General MCAT study questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shrike

Lanius examinatianus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is unlike the others: it is intended to provide answers to questions that are about how best to study for the MCAT, but that do not relate to a particular subject.

As you'll see, we're going to be treading delicately in the vicinity of the two most commonly-asked questions about MCAT preparation: should I take a prep course and which one. We need to address these, because they are so commonly asked and so important to so many forum participants. But it's difficult to do appropriately, and the reasons for that should be clear: (1) this isn't a commercial forum, and (2) our views are likely to be biased by our personal situations. I (Shrike) teach for The Princeton Review, and have done so for years. QofQuimica teaches for Kaplan, and has done so for years. Others among the experienced posters in this sub-forum also work, or have worked, for test prep companies. Most of us will baised in favor of test prep courses for many test-takers, and I suspect we also tend toward bias in favor of our particular companies. (We probably like what they do, or we would work elsewhere; I won't speak for others but I know this is true of me.) We're going to try very hard not to let those biases affect what they say, but it's almost inevitable that some partisanship will creep in. Take what we say with the appropriate amount of sodium chloride.

And just in case it isn't apparent (particularly to those who haven't watched our posts over the months and years), we are not working on this forum because of our connections to the business. We're not speaking for our employers, but for ourselves. Our companies didn't ask us to do this, don't give us anything for it, don't officially know we're doing it, and as far as I know would rather we didn't. We are doing this because we know you need answers, and we like helping. That's it.

Primary moderator: jmugele. Jmugele graduated with a bachelors in English and chemistry. He's been working in artificial intelligence software for the past 8 years. He scored 40S on the MCAT.

Occasional moderator: Shrike. Shrike is a full-time instructor for The Princeton Review. He has taken the MCAT twice for no good reason, once scoring 38T despite never having seen an organic chemistry book and last taking biology and chemistry before some of you were born. His schooling is in mathematics, physics, economics, and law.

All other team members from each of the other threads may also provide answers in this thread.

Members don't see this ad.

I hope this thread is still running, and even if this post only serves as a bump, everyone should read it because it is a wealth of information.

Unfortunately for me, i was able to get A's in Chemistry and Bio without going to lecture. Now i am starting to study for MCAT, and seeing the error in my ways. I already took the classes and essentially wasted that resource and i do not have time to sit in on them as an observer (take place during lectures i ahve right now). How would you go about learning them "for the first time" for the MCAT? So far i have bought a kaplan book and focused more on studying for the verbal, hoping to get a good start there (I am a sophomore). My plan right now is to take a class (I am still asking around as to which class has better teachers in my area, so i am not sure which yet), buy the Examkrackers series, and listen to the audio osmosis as much as possible. What else could/should i be doing?

Thanks,
Anks

anks106 said:
I hope this thread is still running, and even if this post only serves as a bump, everyone should read it because it is a wealth of information.

Unfortunately for me, i was able to get A's in Chemistry and Bio without going to lecture. Now i am starting to study for MCAT, and seeing the error in my ways. I already took the classes and essentially wasted that resource and i do not have time to sit in on them as an observer (take place during lectures i ahve right now). How would you go about learning them "for the first time" for the MCAT? So far i have bought a kaplan book and focused more on studying for the verbal, hoping to get a good start there (I am a sophomore). My plan right now is to take a class (I am still asking around as to which class has better teachers in my area, so i am not sure which yet), buy the Examkrackers series, and listen to the audio osmosis as much as possible. What else could/should i be doing?

Thanks,
Anks

I had a similar problem because I had been out of class for about 10 years prior to taking the MCAT. I prepared with material from the library. I checked out a biology textbook and read it pretty much cover to cover. I checked out a workbook with physics problems and explanations and did those, and I checked out a general chemistry book. Rather than reading it, I just did the problems at the end of each chapter. If I had issues, I went back to the text. I also got an organic textbook and worked through the first few chapters.

