General Question, Need your opinion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I go to pharmacy school?(Read my questions first)

• Yes

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

missy1990

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, guys, I know all of you are doing pharmacy so your opinion is very important for me.
I have a bachelor of science in computer engineering. I took my BS in January 2016.
I was always interested in becoming a pharmacist and I don't know how I ended up study engineering.
This fall, I started to go college to fulfill my requirements for pharmacy.
I took English101/102 - Calculus 1 and 2 - statistics and physics.
I am going to take bio and chem too.
I am 26 years old and filling all these requirements will take me one more year. and also I have to study for pcat.
I like it, but everyone keeps saying to me that I am too old to start it now.
If I am lucky I would start pharmacy school at the age of 29 or maybe 30.
but I really do not see myself in an engineering field.
What is your opinion? Am I too old to start this? I know I have to follow my dreams and everything but I am not sure.
Also, I do not have a background in biology and I will start to study it in college.
What should I do for PCAT? should I start to study for that now?

I really appreciate your comments and your opinion.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, guys, I know all of you are doing pharmacy so your opinion is very important for me.
I have a bachelor of science in computer engineering. I took my BS in January 2016.
I was always interested in becoming a pharmacist and I don't know how I ended up study engineering.
I am 26 years old and filling all these requirements will take me one more year. and also I have to study for pcat.
What is your opinion? Am I too old to start this? I know I have to follow my dreams and everything but I am not sure.
Also, I do not have a background in biology and I will start to study it in college.

PCAT in nearly mandatory. You will need to have taken at least 1 semester of organic chemistry in order to be "prepared." You might be able to get away with not taking 2 semesters, but you should have finished most of the prerequisites before testing.

I have a bachelor of science in computer engineering.

Can you not find a job in this field?
Are you in debt?
Why do you want to become a Pharmacist?
Have any tech experience or knowledge of the pharmacy profession?

Members don't see this ad :)

Sudden interview questions:

1. Why pharmacy?
2. Where do you see yourself after pharmacy school?
3. Name 3 things that you did not like about engineering
4. Would you be interested in doing post graduate training, either a residency or a fellowship? Why?

No, you are not too old. You may not even be the oldest in your class.
You should take the PCAT after taking your prereqs so that you've learned all the material on the test.

WTF computer engineering .. let's all wait for stoichiometrist to come to the rescue :greedy:

Reactions: 2 users
You have a BS in engineering and don't already have Calc 1/2, physics, or stats? And no English? English was a gen-ed for anyone with any degree at my school. Are you sure you don't already meet these basic core classes?

It's your choice whether you want to be an engineer or pharmacist.

To warn you though, computer science / engineering has one of the best job markets out there. If you switch to pharmacy, you will be trading a profession with excellent growth and job prospects for one that is terrible and still getting worse each year while taking out $200k+ in loans and spending another 4 years in school.

Also make sure that you really want to be a pharmacist first before you sign away $200k+ in loans. 70% of the jobs are in retail, so be sure to work there as a tech before you apply to pharmacy school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

No way! Any time is fine. I left high school thinking I wanted to be a pharmacist, then I almost didn't finish undergrad. Fast forward, and My child was born during my last semester, so I went to work as a chemist at a local pharmaceutical manufacturing plant. Did my masters in pharmaceutical chemistry while I was working there. I just took my PCAT and I will be starting in 2018 at the age of 28

Reactions: 1 user
Yes I had passed calculus 1 and 2 in my BS but it was out of USA so I have to take it again.
I love to be a pharmacist because : I'll be a doctor - I always loved health care industry and trust me if I was younger I would start thinking about medical school.
I hate the job as an computer engineer because I do not have any interaction with people and its just me and my laptop. All the co workers are bunch of nerds and computer engineering major students are wierd, trust me! I am not a social person and if do not interact with people or anything I would be very sad.
I have worked during my bachelor. Yes, the paying is good but it is very boring for me. its just me and my pc, they email me the stracture and I do it. thats it.
I was thinking about some other majors in engineering too, but the salary is not good, like web design or etc.
and also as I know the salary for a Pharm D is very good, its a high paying job.
Correct me if I am wrong.
What do you think?

@missy1990 Even though pharmacists' scope of practice is expanding, you won't really be a doctor. If that's what you want, you should go for medical school. Trust me, 26 or even 29 is not too old!

Pharmacists have a high salary, but you need to check the job market in your area...definitely talk to some pharmacists, and try and get a job in a pharmacy, too.