

Last edited:

We only have two months of surgery in our intern year (one of which I've already done) and I have no idea how I would endure an ENTIRE YEAR (or worse...residency) of that BS. It's amazing how the surgery folks sometimes don't even seem to recognize how crappy their lives are...like they just expect it to be bad. Eek.

Good luck, and I really sympathize with your situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
We only have two months of surgery in our intern year (one of which I've already done) and I have no idea how I would endure an ENTIRE YEAR (or worse...residency) of that BS. It's amazing how the surgery folks sometimes don't even seem to recognize how crappy their lives are...like they just expect it to be bad. Eek.

Good luck, and I really sympathize with your situation.

ok. so the thought of being a surgeon only crossed my mind once, but i keep on hearing so many bad things about rotations and internship in surgery that i wonder why anybody would do it.. and at the same time it has me covering my crotch as an MS-I in order to prepare for the gonad-kicking time in my third year when i have to go through it...so yea, why?? are there actually non-malignant programs out there? did any of you anesthesiologists want to be surgeons and now regret your decision for going into gas? just curious...:D

ok. so the thought of being a surgeon only crossed my mind once, but i keep on hearing so many bad things about rotations and internship in surgery that i wonder why anybody would do it.. and at the same time it has me covering my crotch as an MS-I in order to prepare for the gonad-kicking time in my third year when i have to go through it...so yea, why?? are there actually non-malignant programs out there? did any of you anesthesiologists want to be surgeons and now regret your decision for going into gas? just curious...:D

I actually wanted to be a surgeon starting medical school. Shadowed an anesthesiologist summer of MS1-MS2 to gain more exposures to different surgeries...you get the best view at the head! What changed my position was a combinations of things...most importantly because of my mentor (the Anesthesiologist that I shadowed)...an enthusiastic laid back teacher, taught me airway management techniques, pharmacophysiology, immediate results you get in anes, independent nature of the work (no social worker, no nurses, no dietician, no therapist, etcc.. it just you amigo), and slowly I find myself more drawn to the physiology/pharm/biochem of anesthesiology rather than cutting & sewing. That was my first exposure to clinical medicine and it left a lasting impression on me.

Also hearing horrid stories about surgery residencies made me think...Do I really wanted to put my family through that process?

The method of teaching differed greatly between anes and surg (from my limited experience as an MS4).....my anesthesiologist mentor taught in a down to earth, non-pimping, non-degrading, manner. He even came to practice taekwondo with me at my dojang after work. We developed a good rapport and trade jokes. HUMOR is a great medicine. We became good friends outside the OR. When you develop a great rapport with your teacher and colleagues...you learn better, you actually ended up working harder, and cover each other backs like a family...hence all the INTERN RETREATS AND TRIP TO pubs/bars/football games...forming intramural soccer teams w/ collegues!

AS FOR SURG....A HUGE HUGE DIFFERENT CULTURE and STYLE OF TEACHING. MORE MILITARY-LIKE. You have to know your place in the pecking order. My advice to you for the surgery rotation: 1) Keep quiet & Don't Complain 2) Work hard and be respectful. That's it, pretty simple and you'll do well.

Last edited:
Hang in there. I empathize. I bought into the ethic of doing a "strong" intern year. I did a medical internship year at a gung ho medicine program. All the other 1 year people were forced to do their internship there by the program that they matched to at the institution. Except the derm guys who had a late match and needed to buff the CV. I hated life during that year. However now I am glad I did the year. The training served me well. Hang in there. Remember they can always hurt you more, but they can't stop the clock.

Similar story for me, did medicine intern year (talk about rounding forever), i felt it really helped me in anesthesia, and it certainly does now that i am in a ICU fellowship.

One thing i learned is that after being totally frustrated about my life for the first 4 months i decided to just give in an accept how things were. i couldnt change how other people treated me, the amount of crappy work, or the late hours. ONce i accepted that fact and realized i could only change how i responded to the situation things felt better and less painful even when they were not. Find a way to gain control in your life over things that only you can control. Develop relationships with nurses or other house staff so that being there and being dumped on doesnt seem as bad when in the context of a fun/friendly environment.

