General MCAT study questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shrike

Lanius examinatianus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is unlike the others: it is intended to provide answers to questions that are about how best to study for the MCAT, but that do not relate to a particular subject.

As you'll see, we're going to be treading delicately in the vicinity of the two most commonly-asked questions about MCAT preparation: should I take a prep course and which one. We need to address these, because they are so commonly asked and so important to so many forum participants. But it's difficult to do appropriately, and the reasons for that should be clear: (1) this isn't a commercial forum, and (2) our views are likely to be biased by our personal situations. I (Shrike) teach for The Princeton Review, and have done so for years. QofQuimica teaches for Kaplan, and has done so for years. Others among the experienced posters in this sub-forum also work, or have worked, for test prep companies. Most of us will baised in favor of test prep courses for many test-takers, and I suspect we also tend toward bias in favor of our particular companies. (We probably like what they do, or we would work elsewhere; I won't speak for others but I know this is true of me.) We're going to try very hard not to let those biases affect what they say, but it's almost inevitable that some partisanship will creep in. Take what we say with the appropriate amount of sodium chloride.

And just in case it isn't apparent (particularly to those who haven't watched our posts over the months and years), we are not working on this forum because of our connections to the business. We're not speaking for our employers, but for ourselves. Our companies didn't ask us to do this, don't give us anything for it, don't officially know we're doing it, and as far as I know would rather we didn't. We are doing this because we know you need answers, and we like helping. That's it.

Primary moderator: jmugele. Jmugele graduated with a bachelors in English and chemistry. He's been working in artificial intelligence software for the past 8 years. He scored 40S on the MCAT.

Occasional moderator: Shrike. Shrike is a full-time instructor for The Princeton Review. He has taken the MCAT twice for no good reason, once scoring 38T despite never having seen an organic chemistry book and last taking biology and chemistry before some of you were born. His schooling is in mathematics, physics, economics, and law.

All other team members from each of the other threads may also provide answers in this thread.

Members don't see this ad.

is it possible for you to make a course schedule that includes all the classes of the MCAT before you take the MCAT? This of course would be the best option.

However, if you can't do that, I think your 2nd plan will still be feasible. Because, physiology and microbiology are not strictly needed on the MCAT. I don't think that the MCAT will ever ask you to devise a selection method using X-gal for your bacterial clones, that you are using to express insulin DNA (from a general Microbiology class) or trace the route of an overheat stimulus from your index finger, naming all nerves along the way and telling the neurotransmitters involved (a physiology class). You will only ever encounter very basic things from these subjects, which a general biology course will most probably cover for you. So, if you miss physiology and microbiology, I think there is no sweat.

As long as you cover

Physics
Organic Chemistry
General Chemistry
General Biology
and good English

before the MCAT and leave yourself study time

you are in good shape.

thank you for your advice

I was thinking of another gameplan.. what if I took orgo chem and physics together my soph year and then I had the summer to prac the MCATs with everything fresh on my memory and can take it august before my junior year. But I am worried because I wouldnt have had physciology or microbiology.

If you could give me your opinon on doing that instead of the other option (in the other post) I would appreciate it

thank you in advance
The things tested on the MCAT from those two courses will also be covered in your intro biology class. Of the two I think physio might be more helpful depending on how good your physio section in intro bio was. But if you don't have time I think you'll still be fine.

I took Organic during the fall/spring semesters and I've heard some horror stories about taking it over the summer. If you can find an upper classman who has taken it over the summer at your school, I'd ask them how it was. That varies from school to school and at your uni it might be fine. :)

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just want to have a realistic med school experience from a successful person like you.

Thanks!
Sigh, there is a very long way to go until I become an MD still. Right now I'm just thinking about how to get through my exam next week. :p

If you want to read med student blogs, there are tons of them on SDN. Some blogs are blogs sponsored by SDN, and some of the blogs are just linked to SDN from Google.