I also found Kaplan's study materials very helpful, but the classes weren't that useful IMO.

anks106:

Yes, all of these threads are still running; they just haven't been very busy lately b/c the Aug. MCAT is over, and the forums server has been having some problems. Here is my answer to your question:

You have obviously learned a very important lesson about the value of taking full advantage of your course resources. I hope you will stay positive and motivated as you review, because it is not too late for you to learn your chemistry and biology material properly. I think that jmugele's suggestion could work well for you if you're motivated to study on your own and you have enough time to cover all the material. (You probably do, since you said that you're only a sophomore.) Other possibilities could be to hire a chemistry tutor or audit the classes at a local community college; many community colleges cater to working students and offer classes at night or on weekends. If you want a tutor, you should call the chemistry department at your university and ask for a list of graduate students who are interested in tutoring. You'll pay a lot less this way than you would going through a test prep company, and since the grad students typically TA the undergrad classes, they will be very familiar with your chemistry coursework. Finally, if you have questions while you're studying, feel free to drop in here and post them. We're happy to help. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a senior biology/pre-med major. I have a great GPA and did lots of extracurricular activities. However, the only thing keeping me away from med school is my MCAT score. I did really poorly, getting a 15 (6PS, 5VR, and 4B) even though I took a prep course over the summer. Yeah that sucks.. :thumbdown: .I know. But, it was my first time and I am thinking to apply to several DO schools, which need scores AT LEAST in the low 20's, as well as retaking April 2006 MCAT. I was wondering whether I could do that and if it (going from such a low MCAT score to a one more reasonable for applying)has been done before???? I feel lost and confused as well as frustrated. PLEASE HELP ME! :scared: Oh yeah and I refuse to accept the Carribean school option. :confused:

ks2005 said:
I am a senior biology/pre-med major. I have a great GPA and did lots of extracurricular activities. However, the only thing keeping me away from med school is my MCAT score. I did really poorly, getting a 15 (6PS, 5VR, and 4B) even though I took a prep course over the summer. Yeah that sucks.. :thumbdown: .I know. But, it was my first time and I am thinking to apply to several DO schools, which need scores AT LEAST in the low 20's, as well as retaking April 2006 MCAT. I was wondering whether I could do that and if it (going from such a low MCAT score to a one more reasonable for applying)has been done before???? I feel lost and confused as well as frustrated. PLEASE HELP ME! :scared: Oh yeah and I refuse to accept the Carribean school option. :confused:

Hi ks2005,

Welcome to our subforum. Please do not create new threads; just post your questions in the appropriate already existing thread.

To answer your question: yes, it is possible for you to raise your score into the 20s. In order to know how to do that, you must first analyze what went wrong the first time that you took the test. First, you should consider whether it was some circumstance beyond your control (such as illness) or some other problem, such as extreme test anxiety. It doesn't sound like you have either of those problems based on what you wrote. Many pre-meds who score poorly on the MCAT have a good understanding of the science concepts, but their critical reading ability is lacking. Others need to work both on improving their understanding of science AND their critical thinking skills. Based on your scores, I'd guess that you fall into the second category, but if you did really well in your science courses during college, maybe you are more in the first category. Either way, you will need to work on your critical thinking skills between now and April. lorelei and Nutmeg wrote some great posts in the VR Explanations thread about how to read critically. You may want to take a look at those. Also, you will need to experiment with different strategies for improving your test-taking ability. Some students find that ExamKrackers VR method is very helpful to them. I found that Kaplan's method worked well for me. Give any strategy you attempt a fair try (i.e., learn and practice it thoroughly) before concluding that it doesn't work. Best of luck to you in April. :)

Thanks for all the advice. ;) I will research these methods over my X-mas break, practive them, and also figure which one works the best. I will also retake Kaplan. When I took it over the summer, I never practiced their strategies but rather practiced the material on my own, my way. I have learned my lesson not to do that. Thanks once again.

QofQuimica said:
Hi ks2005,

Welcome to our subforum. Please do not create new threads; just post your questions in the appropriate already existing thread.

To answer your question: yes, it is possible for you to raise your score into the 20s. In order to know how to do that, you must first analyze what went wrong the first time that you took the test. First, you should consider whether it was some circumstance beyond your control (such as illness) or some other problem, such as extreme test anxiety. It doesn't sound like you have either of those problems based on what you wrote. Many pre-meds who score poorly on the MCAT have a good understanding of the science concepts, but their critical reading ability is lacking. Others need to work both on improving their understanding of science AND their critical thinking skills. Based on your scores, I'd guess that you fall into the second category, but if you did really well in your science courses during college, maybe you are more in the first category. Either way, you will need to work on your critical thinking skills between now and April. lorelei and Nutmeg wrote some great posts in the VR Explanations thread about how to read critically. You may want to take a look at those. Also, you will need to experiment with different strategies for improving your test-taking ability. Some students find that ExamKrackers VR method is very helpful to them. I found that Kaplan's method worked well for me. Give any strategy you attempt a fair try (i.e., learn and practice it thoroughly) before concluding that it doesn't work. Best of luck to you in April. :)

ks2005 said:
Thanks for all the advice. ;) I will research these methods over my X-mas break, practive them, and also figure which one works the best. I will also retake Kaplan. When I took it over the summer, I never practiced their strategies but rather practiced the material on my own, my way. I have learned my lesson not to do that. Thanks once again.
Good luck.