BTW surgery is not the only place people can treat you like sh*^, pimping medicine attending can make you feel pretty small too.

good luck and stay strong

Yup medicine and surgery pretty much suck. I'm doing SICU right now, and am remebering the joys of rounding, taking call to get dumped on by everyone, being post-call and getting berated for (insert ridiculous reason here), listening to everyone talk about "it's about time you anesthesia guys work" jokes.
A daily visit to gaswork helps me smooth out the bad trip I'm experiencing.:D
I'll tell ya what, I'll work with the most malignant anesthesia attending, doing crappy cases, w/lousy ancillary staff any day over working in any other specialty for even a single day. I love my specialty more by the minute.

sounds miserable.

And a lot of it is misery without any redeeming purpose. Though there is some that you don't recognize yet.

In any event, it will improve over time. And the year will end.

Try an SSRI.

Seek pleasure is small things you can control - spend money on food and drink that you like - buy candy bars when you want them, etc.

I'm sorry you're having such a miserable experience.

Sounds like you made a mistake - not necessarily in choosing a Prelim Surgical year, but in choice of program. While it is true that Surgery does tend to be more hierarchical than others, it is not true that it has to be malignant or demeaning. And what's this with quizzes and presentations? We had one "quiz" a year (our ITE) and presentations rarely. Our prelims (and my program was nowhere near a dream place to be) were in the OR all the time, so it really sounds beastly there to go through all that trouble but not be rewarded for it.

As others have noted, its a year, or the cliched, "they can't stop the clock". After the year is over you will be able to leave, knowing you have survived, perhaps kicking yourself for the decision, but moving on to a field of your choice and a few short years away from your practice. And as noted by Pilot Doc, try and find some pleasure in the small things. It might be a candy bar, going to the gym, playing some video games, etc. It might not be a bad idea to try an anti-depressant; you'd be suprised at the number of your colleagues on one.

Hang in there. I know there is a lot of sympathy for you here.

empathize with ya position bud. but u know, this is only a short moment in a grand scale of things... everything changes and before you know it, you'll be done and ready to move on.

jkn0155l.jpg

Aren't you an MS4? With all due respect, it's not helpful to tell an intern feeling like jumping from the helipad that it's a short moment.....even if it is. You'll see when you feel like driving off a bridge to avoid having to walk one more day into the hospital that has stolen your life and turned you in to a depressed, jaded, scut puppy. Every day feels like an eternity.

To the OP- I feel your pain. I'm not even excited about anesthesia anymore. I just keep hoping things will get better and I remember Jet's words of wisdom :)

Aren't you an MS4? With all due respect, it's not helpful to tell an intern feeling like jumping from the helipad that it's a short moment.....even if it is. You'll see when you feel like driving off a bridge to avoid having to walk one more day into the hospital that has stolen your life and turned you in to a depressed, jaded, scut puppy. Every day feels like an eternity.

To the OP- I feel your pain. I'm not even excited about anesthesia anymore. I just keep hoping things will get better and I remember Jet's words of wisdom :)

No hard feelings or bad intentions here polkadotcap. That is why I choose the word "empathy" rather than "sympathy". I know I am a lowly MS4...I have not experience what the OP went through but I'm drawing this with my conversation from close friends who are surg interns. I agree I am not helpful commenting on this thread...but as someone with life experience full of hardships...I know they don't last. Impermanence...Just words of wisdoms passed down from my teachers when I was a monk at the buddhist monestary. :thumbup:

meditation.jpg

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am so miserable right now that I would walk away from medicine completely if I didn't have so much debt.

This statement has a stronger prognostic value for being an intern than anything that can be written. I was so just there months ago and already it feels like one of those things that is SO DAMN GOOD to leave behind you. Intern year SUCKS. It sounds like you might be at a place where you can't meet up and drink with your future co-CA-1s, which is even worse. Now is the time to rally your troops- your sig other, family, cats/dogs, friends. Reach out to them and let them be there for you, even though NONE of them have any idea what you're going through. (I can remember being so pissed off when people would try to encourage me, simply because they just had no clue. Smile and let them buy you drinks).

Remember that it's August and even though it's a ****ty game, you're going to be playing it much better in a few months. Things will settle into a routine, then it'll be March, then you'll start counting down the months until you do anesthesia, and before you know it it will be over, even though it seems like the year will never end. HANG IN THERE. Vent to random strangers on the internet. The way you learn in med school and the way you learn in internship are totally different- you aren't getting smarter, you're getting more experienced and when you look back it will count for much more than it seems at the time.