There's also a really good website, Blogs of Medical Students, that has links to tons of great blogs written by med students from all over the world. Check it out. It's pretty fun to read blogs from med students in other countries; amazingly, we all go through pretty much the same s*** no matter where we are. :smuggrin:

Hi, I have a problem finishing the verbal section on time. I always end up with at least 2 passages with 15 minutes left. I've tried pacing myself so that I go through about less than 10 minutes per passage, but with the timer counting down, it's sometimes difficult for me to gauge. I've been scoring 9's in the Kaplan full-lengths and that's with my "semi-guessing" on the last passage (using the Kaplan startegy of reading the first sentence of each paragraph if you only have 5 minutes left to a passage). I believe that if I could just finish, I could raise that to a 10 since I'm already getting a hang of how to answer verbal questions. I tried doing the "guess-and-move-on" strategy on difficult questions, but often I feel like I could answer the question if spend just a little more time on it (and often times I do get it right).

I haven't done any AAMC tests yet except CBT 3R as a diagnostic where I scored a 6 on VR.

Any tips appreciated! Thanks!

P.S.> Mods: I just realized I posted on the wrong forum. Please feel free to move this to the Verbal Q&A section or wherever you see fit. Sorry!

As a result of an atrocious freshman gpa, I am going to need to wait till after my senior year to apply because I need the extra time to bring my ugpa up. However, I will have taken all my prereqs by the end of the 2007-2008 (my junior) year. Should I take the mcat after my junior year when the material is fresh or give myself an extra year to study?

I don't mind putting in more time if it is effective, but I have not encountered anyone on these boards who says they studied longer than say 6 months. Is this referring only to the hardcore lockdown pre-test date studying?

And, if you advise waiting till the year I am applying, is there a thread somewhere that refers to long-term study strategies?

As a result of an atrocious freshman gpa, I am going to need to wait till after my senior year to apply because I need the extra time to bring my ugpa up. However, I will have taken all my prereqs by the end of the 2007-2008 (my junior) year. Should I take the mcat after my junior year when the material is fresh or give myself an extra year to study?

I don't mind putting in more time if it is effective, but I have not encountered anyone on these boards who says they studied longer than say 6 months. Is this referring only to the hardcore lockdown pre-test date studying?

And, if you advise waiting till the year I am applying, is there a thread somewhere that refers to long-term study strategies?
I would advise you to take the MCAT when you are prepared and feel ready to take it. Most people take it 3-6 months after finishing the pre-reqs. If you do well in your pre-reqs and do not need extensive review, you can take it that summer or fall after your junior year and be done. Just be aware that scores do expire after 3 years at most medical schools, so make sure that your timing will work out for the schools where you want to apply. :luck: to you. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I posted this on the main page but I realized that I may get more/better feedback on this page.

hey all

I know the consensus on this site is that the AAMC CBT 3 is ridiculously easy and that 7-10 are better indicators of how well (or badly) you will do on the real exam. I took CBT 3 and got a 37 (13 PS, 12VR, and 12 BS) but a week later I took a Kaplan diagnostic that they offered at my school and got a 29 (10 PS, 8 VR, and 11BS) so now I'm not really sure where I stand.

How much easier is CBT 3 than the real stuff? And what is the comparison between Kaplan's FLs and the AAMC exams? And how much should I be studying? Because I'm totally cool with a 37 ;-) but that 29 definitely freaked me out. (I'm taking it Aug 14th, so I have time to study, so I'll probably be OK either was - it was more the inconsistency that bothers me since I'm shooting for MD/PhD so I can't really afford to retake - I need to nail it the first time.)

I guess my question is, which score is a better representation of what I would actually get and how seriously should I be studying? Do I just write off the kaplan as a bad day or write off the CBT3 as too easy? Is it a good idea for me to take another practice test soon to see which score was more accurate?

Thanks for the input.