I was wondering how thoroughly I shluld read the biology passages. Sometimes there are details questions that require me to spend more time sorting through the passage than I would have needed to read the thing in the first place. I was also wondering what the predomiant themes are for biological sciences passages

Jacqui3932 said:
I was wondering how thoroughly I shluld read the biology passages. Sometimes there are details questions that require me to spend more time sorting through the passage than I would have needed to read the thing in the first place. I was also wondering what the predomiant themes are for biological sciences passages
Hi Jacqui,

Please don't start new threads in the MCAT subforum; just post your question in the appropriate already existing thread. Check out this post; if you still have questions, let us know. :)

I'm a very slow reader. This goes for anything, whether it be reading passages or reading a science book.

As you can imagine, this hurts me in every section in the MCAT!

I've been trying to read http://www.aldaily.com/ articles to up my reading speed, but my comprehension goes down dramatically.

Am I just expecting results too soon, or are there better ways for me to increase my reading speed?

Members don't see this ad :)
rcd said:
I'm a very slow reader. This goes for anything, whether it be reading passages or reading a science book.

As you can imagine, this hurts me in every section in the MCAT!

I've been trying to read http://www.aldaily.com/ articles to up my reading speed, but my comprehension goes down dramatically.

Am I just expecting results too soon, or are there better ways for me to increase my reading speed?
If lorelei sees this, she may have some suggestions for you. My first thought is to ask you whether you are focusing too much on the details. The thing is, when you are reading MCAT passages, you need to be paying attention to the author's argument. The details are only there to support his argument. You want to know where the details are located in the passage so that you can find them quickly if you get asked a question about them, but always keep in mind that this is an open-book test, and you don't have to memorize them. It's also ok not to get every little detail on your first time through the passage. You won't get asked any questions about most of that stuff anyway, and if you do get asked about some of it, you can always go back and re-read that paragraph more carefully. There are some posts in the VR explanations thread about reading the passages, and Shrike also wrote one in the Physics explanations thread. If you haven't read those yet, you may find them helpful. :)

QofQuimica i noticed in another thread you talked about burn out.
i'm retaking the mcat this summer and i'm investing a lot more time this time around (way more than last summer, which was a minimum amount of studying until august rolled around).

i feel like i'm really giving a good amount of effort, not more or less. in fact, with 8 weeks left i was hoping to push myself a little more in the coming weeks. but...when you spoke of burn out in kind of worried me. i don't want to be exhausted come august.

this is a very subjective question but...is there any way to predict if you are studying too much? or if you are on the path to burnout? i know right now i feel good, but...i also understand that could quickly change.

any tips on how to prevent burnout?

thanks.

Hi,

I'm planning to retake the August MCAT after sitting for the April one this year. Do you suggest that I do a full review first, or just plunge in to specific weaker topics and do the full review later?
how many weeks among these remaining 8 should I, as a retaker, devote to practice, as oppose to reviewing and memorizing?

Thanks.

bananaboat said:
QofQuimica i noticed in another thread you talked about burn out.
i'm retaking the mcat this summer and i'm investing a lot more time this time around (way more than last summer, which was a minimum amount of studying until august rolled around).

i feel like i'm really giving a good amount of effort, not more or less. in fact, with 8 weeks left i was hoping to push myself a little more in the coming weeks. but...when you spoke of burn out in kind of worried me. i don't want to be exhausted come august.

this is a very subjective question but...is there any way to predict if you are studying too much? or if you are on the path to burnout? i know right now i feel good, but...i also understand that could quickly change.

any tips on how to prevent burnout?

thanks.
I suppose it depends somewhat on the person, but in my case, I was studying more and doing worse by the end of July. I was finding it hard to concentrate and I was just exhausted all of the time. I think that the biggest mistake that I made (besides not taking any AAMC practice tests) was not building any rest time into my study schedule. You sound like you're studying the right amount; you said you feel like you're putting in the right amount of effort. If you feel that you are improving and doing well in terms of effort, then you probably are. You might try ramping up a little bit slowly, but don't make every day a hard-core studying day. Give yourself a little time off every so often. :luck:

j-med said:
Hi,

I'm planning to retake the August MCAT after sitting for the April one this year. Do you suggest that I do a full review first, or just plunge in to specific weaker topics and do the full review later?
how many weeks among these remaining 8 should I, as a retaker, devote to practice, as oppose to reviewing and memorizing?

