General Interview Advice from URM Perspective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wolff313

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First and foremost, I applaud and encourage everyone who has decided to puruse this arduous medical school path.Second, congrats to those who have received acceptances and interviews!

My first interview is in November and I am tre nervous. Can anyone who has been accepted or has been previously interviwed, shed some light on their opinions about interviews and their importance to the commitee's decisions.
I have purused SDN and read various opinions. For example, schools that choose to interview like you on "paper" and would like to get to know you. Therefore, your MCAT and GPA should not garner anxiety...well not anymore. Others have stated that interviews lend to "tie breaker" phenomenons, in which you can really gain an acceptance,even if your stats are mediocre..a pseudo saving grace type of thing.

What do all of you think? I would like a URM perspective because we, unfortunately, make up a small pool of applicants and pershaps smaller interviewing. Did you have URM interviewers, did the school provide a minority reception? Do you think your interview helped gain acceptance into the school?

Answer at your will and thanks for reading!

-G.S.W.

Members don't see this ad.

The purpose of the interview can be all of the things that you cited in your post and more. The important thing with any interview is to be honest (don't try to anticipate what you believe the interviewer "wants" to hear) and answer the question that you are asked.

It's a good idea to go over any answers to secondary application questions and your personal statement so that you can discuss some of the things in those two documents if asked. You don't want to go into an interview and forget what YOU wrote on the secondary or in your personal statement.

If you have participated in any research projects, be prepared to fully discuss your role in the project and the overall science behind the project. It isn't enough to say, "I just did the cell cultures and didn't understand the complete project". You need to know as much about the science behind what you did as you can find out. If necessary, ask your PI for a copy of the grant application which would have everything outlined there.

The next thing that you need to do is not be "psyched out" by other interviewees. Some immature interviewees will attempt to destroy your confidence by bragging about how good they are or how much they have accomplished as a means of undermining your confidence. Don't let them succeed in this endeavor. Ignore their comments, congratulate them on being so successful and remind yourself that you wouldn't be there if the admissions office didn't want to get to know you better. You and the rest of the interviewees are on equal footing.

Other things to do would be to make sure that you application packet is complete and fill out any financial aid forms while you are on site. This means taking copies of every piece of correspondence between you and the school and provide any needed copies. You also might want to have copies of your and your parents income tax information if that would be needed for financial aid determinations. In short, be prepared. Keep all of this info in a zippered portfolio along with a packet of tissues in case your nose starts to run from nerves.

Practice sitting, standing and shaking hands with a trusted friend. Look at yourself in the mirror sitting and standing. Make sure that you look comfortable and confident even if you are not. "Act as if ye have faith and to ye, faith will be given" or "fake it until you make it". (One of my favorite lines from The West Wing) Practice makes the nerves go away so practice and practice some more. Get one of your friends to help you.

Remember that you are "on" from the time you arrive on campus. Be courteous to everyone; say "please" and "thank-you". Keep an index card handy so that you can write down everyone's name that assisted you and mention them in the Thank-you note that you will be sending within one week of the interview.

Interview Dont's:
  • Strong perfume or cologne - interviewer might be allergic.
  • New shoes that are ill-fitting - you will be on a walking tour.
  • Being late - do I have to explain this?
  • Poorly fitting suit that has food stains - use a good dry cleaning service.
  • Unpolished shoes, poorly groomed nails.
  • Extreme hairdos - not the time to experiment with colored hair.

If you wear your hair natural, be sure that it is clean and groomed (no blanket lint). Locks can look very professional if they are well-cared for. You don't have to cut your locks or perm your hair if that isn't your style. I would recommend taking out the nose ring though and not wearing long dangly earrings or long garish-colored fake fingernails as you are not going to a night club but going on a professional interview. Also, don't forget to use good table manners at breakfast/lunch; no chewing with mouth open, elbows on table, napkin tucked under chin. If you are starving, eat after the interview but don't complain about the food or spill things on your blouse/shirt.

Think of the interview as the next step in becoming a physician. It's not life-altering and most interviewers are not "out to make you look stupid". In some cases, it will be your interviewer who will "sell you" to the rest of the admissions committee who will not a chance to meet you. Be honest and pleasant and enjoy the experience. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was on the same interview trail 3 years ago so I guess I can list my thoughts:

1) You will usually be the only minority there, so don't fret that, just think of it as a way that you can stick out

2) Your interview is a time for them to find out more you, not their stats. All of my interviews involved long talks about my missionary work overseas and my relief work with during Hurricane Katrina; because everyone has an MCAT and GPA, but it is these other things that set you appart. Now of course if you are at a medical school that values research more than community service than definitely be prepared to describe your research in detail.