And finally- yes, you will be working in the same OR with then next year, yes, they will still get their digs in, but I LEFT THE HOSPITAL POST CALL AT 7AM THIS MORNING. And you always have that over them. :)

For what it's worth, medicine internship is ****ty too. Not as much yelling and cussing, but you are still a scut monkey and people can still be pretty nasty. I'm just telling you, it gets better. Even is 3-4 months it will be better b/c you will get good at doing stuff faster...and you won't care what people say to you any more.
I think it's funny that people are telling the OP to drug himself...I'm against that unless the depression preceded the internship. He's just reacting in a reasonable way to an unreasonable situation, which I don't think necessarily merits pharmacologic intervention :)

I think it's funny that people are telling the OP to drug himself...I'm against that unless the depression preceded the internship. He's just reacting in a reasonable way to an unreasonable situation, which I don't think necessarily merits pharmacologic intervention :)

To me, that's the equivalent of saying:
"Of course you're bleeding profusely, someone just hit you in the head with a brick. Don't worry - it's a normal reaction. No need for stitches or holding pressure - the bleeding will stop eventually"

Just try the SSRI - if it helps, great - I've never heard of anyone getting addicted or abusing them. If not, don't take them anymore.

Thanks for all the support. I really appreciate everyone's posts. It helps to be reminded that others are suffering (or have suffered) through the same thing.

I know what you mean. I spent 4 years in the Marine Corps (boot camp, paratrooper, etc). I would gladly do the 4 years over again rather than an internship year again.

I agree with the SSRI attempt. If it manages to elevate your mood temporarily and helps you get through the bad times, so what if it is "drugging" yourself. Mood elevators are not contra-indicated for situational depression.

Just remember, the number of days you will be smiling (non-stop) when you start the anesthesia years is directly proportional to the toughness of your internship year.

Please know that we are all pulling for you.

Don't mean to compromise your anonymity, but could you share with us which hospital you're working at? I don't think they're treating you appropriately.

Was on call last night with one of the new CA-1's. Typical summer night, full of car accidents, shootings, stabbings, whatnot... in other words, pretty busy. At about 4AM, the CA-1, looks at me and says, "Have I mentioned tonight how glad I am to be done with internship?" He was completely serious.

Internship sucks, but it will come to an end. Hang in there!

I completed a surgery intern year and I have to say, going into it, surgery was one of the last things I wanted to do. Despite this, I learned so much during that year and can't imagine having a better educational experience. Yes, I worked up to 120 hours a week a few times and was tired, stressed, and got yelled at quite a bit, but in the end I think a surgery year is an excellent option for people who are going into Anesthesia. I wanted to quit a bunch of times but am so glad that I did not. Looking back, I could not have made a better decision. Good luck, things will get better, and most importantly you will learn a lot.

Hang in there. Remember they can always hurt you more, but they can't stop the clock.[/QUOTE]

Try to think about how much fun anesthesia will be.

Cambie

op, i felt like this once as a med student on a tough rotation. its just the chronic sleep deprivation talking...hang in there, anesthesia is around the corner.
to all those med students out there, take a lesson from this. some of my peers took a tough internship because of location, etc. they are all miserable. when looking at a residency program take the intern year into consideration. everyone always rationalizes that its only a year, etc. but a year is a long time to be miserable

... I'll tell ya what, I'll work with the most malignant anesthesia attending, doing crappy cases, w/lousy ancillary staff any day over working in any other specialty for even a single day. I love my specialty more by the minute.

amen, brother beavis ...

O.P.

Hang in there dude. It does start getting better. Right now you're being overwhelmed with being in a new city, a new hospital, trying to fit in with new people, with a new computer system (to you), all the while being new to the art of medicine. Get my point? It's sensory and psychologic overload. The problem is that the resident staff is stretched soooo thin that mistakes or anything less then perfection comes with significant repercussions. I remember that time in my life. It's not that far away. It was ****'n awful. But you know what? The learning curve is very steep. You're learning sooo much, yet you don't even realize it. By October, this will be an old hat. You'll get there. We all made it. So will you.

I'm really, really sorry you are having such a hard time.

I empathize....and can relate to your emotional status right now....I've had several challenges in my life, a few very big ones in the last several years.... both personal and professional....hopelessness is a feeling unexplainable to someone who has never felt it.

If I can give you some humble, respectful words:

1) Take care of yourself. You are the most important one right now during this time. Your patients will benefit if you search for any little joy during your day.....eat a popsicle.....glance at a nonmedical magazine....call a friend.