Thanks.
I would recommend that you focus on your weaker areas. You have a limited amount of time between now and test day, and it behooves you to use it wisely. When I was studying for the MCAT, I basically spent no time on the chemistries, because that's what my PhD is in. Instead, I really focused on physics, physiology, and VR, because those were the areas that I needed to work on the most. As soon as you have reviewed your weak areas, you should begin taking practice exams, preferably not ones that you've already taken. Make sure to do them under realistic timed conditions. Practice is essential for improving your test-taking ability; if you have to choose between doing more practice tests and going over some random obscure science facts, do the practice tests. :luck:

I have the same problem that anks has. I essentially have to "relearn" general chemistry and general chemistry only. My only issue with getting a textbook is that I would probably learn extra information not on the exam. Thus, I have resorted to using the Kaplan comprehensive review book. I'm reading the chemistry content and taking painstaking notes. Is this a good method for someone who knows very little about inorganic chem?

Absurdist said:
I have the same problem that anks has. I essentially have to "relearn" general chemistry and general chemistry only. My only issue with getting a textbook is that I would probably learn extra information not on the exam. Thus, I have resorted to using the Kaplan comprehensive review book. I'm reading the chemistry content and taking painstaking notes. Is this a good method for someone who knows very little about inorganic chem?
I had the same problem too, with physics. I did not use a textbook. What I did was go through the Kaplan review notes, the online workshops, the foundation videos, and all of the practice physics tests. (I was using the online review course.) Are you taking practice tests? If not, you need to start soon. That will not only help you with your testing prep, but also reinforce the chem concepts. :luck: to you.

QofQuimica said:
I had the same problem too, with physics. I did not use a textbook. What I did was go through the Kaplan review notes, the online workshops, the foundation videos, and all of the practice physics tests. (I was using the online review course.) Are you taking practice tests? If not, you need to start soon. That will not only help you with your testing prep, but also reinforce the chem concepts. :luck: to you.
Nah, I still have to take a prac. I'll get on that. Thanks!

hi there,

1) what's the best way to review material?

i've noticed some ppl plan on re-reading chapters ....

i have reread some of my weak spots (physical sciences)...but i wasn't intending on rereading bio.

i guess my plan was to just do as much practice as possible in the next month, and when i go over my exam, if i noticed any major issues with a topic, i would specifically reread that.

2) what's the best way to go about full lenghts?

i'm doing aamc 7/8 in my PR class

i have a lot of practice material i could potentially go through (the other aamc tests)

ek 1,2, 3

kaplan 1-12

my plan was to do ALL three sections of the aamc tests... kaplan just the bio and physical (no verbal) of selected tests....and ek hopefully just hte verbal sections for all three tests.

what's your take on doing SECTIONS timed, but not a full day of tests...i feel like if i do a full day of tests i might head for burn out. i rather just do sections timed, but not all in teh same day. nonetheless, AAMC 9 i plan to do Sat August 12th, timed as a full length.

any advice on how to space out the practice in the next month? or what to do in between?

Q i sent you my stats for last year and where i was yesterday on my mock.

I read about a method on SDN (can't really find it anymore) to tackle physical sciences questions. It involved reading the passages really quick (in less than 45 seconds) then spending more time on the questions and going back to the passage as need be. I did a passage tonight in Kaplan QBank for molecular biology, and it was all text. I tried breezing as fast as I could, but there was a bunch of information and not so much charts and diagrams that I found that method ineffective. Should I approach these types of passages without using "the 45seconds method" but more like a verbal passage, or is there another method that works for these?

akinf said:
I read about a method on SDN (can't really find it anymore) to tackle physical sciences questions. It involved reading the passages really quick (in less than 45 seconds) then spending more time on the questions and going back to the passage as need be. I did a passage tonight in Kaplan QBank for molecular biology, and it was all text. I tried breezing as fast as I could, but there was a bunch of information and not so much charts and diagrams that I found that method ineffective. Should I approach these types of passages without using "the 45seconds method" but more like a verbal passage, or is there another method that works for these?

From what I remember of the BS section (I don't remember how I felt about the morning section), there was a lot of reading comprehension on that section, and so the 45 sec method would be ineffective.

Seriously, I know this question has been discussed, but I so need to know.
I can't seem to get a staight answer!

1. Do those who take Calc based physics really understand more, thus scoring higher...or

2. Do they just understand the basis of the formula's better,
and if so: Does that REALLY help you on the MCAT?

3. I've heard Calc based Physics uses formulas trig based Physics does not use, leaving MCAT preperation frustrating since printed material uses trig based only.