I would advise you to take the MCAT when you are prepared and feel ready to take it. Most people take it 3-6 months after finishing the pre-reqs. If you do well in your pre-reqs and do not need extensive review, you can take it that summer or fall after your junior year and be done. Just be aware that scores do expire after 3 years at most medical schools, so make sure that your timing will work out for the schools where you want to apply. :luck: to you. :)

Message Deleted

As I'm using the Kaplan premier program study guide I am noticing a huge section of review for Anatomy and Physiology. At my university, there is no requirement of Anatomy and Physiology for a Pre-Med Major. I also don't notice it as a requirement for Med Schools. Do I really need to know Anatomy and Physiology for the MCAT or is it just for help on passage-based questions so you're not lost? Any help on this subject would be great. Thanks!

Hello,

I have taken aamc cbt 3, 4, and 10, and got 10ps, 10bs on all the tests. (In about 2 weeks apart from each other; took the cbt 10 three days ago)
Throughout all the practice tests, I felt really good about both ps and bs section finishing them with spare time of 15 minutes.

First question is,
In my point of view, the science passages on cbt 3, 4, and 10 were shorter than the practice passages from ek or TPR. Everybody is talking about verbal passages being long, but I was wondering if the real mcat science passages are much longer than the aamc cbt science passages.

Next question is: I hear people commenting about recent ps and bs section being much harder than the practice aamc test. So, I was wondering would it be a good idea to practice more on hard practice passages from TPR or EK?

My last problem is that although I feel very confident while taking the test, and it always feels like I missed two or three questions, I never seem to get pass 10. I had no problem with science in college, and I feel like I reviewed the material throughly, so could it be problems in my test taking skills?

I heard that test taking skills are very important and can be improved by taking more practice tests. Thus, I was wondering if somebody was stuck on their science scores after reviewing all the material and managed to improve it by taking more practice test and analyzing the tests throughly. What exactly did you do after the test to improve your test taking skills?

Thanks, :laugh:

Hello. I am a junior year engineering student preparing to take the MCAT this upcoming January. Based on the recommendations of fellow students in my program and past takers of the MCAT, I decided to go ahead and take it in January to leave the option of retaking open if necessary.

I purchased the EK Complete (Home) Study Package and am now about half way through it. Unfortunately, I have gotten so caught up with studying the chapters and taking notes on the material presented that quite often I have not made it to the 30-min. diagnostic test at the end of each "lecture." Now I am trying to catch up during the "soft week" they plan for in the 5th week of studies, and some of these test scores are totally demoralizing. I got a 10 on a certain PS test, but then I got the equivalent of a 6 tonight. I took the AAMC 3 CBT Exam 2 weeks ago and scored PS 9 BS 7 VR 10. For a first time, I guess it's OK (but it really isn't). These continued poor performances on diagnostic materials are aggravating for me, to the point where I just can't tolerate it, and I am just a mental wreck. I take my work and my studies very seriously, and when I'm not getting results, I find no one to blame but myself.

Anyways, I am frustrated because half way through this whole mess I am unsure of what direction to go in. Should I continue to move forward and complete all of the material once through before going back, or should I stop and review the material I have covered thus far before proceeding? I never had a problem with the individual science courses during my first two years. In high school I scored 30+ and 1400+ on my ACT and SAT, respectively, not that they are MCAT indicators, but standardized tests were not a problem for me in the past. I am in OCHEM1 right now, and I anticipate not having had a full semester of OCHEM2 will probable hurt me. Next semester is, according to my academic adviser, going to be the most difficult for students in my particular major. I therefore cannot afford to drag the prep. process for the MCAT through 'til April unless there's no way around it.

For some reason these scores are really getting to me and creating the image in my mind that this one exam is going to hold me back from becoming a physician. On top of my classes, working part-time, and volunteering & doing community service, I eek by trying to set aside a few hours a day for MCAT prep. I just don't know what to do...I need to get my act together during the next 2.5 months so I can take a good crack at this exam I just paid $210 to have the privelage to take.