2)Stay connected to whoever is important in your life. Rely on them during this time. They will listen to you and provide you with comfort. Parents, friends, whoever. Hell, I don't know you but if you wanna PM me and rant and rave I'll listen.

3)Prayer.....maybe I'm stepping out of my boundaries a little here, but it does help. You're not alone.

4)Make a gratitude list. Such a hard thing to do when your life is sucking....we all have things in our life that we're thankful for....write down 4 or 5 and say to yourself "I'm thankful for...."

Its overwhelming.

I know.

You're obviously a gifted individual.

Hang in there.:thumbup:

thx jet, for this last advice.. I am going through something similar than the OP...
GL to you guys

Who curses and treats you like ****?

Why do they not treat you with respect? Can someone shed some insight please for those who are not in med school yet.

I just came across this thread and was wondering why you would be treated like that. Your not working in a jail.

For residencies that offer advanced positions, do they care whether you do a transitional year or medicine?

To me, that's the equivalent of saying:
"Of course you're bleeding profusely, someone just hit you in the head with a brick. Don't worry - it's a normal reaction. No need for stitches or holding pressure - the bleeding will stop eventually"

Just try the SSRI - if it helps, great - I've never heard of anyone getting addicted or abusing them. If not, don't take them anymore.

What's wrong with this statement? Regardless of how much you're bleeding, eventually it will stop, no matter what. Didn't you learn anything in med school? :)

today in my morning conference the case was presented of a early-30's post-doc dx with stage IV adenocarcinoma of the lung. Found during routine pre-employment physical after pos PPD led to a CXR.

And I thought to myself...he's finally done with everything- probably thinking, okay, got through school, endless training, finally gonna be able to start paying off the loans and grabbing a coffee in the morning on my way in. But no...now he is dying.

These days I feel as though I am continually putting off my life- I tell myself "It will get better", "This too shall pass", and everything else I can just so I don't jump off the helipad at 3 am on a call night. It's not like this is that "hard", it's just pretty much the exact OPPOSITE of what I want to do with my days- with my life. What if that were to be my chest x ray next month? I am PRAYING it gets better next year- but will it? Major identity crisis over here- anyone else feeling the same way?

I'll be 30 next month. I'm an intern and my whole life has been about getting thru school. I took the longer scenic route. Now that I am here and working again, I am trying to take care of family (not kids either). And getting sick of it and it's draining me. Always one responsibility after another. And now I'm realizing that life is too short and I need to live for myself. I can't keep putting off enjoying myself much longer. Next year, I'm getting out of this dumpy apartment, moving into a nice downtown apartment, and living it up during residency as much as I can. Because our days here are numbered and we can't keep putting life off any longer. Intern year sucks, but next year my work week will be cut by 15hrs and I will have time to live and have fun. That's the plan for now.

It sucks so far. Long time lurker/occasional poster...mostly as premed, some in application cycle. I'm at the VA, and often times I feel like running towards the door and never coming back. The only way I encourage myself is by prayer, talking with my family and loved ones, and knowing that each day I complete is one less to do, and a step towards my future. It's getting a little better, and even though everyone at the VA is crazy! (janitor hollered a chief of medicine for standing in his way of mopping!!!), I try to just hang in there.

Medicine is all about delayed gratification, except delayed gratification is an illusion, like a desert oasis off in the distance. Many of us are in medicine to be the best, but to be the best you have to challenge and push yourself constantly. I think many people tend to think that if they get to that next step, they can relax and enjoy themselves a bit. But that's not how medicine is. Once you get into medical school you have to study to get a good residency. When you get to that good residency you find out you're going to be an attending soon, making your own decisions, so you better learn as much as you can. And once you're a new attending you realize people won't send patients to a lazy doctor so you work harder than you ever have. If you are in academics you realize you need to impress to become an associate, then a full professor, then chair. Once you're chair you realize you have more work than ever.

Either you push all the way to the top, or you tell yourself to stop at some point. It's arbitrary. There is no clear end of the road when everyone takes it easy and lives the good life. Medicine just doesn't work that way. I agree that you just need to slow down at some point and take care of yourself. Treat yourself to dinner, a vacation, some time off, or if all fails, find something else that is more fulfilling in your life.