4. Will I be less prepard for the MCAT and Med school should I take trig Physics over Calc physics?
(I've read physics is used later in med-school...which one? trig based or calc based?)

5. How many quarters of either Physics is needed for MCAT?
6. How many quarter of Organic is needed for MCAT?

Thank you so much!!
Libbey :luck:

Libbey said:
Seriously, I know this question has been discussed, but I so need to know.
I can't seem to get a staight answer!

1. Do those who take Calc based physics really understand more, thus scoring higher...or

2. Do they just understand the basis of the formula's better,
and if so: Does that REALLY help you on the MCAT?

3. I've heard Calc based Physics uses formulas trig based Physics does not use, leaving MCAT preperation frustrating since printed material uses trig based only.

4. Will I be less prepard for the MCAT and Med school should I take trig Physics over Calc physics?
(I've read physics is used later in med-school...which one? trig based or calc based?)

5. How many quarters of either Physics is needed for MCAT?
6. How many quarter of Organic is needed for MCAT?

Thank you so much!!
Libbey :luck:

I think a calc-physics would be better as you derive formulas and stuff, but theres certaintly no need for it...most of the time you dont have to crunch numbers for the MCAT

dont take the calc-physics if you cant handle the calculus, though, you'll hate yourself the entire semester

Just finished attempt number 2 (Aug. 19). After this MCAT, I am now completely convinced that I prepared for the test in totally the wrong way. The only problem is, I can't quite put my finger on what it is I could be doing differently to increase my score. I struggle most with the PS section and VR always is my best. I am beginning to feel like it may be one of those things where my brain functions in some manner that is conducive to verbal reasoning, but then when I get to the PS section I don't know which end is up.

I definintley could know the content a little better, and I am planning on working on that. I generally understand the concepts, but when it gets to the probelms, I often don't even know where to start. I have found that most commercial products to be either way easier or too difficult than actual MCAT questions. Is there any source of passage based scientific reasoning tests/questions that is similar to the AAMC? I have bought all of their old tests, but I want to save them for practicing FL's.

Also, is there any approach to problem solving that I am missing? I feel like I am not close to where I need to be when it comes to solving problems. Should I practice solving problems out of my old textbooks?

Thanks.

IMO, the best way to study & do well for the PS section is to DO A TON OF PROBLEMS. Reading the section in the Kaplan book or whatever you are using is great, but you have to work through the problems. When you get a problem wrong & you have to work back through it to find your mistake, you learn more than you ever do just studying a few equations.

It has been quite a while since I took the MCAT, but I don't remember the PS section being too knowledge based. If you understand basic concepts & know which equation to apply...you should be fine in that regard. But, most definitely work through the problems.

dctrgreen said:
Just finished attempt number 2 (Aug. 19). After this MCAT, I am now completely convinced that I prepared for the test in totally the wrong way. The only problem is, I can't quite put my finger on what it is I could be doing differently to increase my score. I struggle most with the PS section and VR always is my best. I am beginning to feel like it may be one of those things where my brain functions in some manner that is conducive to verbal reasoning, but then when I get to the PS section I don't know which end is up.

I definintley could know the content a little better, and I am planning on working on that. I generally understand the concepts, but when it gets to the probelms, I often don't even know where to start. I have found that most commercial products to be either way easier or too difficult than actual MCAT questions. Is there any source of passage based scientific reasoning tests/questions that is similar to the AAMC? I have bought all of their old tests, but I want to save them for practicing FL's.

Also, is there any approach to problem solving that I am missing? I feel like I am not close to where I need to be when it comes to solving problems. Should I practice solving problems out of my old textbooks?

Thanks.
I am going to hazard a guess that one thing you need to work on is reading the problems more carefully. For example, just now, you posted this question in the explanations thread instead of in the question thread. (I went ahead and moved it to the right place for you. :)) Paying attention to following directions is not a trivial consideration; even if you get the right answer to the wrong question, your answer will still be counted as wrong. In other words, you must be careful to answer the actual question you are being asked, and not another question.