3) Before you go on your interview try to find out who is interviewing you. Then google them,and see if they have any publications, and read their papers. Knowing something about the interviewer lets them know that you did your research and it gives them a little chance to talk about themselves.

4) Absolutely scour the medical school's website to see if they have any unique programs that you can ask a question about. It also shows that you did your research.

5) If that school is like Vanderbilt (which grilled me on my MCAT score) then you might need to be prepared to answer why this score is low or that GPA is low. Don't blame your teacher. Own up to your mistakes and show how you improved from there.

Your first interview will always be a little nerve racking but after that you will be a pro!

I cosign with what has been said but just offering my perspective so far...

I am doing a lot of research on the schools that I am interviewing at so that I am able to give an intelligent and specific answer to the question..."why us?". So far I have interviews at my top schools that I am really passionate about attending so this isn't too hard...they have lots of programs/organizations that I am really interested in. With my first interview it was supposed to be closed file but the interviewer did end up asking about my gpa. However for the most part the interviews were just conversations designed to get to know you better. Only one of my interviews was "stressful" and I think he was just trying to see how I respond under stressful situations...cuz he really seemed like he was going to argue or give me a hard time about anything that I said.

I think at the particular school I just interviewed with once you've been offered an interview, they are essentially saying they think you are qualified but would like to get to know you more (they also accept ~70% of those interviewed)...the interviews at this school were closed file and all the interviewers had to read and base their decisions on were what you wrote in your PS and secondary (not even AMCAS activities). So having known that I wasn't AS anxious about my gpa/mcat being a factor. **however I do know that not all schools are like this**

There also were quite a few other urms on my interview day although I know by and large this is not the norm (this particular school is just extremely diverse and no single group constitutes the "majority"). I was not interviewed by URMs but 2 of my 3 interviewers were minorities. Additionally, in between our interviews they did have students from SNMA to talk to and the "director" of one of their URM minority programs introduce himself and speak with us individually which I thought was nice.

First and foremost, I applaud and encourage everyone who has decided to puruse this arduous medical school path.Second, congrats to those who have received acceptances and interviews!

My first interview is in November and I am tre nervous. Can anyone who has been accepted or has been previously interviwed, shed some light on their opinions about interviews and their importance to the commitee's decisions.
I have purused SDN and read various opinions. For example, schools that choose to interview like you on "paper" and would like to get to know you. Therefore, your MCAT and GPA should not garner anxiety...well not anymore. Others have stated that interviews lend to "tie breaker" phenomenons, in which you can really gain an acceptance,even if your stats are mediocre..a pseudo saving grace type of thing.

What do all of you think? I would like a URM perspective because we, unfortunately, make up a small pool of applicants and pershaps smaller interviewing. Did you have URM interviewers, did the school provide a minority reception? Do you think your interview helped gain acceptance into the school?

Answer at your will and thanks for reading!

-G.S.W.

Based on the interviews I have had so far, I can see that a large amount of weight is placed on the interview. Once you get to that point, for the majority of schools, you have been deemed capable enough to succeed in their medical school. You just have to get past the interview hurdle and set yourself apart to some extent. Some interviewers have told me that the interview was just a means of measuring your ability to handle a normal conversation or make sure that you don't have 3 heads, lol, while others have said that this is just a way of getting to know you better, how your brain works and your motivations. Even with your interview in hand, they still evaluate you as a whole (GPA, MCAT) with the admission committee and the interviewer as your advocate.

Most of my interviewers have been URM with a few being caucasian. I don't know if this is true for everyone but for me that was the case. Most schools want you to schedule time to stop by their Diversity/Minority Affairs or Diversity Enhancement Offices to meet the Deans and staff while others will cater to you by inviting you to meet with the offices/student minority groups during times they schedule into your interview day.

Few things I have found to be helpful on interview day:
1.Be nice to everyone (staff, students, faculty). Its just a good thing to do everyday but especially in these instances. Your interview starts once you step foot on campus. If you have a student host, especially.:scared:. Lol, but seriously, be on your best behavior and be yourself.

2.Know the reasons why this school is unique and why you want to go there. Definitely, thoroughly look into the school (website, talk to students and faculty about the bright spots and what the school has to offer). It goes along way especially if you have very thoughtful questions for your interviewer at the end. It shows that you did your homework and are very interested in the school.

3.Review your AMCAS application and your secondary statement for the school. Make sure you can explain and elaborate on everything you did through college even if it wasn't solely your doing (research, etc.).