That being said, a surgical internship is incredibly painful, and it does get better. It doesn't get easier, but it gets better... even for those who stay in surgery. Be cautious about quitting during internship. Most are not in their right minds during internship. It is unusually stressful and your perspective can be warped quite a bit. Remember what your goals were and why you had them in the first place. Give things some time before you make rash decisions. I nearly changed my career path (which is why I still visit this forum) but I'm glad I didn't.

Last edited:
Medicine is all about delayed gratification, except delayed gratification is an illusion, like a desert oasis off in the distance. Many of us are in medicine to be the best, but to be the best you have to challenge and push yourself constantly. I think many people tend to think that if they get to that next step, they can relax and enjoy themselves a bit. But that's not how medicine is. Once you get into medical school you have to study to get a good residency. When you get to that good residency you find out you're going to be an attending soon, making your own decisions, so you better learn as much as you can. And once you're a new attending you realize people won't send patients to a lazy doctor so you work harder than you ever have. If you are in academics you realize you need to impress to become an associate, then a full professor, then chair. Once you're chair you realize you have more work than ever.

Either you push all the way to the top, or you tell yourself to stop at some point. It's arbitrary. There is no clear end of the road when everyone takes it easy and lives the good life. Medicine just doesn't work that way. I agree that you just need to slow down at some point and take care of yourself. Treat yourself to dinner, a vacation, some time off, or if all fails, find something else that is more fulfilling in your life.

That being said, a surgical internship is incredibly painful, and it does get better. It doesn't get easier, but it gets better... even for those who stay in surgery. Be cautious about quitting during internship. Most are not in their right minds during internship. It is unusually stressful and your perspective can be warped quite a bit. Remember what your goals were and why you had them in the first place. Give things some time before you make rash decisions. I nearly changed my career path (which is why I still visit this forum) but I'm glad I didn't.

If this isn't wisdom, I don't know what is--the whole lot of it.

Great post. :thumbup:

today in my morning conference the case was presented of a early-30's post-doc dx with stage IV adenocarcinoma of the lung. Found during routine pre-employment physical after pos PPD led to a CXR.

And I thought to myself...he's finally done with everything- probably thinking, okay, got through school, endless training, finally gonna be able to start paying off the loans and grabbing a coffee in the morning on my way in. But no...now he is dying.

These days I feel as though I am continually putting off my life- I tell myself "It will get better", "This too shall pass", and everything else I can just so I don't jump off the helipad at 3 am on a call night. It's not like this is that "hard", it's just pretty much the exact OPPOSITE of what I want to do with my days- with my life. What if that were to be my chest x ray next month? I am PRAYING it gets better next year- but will it? Major identity crisis over here- anyone else feeling the same way?

Yes, I thought of that before. But the question is would you be happier if you chose different path? There have been studies done where they compared guy who won million dollars with a guy that got paralyzed. Year later their level of happiness was the same! You need to watch that video. It's 20 min long but good. http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/dan_gilbert_asks_why_are_we_happy.html

Is this general feeling of absolute pain and lack of sleep still true nowadays with the 80 hr rule? Or is that a complete myth?

Is this general feeling of absolute pain and lack of sleep still true nowadays with the 80 hr rule? Or is that a complete myth?

its more of a feeling of groundhog's day with the 16 hr shifts and 80 hour work week. I work ~78 per week and its more annoying than anything else. Were here when we dont need to be and were not here when we need to be.

to the OP, hang in there bud, its a sixth of the way over.

PGY-1 = Anesthesia Appreciation Year.

You're just frustrated because intern year is still fresh enough that your soul still has a spark of fight left in it. Eventually that too will be burned out and you can slog through the rest of intern year without a struggle. Then when CA-1 hits it will be like drinking a frosty beverage of your choosing after a long trek through the desert.

Who curses and treats you like ****?

Why do they not treat you with respect? Can someone shed some insight please for those who are not in med school yet.

I just came across this thread and was wondering why you would be treated like that. Your not working in a jail.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I love this reply! I can't tell if he/she is serious. OP, this had to make you laugh!!!

PGY-1 = Anesthesia Appreciation Year.

You're just frustrated because intern year is still fresh enough that your soul still has a spark of fight left in it. Eventually that too will be burned out and you can slog through the rest of intern year without a struggle. Then when CA-1 hits it will be like drinking a frosty beverage of your choosing after a long trek through the desert.