For PS questions, I find that it is often helpful to start by writing down what I know and/or drawing a figure. This allows you to think about the problem, and often the way to find the solution will become apparent as you take the time to set it up. If you find that you are spending a lot of time trying to come up with a solution, you are not doing the problem correctly. Most MCAT problems can be done without any calculation at all, and even those that do require calculation will not require multiple steps. There just isn't time for you to work out elaborate problems (especially without a calculator!), and the testmaker knows that. It might also help you to work on your rounding and estimation skills. Before you ever solve a problem, think about what kind of answer is reasonable. For example, if you have an object that is falling into a body of water, and you are asked how far down it falls, with the downward direction being negative, you know you need to end up with a negative answer. You also know that certain answers are not reasonable. If you come up with 3000 km as your answer, you can assume that you probably screwed up an order of magnitude somewhere.

VR requires a more abstract kind of thought compared to the science sections. Here, it is very important to pay attention to the arguments put forth by the authors, and not pay so much attention to the details they provide in support of their arguments. This is very different than what you are asked to do in your science classes in college, and that's why so many people find this section to be difficult. But it is important to develop this skill, because most VR questions will ask you to do things (make inferences and deductions, strengthen/weaken, incorporate evidence, etc.) that rely on your understanding of the author's argument. Lorelei wrote some excellent posts on this subject in the VR explanations thread that you may want to look at if you haven't already. Also, when you do practice passages, pay attention to the types of questions that you tend to miss, and focus your studying on improving with those question types.

Hope these ideas help, and best of luck to you. :)

I haven't really been doing this method as a deliberate strategy, but i have noticed that i get more correct answers when i spend at most one minute on the passage, and then focus on the questions. i usually go back to the passage a fair bit...but it's translated to 12's and 13's on the AAMC physical sciences sections with usually about 10-15 minutes to spare.

I think it's a sound strategy..especially on the real thing where you're so nervous, you won't retain enough science info from the passage on the first way through

a question that was answered earlier on this thread was about physics
I can't decide whehter I should take algebra physics or calculus physics
if all of the topics below are covered in MCAT, wouldn't it be a MUST to
take calculus based physics?

(just ignore the CD # and the time at the end)

MCAT Physics - CD1 - The Atom 5:07
MCAT Physics - CD1 - Nuclear Reactions 6:06
MCAT Physics - CD1 - Radioactive Decay and Half-Life 3:37
MCAT Physics - CD1 - Electricity vs. Gravity 10:47
MCAT Physics - CD1 - Electric Circuits I 5:35
MCAT Physics - CD1 - Electric Circuits II 7:19
MCAT Physics - CD1 - Electric Circuits III 5:36
MCAT Physics - CD1 - Kirchoff's Laws 10:43

MCAT Physics - CD2 - Kirchoff's Second Law 5:55
MCAT Physics - CD2 - Characteristics of Waves 9:33
MCAT Physics - CD2 - Interference Of Waves 2:35
MCAT Physics - CD2 - Diffraction 8:43
MCAT Physics - CD2 - Optics 2:19
MCAT Physics - CD2 - Reflection 17:15
MCAT Physics - CD2 - Refraction, Thin Lens 7:46
MCAT Physics - CD2 - Snell's Law 3:33 MCAT Physics - CD3 - The Critical Angle 9:06
MCAT Physics - CD3 - Force and Motion 6:48
MCAT Physics - CD3 - Weight and Units 7:48
MCAT Physics - CD3 - Friction 5:26
MCAT Physics - CD3 - Applying Newton's Laws 4:06
MCAT Physics - CD3 - Trigonometry 3:59
MCAT Physics - CD3 - Projectile Motion 8:38
MCAT Physics - CD3 - Work 8:12
MCAT Physics - CD3 - Circular Motion 4:24

MCAT Physics - CD4 - Circular Motion Problem 2:52
MCAT Physics - CD4 - Work-Energy Theorem 3:59
MCAT Physics - CD4 - Energy and Entropy 4:38
MCAT Physics - CD4 - Momentum 10:37
MCAT Physics - CD4 - Law of Torques 13:08
MCAT Physics - CD4 - Fluids 3:05
MCAT Physics - CD4 - Fluids in Motion 6:05
MCAT Physics - CD4 - Archimedes' Principle 4:58

a question that was answered earlier on this thread was about physics
I can't decide whehter I should take algebra physics or calculus physics
if all of the topics below are covered in MCAT, wouldn't it be a MUST to
take calculus based physics?
No. There is no calculus on the MCAT, so you can take either calc-based or trig-based physics, as long as it covers the essential topics.