I guess one thing I should say is that every time I am taking a practice something (questions, full length, whatever) I get the feeling that I'm being tricked on a lot of questions. When I get to the end, I realize, yes, contrary to what I thought, a lot of these questions had obscure answers that required me to think in exactly the way AAMC wanted me to think. This is most disconcerting because throughout college, my way of thinking has not failed me until now. It seems AAMC wants to instill a new paradigm of critical thinking as if the MCAT is somehow going to make you a better doctor. I just don't buy that. Anyways, I've got an ochem exam on MOnday to study for while I try and collect myself and take more practice tests and read more materials in the upcoming weeks. I took a "lighter" load this semester, but these classes are just piling on the work. Data Structures, Linear Systems, Physiology, and Orgo...I'm not sure if I should just make MCAT prep. my number 1 priority and take what I can get in these courses as I can afford a hit in my GPA, but IDK... Please help, somebody.

Hello. I am a junior year engineering student preparing to take the MCAT this upcoming January. Based on the recommendations of fellow students in my program and past takers of the MCAT, I decided to go ahead and take it in January to leave the option of retaking open if necessary.

I purchased the EK Complete (Home) Study Package and am now about half way through it. Unfortunately, I have gotten so caught up with studying the chapters and taking notes on the material presented that quite often I have not made it to the 30-min. diagnostic test at the end of each "lecture." Now I am trying to catch up during the "soft week" they plan for in the 5th week of studies, and some of these test scores are totally demoralizing. I got a 10 on a certain PS test, but then I got the equivalent of a 6 tonight. I took the AAMC 3 CBT Exam 2 weeks ago and scored PS 9 BS 7 VR 10. For a first time, I guess it's OK (but it really isn't). These continued poor performances on diagnostic materials are aggravating for me, to the point where I just can't tolerate it, and I am just a mental wreck. I take my work and my studies very seriously, and when I'm not getting results, I find no one to blame but myself.

Anyways, I am frustrated because half way through this whole mess I am unsure of what direction to go in. Should I continue to move forward and complete all of the material once through before going back, or should I stop and review the material I have covered thus far before proceeding? I never had a problem with the individual science courses during my first two years. In high school I scored 30+ and 1400+ on my ACT and SAT, respectively, not that they are MCAT indicators, but standardized tests were not a problem for me in the past. I am in OCHEM1 right now, and I anticipate not having had a full semester of OCHEM2 will probable hurt me. Next semester is, according to my academic adviser, going to be the most difficult for students in my particular major. I therefore cannot afford to drag the prep. process for the MCAT through 'til April unless there's no way around it.

For some reason these scores are really getting to me and creating the image in my mind that this one exam is going to hold me back from becoming a physician. On top of my classes, working part-time, and volunteering & doing community service, I eek by trying to set aside a few hours a day for MCAT prep. I just don't know what to do...I need to get my act together during the next 2.5 months so I can take a good crack at this exam I just paid $210 to have the privelage to take.

I guess one thing I should say is that every time I am taking a practice something (questions, full length, whatever) I get the feeling that I'm being tricked on a lot of questions. When I get to the end, I realize, yes, contrary to what I thought, a lot of these questions had obscure answers that required me to think in exactly the way AAMC wanted me to think. This is most disconcerting because throughout college, my way of thinking has not failed me until now. It seems AAMC wants to instill a new paradigm of critical thinking as if the MCAT is somehow going to make you a better doctor. I just don't buy that. Anyways, I've got an ochem exam on MOnday to study for while I try and collect myself and take more practice tests and read more materials in the upcoming weeks. I took a "lighter" load this semester, but these classes are just piling on the work. Data Structures, Linear Systems, Physiology, and Orgo...I'm not sure if I should just make MCAT prep. my number 1 priority and take what I can get in these courses as I can afford a hit in my GPA, but IDK... Please help, somebody.

your gpa is your #1 priority.
don't take the mcat if you're not ready. i would highly recommend that you finish your pre-reqs first then take a summer to study.
the mcat questions aren't hard like you say, they're tricky. you can't afford to miss easy questions when you take the real thing. this means practice is VITAL for you to get a good score. if you're just reviewing without practice, you're just better off not reviewing at all and taking the mcat another time.

Ok, this may sound like a dumb question, but what is the most efficient way to review practice questions you get wrong? I mean do you just read the explanation, go back and reread that section of the book, or something else?