God I hope that's true. I know the original post was about surgeery but floors completely blow too. And Im only a week into the general med floors...at a fairly cush tran year as well. Im just not looking forward to anything that involves a hospital anymore. The regular medicine residents are cool with this drudgery? 400lb diabetics yelling at you cuz they cant smoke in their room, dealing with crazy guy in room whatever rubbin one out aggressively when any nurse walks in, paging attendings, runnin all over sweating to catch them so you can update them and go home (then they just tell you to consult ID so you gotta find that guy too). Its exhausting.

To all the interns out there, stay strong. I remember reading on this forum the wise saying, "the days go by slow, but the years go by fast". So true! I just finished my anesthesia residency this past July. I can promise you that intern year will come to an end. It's painful no matter what specialty you do. Take joy in the small things in life and remember that at the end of the day we can walk out the hospital and go home. Many of our patients can't.

Um if you are an intern this year I believe you are bound by the new rules. The ones where you cant average more than 80h a week, take overnight call, etc etc. If your program puts you in violation, simply tell your attending you will be honest about reporting hours. If you leave late at 10pm, inform your team you will be coming in 10 hours later, as decided upon by the ACGME. Personally I had a great experience my intern year in surgery, and I learned an incredible amount and got to be with people that for the most part fostered my attitude that I carry with me now. And by that I mean I always try to do things with the attitude of a surgeon, think and act confidently and always try to "think one level above your own" which you'll see next year...not every CA1 will have. If your program treats you like doo doo, then simply play by the rules. They cant fire you unless you are infringing upon patient care so do it that way.

For the record, I think that doing surgery first year really helped. If anything I truly appreciate my new hours this year!

Um if you are an intern this year I believe you are bound by the new rules. The ones where you cant average more than 80h a week, take overnight call, etc etc. If your program puts you in violation, simply tell your attending you will be honest about reporting hours. If you leave late at 10pm, inform your team you will be coming in 10 hours later, as decided upon by the ACGME. Personally I had a great experience my intern year in surgery, and I learned an incredible amount and got to be with people that for the most part fostered my attitude that I carry with me now. And by that I mean I always try to do things with the attitude of a surgeon, think and act confidently and always try to "think one level above your own" which you'll see next year...not every CA1 will have. If your program treats you like doo doo, then simply play by the rules. They cant fire you unless you are infringing upon patient care so do it that way.

For the record, I think that doing surgery first year really helped. If anything I truly appreciate my new hours this year!

FYI - the OP was in 2008.

Pressure...bursts pipes or builds diamonds.

Pressure...bursts pipes or builds diamonds.

Spoken like someone looking in from the outside. Some days in internship you just want to scream at the 5th social admit for non-compliance, the futile procedures in end-stage patients, the complete inability to say "Let's Stop this Foolishness" that exists in the US. But no, demented 92 year old will get his pacemaker, great-grandma Eunice will still be full-code at age 97, and Mr. Drink-a-liter-of-vodka-a-day-for-the-sake-of-my-pancreas will get admitted yet again for pancreatitis. If I could spend every day of internship in the unit, I would, but I still have 2 more IM rotations... Fortunately I also have skiing within 2 hours to dull the pain.

Spoken like someone looking in from the outside. Some days in internship you just want to scream at the 5th social admit for non-compliance, the futile procedures in end-stage patients, the complete inability to say "Let's Stop this Foolishness" that exists in the US. But no, demented 92 year old will get his pacemaker, great-grandma Eunice will still be full-code at age 97, and Mr. Drink-a-liter-of-vodka-a-day-for-the-sake-of-my-pancreas will get admitted yet again for pancreatitis. If I could spend every day of internship in the unit, I would, but I still have 2 more IM rotations... Fortunately I also have skiing within 2 hours to dull the pain.

That's awesome, you must be in UT?

As a fellow intern I feel your pain. The money wasted on the pt's you describe is ridiculous. Too bad there's not a 3 strike law on patients that waste resources. The sense of entitlement is out of control. A few weeks ago at the resident clinic I had an ex-convict prostitute pt that showed up for her appt 3 hours early. She was irritated that she had to wait and ended up creating a scene, threatening the clinic CEO, and was ultimately escorted to jail by the police. What was her appointment for? Another desperate attempt to acquire narcotics from me despite multiple denials and after multiple referrals to pain management (she was discharged from pain management for drug seeking behavior), all on the tax payers dime. CA-1 year can't come soon enough.