I am prepping for the Jan MCAT. I have a load of MCAT preparation materials (bought some, was given some): Kaplan online course (with workshops, lessons-on-demand, practice full-lengths), Kaplan review books (2005), EK Complete Package, EK 1001 series, NOVA physics, TPR review books, the TPR science workbook, and AAMC practice test 4-7. I am hoping to get some suggestions about how to go about studying because my way is not working. The problem is that since I have so much kind of materials that I want to use them all. I think I am pretty ridiculous. So what happens is that I am approaching each topic too slowly because 1) I spend too much time reading about the same topic before I get to the questions and 2) I am so, so slow at finishing the questions because I basically fall asleep over them after the first 5. Please help me out. Did this happen to anyone? I have some specific questions too…

1) Am I supposed to be finishing the Kaplan topicals and the subject tests in a certain timeframe?
2) I scored a 56% on one of the Kaplan topicals. Although one SDN member commented that he usually scored that range (and he end up doing really well on the real thing), I am worried because I didn't understand the questions and passages… as if they weren't in English.
3) As for revising my plan of studying, I was thinking to follow a Kaplan course schedule since I have its online course. I would read the Kaplan review books. And then, for every topic I would do a chapter of problems from either TPR science workbook or the EK books. Then, the Kaplan subject tests and the topicals. What do you think?
4) As for the verbal, what should I do? Lots of SDN members seem to think Kaplan verbal is not so good. So should I do them anyway and supplement with a bunch of EK verbal passages too?
5) I found that the Kaplan science workshops are pretty helpful for the most part. But the verbal workshops… I don't think they are that helpful? What do you think?
6) Is the Kaplan lessons-on-demand helpful? (They are so, so long… I tend to want to fall asleep.)
7) Am I starting too late? All the Kaplan courses for the Jan MCAT have already started…
8) One more thing, when should I start doing the practice exams? Maybe one every week until exam day.

Lots of questions! Sorry! But, I really appreciate the SDN website!!! Thanks for reading!

I am prepping for the Jan MCAT. I have a load of MCAT preparation materials (bought some, was given some): Kaplan online course (with workshops, lessons-on-demand, practice full-lengths), Kaplan review books (2005), EK Complete Package, EK 1001 series, NOVA physics, TPR review books, the TPR science workbook, and AAMC practice test 4-7. I am hoping to get some suggestions about how to go about studying because my way is not working. The problem is that since I have so much kind of materials that I want to use them all. I think I am pretty ridiculous. So what happens is that I am approaching each topic too slowly because 1) I spend too much time reading about the same topic before I get to the questions and 2) I am so, so slow at finishing the questions because I basically fall asleep over them after the first 5. Please help me out. Did this happen to anyone? I have some specific questions too…

1) Am I supposed to be finishing the Kaplan topicals and the subject tests in a certain timeframe?
2) I scored a 56% on one of the Kaplan topicals. Although one SDN member commented that he usually scored that range (and he end up doing really well on the real thing), I am worried because I didn’t understand the questions and passages… as if they weren’t in English.
3) As for revising my plan of studying, I was thinking to follow a Kaplan course schedule since I have its online course. I would read the Kaplan review books. And then, for every topic I would do a chapter of problems from either TPR science workbook or the EK books. Then, the Kaplan subject tests and the topicals. What do you think?
4) As for the verbal, what should I do? Lots of SDN members seem to think Kaplan verbal is not so good. So should I do them anyway and supplement with a bunch of EK verbal passages too?
5) I found that the Kaplan science workshops are pretty helpful for the most part. But the verbal workshops… I don’t think they are that helpful? What do you think?
6) Is the Kaplan lessons-on-demand helpful? (They are so, so long… I tend to want to fall asleep.)
7) Am I starting too late? All the Kaplan courses for the Jan MCAT have already started…
8) One more thing, when should I start doing the practice exams? Maybe one every week until exam day.

Lots of questions! Sorry! But, I really appreciate the SDN website!!! Thanks for reading!
I already answered some of these by PM, but for the rest of them:

1) It's best if you can do them right after the lesson where you covered that material before you move on to the next lesson. But if you can't because of scheduling conflicts, then do them when you can.

2) See the PM. Basically, most people do not score well on them. Focus on the process of arriving at the right answer and not on the percentage you score correctly.

3) Sounds reasonable. Since you need extra help in physics, I would add the appropriate high yield review book sections and Qbank if you have access. See the PM.

4) Yes. There's nothing to study for VR, and practice makes perfect. If you're not at where you want to be for VR, you should keep practicing your mapping and question strategies.

5) I didn't like them either, as I recall. But I'd still suggest at least skimming them in case there are some tips you might find useful.

6) IMHO, no. :oops: I never watched them. But I had access to the TELs, so I didn't need to watch the lessons to go through the lesson book. You probably should watch the physics and VR ones, and any other subjects that are giving you trouble so that you can go through the lesson book with them.