The way I'm doing it is writing out every question I get wrong, but this seems to be taking me forever! It takes me an hour to answer about 20 questions and then write out explanations for why I got it wrong. Maybe I'm going about it the wrong way?

ETA: I've read the FAQ "how to review a practice test" and it didn't really answer my question.

Ok, this may sound like a dumb question, but what is the most efficient way to review practice questions you get wrong? I mean do you just read the explanation, go back and reread that section of the book, or something else?

The way I'm doing it is writing out every question I get wrong, but this seems to be taking me forever! It takes me an hour to answer about 20 questions and then write out explanations for why I got it wrong. Maybe I'm going about it the wrong way?

ETA: I've read the FAQ "how to review a practice test" and it didn't really answer my question.

I don't know how well this would work for others, but I've been keeping a spreadsheet of basically all the errors I make. That way, I never have to flip back through material to review my mistakes. It's all right there, and I can read through it. Anyway, typing's much easier than writing by hand :).

Anyone got any ideas on how to improve critical thinking skills?
When taking standard test, I get very nervous and then can't think straight.

Question on sign conventions with Work in the First law of thermodynamics.

I've read that it doesn't matter which sign convention you use as long as you're consistent for work, but is there a specific sign convention that is used in the MCAT?

For example, you may find that the magnitude of your answer by using W = PdV is 400, but if the answer choices are both -400 and 400 doesn't the sign convention really matter in this case? Thanks!

Question on sign conventions with Work in the First law of thermodynamics.

I've read that it doesn't matter which sign convention you use as long as you're consistent for work, but is there a specific sign convention that is used in the MCAT?

For example, you may find that the magnitude of your answer by using W = PdV is 400, but if the answer choices are both -400 and 400 doesn't the sign convention really matter in this case? Thanks!

The sign conventions used on the MCAT are the same ones you learn in general physics.

In the case of PdV, the final and initial volumes determine the work done.
if Vf > Vi, W>0
if Vi > Vf, W<0
if Vf = Vi, W=0

In the case of the +400, and -400, the question would not ask:
"how much work is done?"

Instead, they would ask:
"how much work is done by the gas?"

The questions in the science sections of the MCATS are always clear. Ambiguity is reserved for the verbal section. :p

I am taking the MCAT for the second time on Jan. 26. I got a 32 the first time but would really like to get closer to at least a 36. I took a Princeton Review course before taking the test the first time. Since then I have spent a lot of time reviewing old class notes & text books to increase my overall understanding & foundation of the general ideas. I've also taken many practice tests. Recently my scores have not been quite as high as I was hoping they would be by this time.

My main problems seem to be running out of time on the PS & VR (I always have plenty of extra on the BS), and making careless mistakes.

Any last minute tips on how to make sure I'm prepared; or at least feel a bit more confident?

Thanks.

I am taking the MCAT for the second time on Jan. 26. I got a 32 the first time but would really like to get closer to at least a 36. I took a Princeton Review course before taking the test the first time. Since then I have spent a lot of time reviewing old class notes & text books to increase my overall understanding & foundation of the general ideas. I've also taken many practice tests. Recently my scores have not been quite as high as I was hoping they would be by this time.

My main problems seem to be running out of time on the PS & VR (I always have plenty of extra on the BS), and making careless mistakes.

Any last minute tips on how to make sure I'm prepared; or at least feel a bit more confident?

Thanks.
It's tough, huh? I'll be retaking it on the 26th and I'm making careless mistakes as well. My plan is just to remind myself that most of the practice questions I got wrong were from not re-reading the information or making careless mistakes, so hopefully I can catch myself from doing it on the real thing.

My only other suggestion is just to not spend a lot of time on questions you don't really know. Make some type of educated guess, the right answer will be there, but you're not expected to know every question. Save that time to get a question you do know right.

As far as confidence goes.. you made a 32, which is better than most people will ever get on the test. On top of that you've studied even more, so you'll probably do better. Don't worry so much, a 32 is already good enough.