7) Depends on what else you're doing. I think if your schedule is reasonably light and you can put in about 10-20 hours per week to study (depending on your needs), you should have enough time. Most people take 2-3 months to study for the MCAT. I studied for about ten weeks.

8) You might take one now to use as a diagnostic if you haven't already done one. But I'd wait and take most of them toward the end (say, after Thanksgiving) once you've had more time to review. Don't do them more than twice a week max or you might burn out.

Best of luck to you. :)

Of course, if you want to do something that involves physics later on in life the calculus based on is probably the better bet. =\

A very basic question: how do you prepare for the computer based exam? Is there any way to practice taking MCAT on computer without paying $1,500+ to Kaplan/Princeton Review?

A very basic question: how do you prepare for the computer based exam? Is there any way to practice taking MCAT on computer without paying $1,500+ to Kaplan/Princeton Review?

Absolutely. Lots of people here have self-study success stories.

I highly recommend buying the ExamKrackers books along with 101 Passages for Verbal. They are very condensed and to the point. The Audio Osmosis that accompanies the books is very good also because they discuss a little bit more detail and it just helps in general to have someone talk the material back to you.

You'll eventually hit a spot in the EK books which doesn't really make sense without additional detail. In that case you can come here and ask the questions, go to EK's forum, or reference a text book.

To practice, just buy the AAMC tests. For Verbal, use the 101 Passages.

I'm doing a review course by the way, but I think it is very possible to do well without taking an expensive review course. I would still expect to spend a few hundred dollars on prep material though.

Thanks for your posting. I am specifically concerned about taking the computer exam (even more than content), and want to practice it. Any thoughts on this? Thanks again!

Thanks for your posting. I am specifically concerned about taking the computer exam (even more than content), and want to practice it. Any thoughts on this? Thanks again!
It's important that you get a hold of some practice tests on computer and take them under test-like conditions (timing, environment, etc.). The AAMC offers one for free (test 3R) and is currently selling two others, I believe. Kaplan and TPR both have a free test at their sites you can take. (The only thing is that you'll have to put up with them soliciting you to take their courses if you register on their sites to take their tests.)

hello,

I am a freshman right now and i was thinking of taking orgranic chem I and II over the summer and then taking physics I and biochem I (1st semester soph yr) and physics II and anatomy & phys (2nd semester) then have my sophmore summer to practice MCATs and maybe do some summer research during the day and come back home and do MCATs at night and take it in august before my junior year.

I was wondering if that is a good gameplan? I am a bit scared of the MCATS because I am not a good standardized test taker and want the time over the summer when classes arent there to really prac the MCATs. I also EMTing and in other clubs during the school year so it would be hard fitting in MCATs over the semester. I am just worried I might not retain anything by taking orgo over the summer

If taking orgo chem during my freshman summer is a bad idea, what else can i do?

thank u for the advice

hello,

I am a freshman right now and i was thinking of taking orgranic chem I and II over the summer and then taking physics I and biochem I (1st semester soph yr) and physics II and anatomy & phys (2nd semester) then have my sophmore summer to practice MCATs and maybe do some summer research during the day and come back home and do MCATs at night and take it in august before my junior year.

I was wondering if that is a good gameplan? I am a bit scared of the MCATS because I am not a good standardized test taker and want the time over the summer when classes arent there to really prac the MCATs. I also EMTing and in other clubs during the school year so it would be hard fitting in MCATs over the semester. I am just worried I might not retain anything by taking orgo over the summer

If taking orgo chem during my freshman summer is a bad idea, what else can i do?

thank u for the advice

hello,

thank u for the advice

this is a great gameplan :D :D just be careful of your workload; you will need excellent time management to not die of stress :)

if you are worried about retaining information, simply do what students of a new language do: use the info all the time. You can't remember Sn2? Spend a few minutes everyday writing 5 Sn2 reactions. You can't remember the difference between pronation and supination? Look at pictures of this every day. Just repeat it over and over again, then you will have no reason at all to be scared of the MCAT. In fact the MCAT should be scared of you if you are a diligent students and get A's in all those classes.

Good luck!

thank you for your advice

I was thinking of another gameplan.. what if I took orgo chem and physics together my soph year and then I had the summer to prac the MCATs with everything fresh on my memory and can take it august before my junior year. But I am worried because I wouldnt have had physciology or microbiology.

If you could give me your opinon on doing that instead of the other option (in the other post) I would appreciate it

thank you in advance