This time of the year is fun. Enjoy your interviews and learning about the schools. You will meet a lot of great people.:luck:. Good luck!

Thanks mybubbles 14 (hilarious name) and TaylorMDhopeful. I will make sure to chime in once my first interview (november) comes around. Its great to find a forum that is supportive and AND enlightening!!!!

I agree with what was said out of the 3 interviews that I have had on two of them I was the only black person. the first interview noticing that made really uncomfortable. We were sitting at the table for about 20 min before somebody decided to include me. Then I started talking about my research and my Masters etc etc then all of a sudden there was more conversation with me. ( I found that funny) The second interview I was still the only black but the setting was more comfortable so I too was more at ease. The third interview was the best because I was not the only black, and it was a school that I had longed to belong to for awhile. My point is I wish I would have known this was a possibility and I could have prepared myself mentally.

Yes you should research the schools and the way the interviews work...
My first interview were the standard interview questions...the second were based on alot of ethics and the third was all about me...the point is I knew that from going to the interview forum and I practiced making myself versatile so that I could be what the needed for the time frame of the interview.

Relaxing before the interview is important as well. Before each interview I jogged I jog anyway but to do it so early in the morning with my rap music blaring made me hyped and feel as though I am ready for whatever...

Please just be confident the school invited you because they know that you have something to offer them and now it is your time to display it. I will go in my bag and send you postive energy :love::love::love:

accepted 2014

Great advice from everyone on this board. I'm in total agreement. No excuses for a bumpy past, don't allow yourself to be intimidated if you're the only urm there (this was the case for all of my interviews except 1 where I was 1 of 2), be real with them, not rehearsed, etc. All very good points.

What I'll add is this.

Do not get too comfy if you have a minority interviewer. One of my interviewers, a minority, told me during the interview that she sometimes feels that minorities don't feel the need to be professional with her. Even if you identify with the person interviewing you it's important to remember that they are professionals and you are on a professional interview. Then is not the time to get too relaxed and let your guard down.

I know it seems silly and common sense but I never thought about it until this lady mentioned it to me. I don't know if any other urms have experienced this. :oops:

That is true

2014 UCF accepted

Great advice from everyone on this board. I'm in total agreement. No excuses for a bumpy past, don't allow yourself to be intimidated if you're the only urm there (this was the case for all of my interviews except 1 where I was 1 of 2), be real with them, not rehearsed, etc. All very good points.

What I'll add is this.

Do not get too comfy if you have a minority interviewer. One of my interviewers, a minority, told me during the interview that she sometimes feels that minorities don't feel the need to be professional with her. Even if you identify with the person interviewing you it's important to remember that they are professionals and you are on a professional interview. Then is not the time to get too relaxed and let your guard down.

I know it seems silly and common sense but I never thought about it until this lady mentioned it to me. I don't know if any other urms have experienced this. :oops:

I was the only in my interview today and it surprisingly wasn't awkward at all. This group of students was more friendly/inclusive/talkative than my last group of students which was way more diverse. At my last interview you could kind of tell people stuck to talking to whichever person they sat next to originally.

To the OP:

You've already received great advice so I would just like to add a few things:

1) Try as much as you can to "read" your interviewer during the interview. Try to gauge their reactions so you can decide how detailed to be about certain answers, what to emphasize or not, etc. I guess interviewing is supposed to be a pleasant exchange for you and the interviewer so think of how to satisfy both yourself and your interviewer ;)

2) Don't dwell on how the interview went when you're done. Chances are it's just an unnecessary headache to assess your performance if there's nothing you can do about it---- unless you're trying to learn from mistakes you can avoid on later interviews, which would be a good idea. And besides, what you may think was a "not-so-good" interview doesn't necessarily mean rejection or waitlist. I know!

Understand that a lot of your actual interview experience can depend on your interviewer. At least, thats how I feel. You are "you" and will be yourself everywhere you go, but the interviewers change and that's where the "variability" lies. So be confident, try your best, and don't fret. Just let things be.

3) You asked about which schools provide minority receptions-- of the places I've been to so far, Penn and Columbia do. They're usually well-attended cuz URM students at the school really want u to go there if accepted, to create a "community". I think Hopkins does this too but I'll find out soon:) Generally, not too many schools do though.

In either case, just enjoy your interview experience, make the most of it, ask questions, and while you're there try to consider whether it's a good fit for you, etc. There's always second look but preliminary impressions play a role.

Good luck!

I doubt that there is much else I can add, being that the previous posts have provided thorough and insightful responses. However, I will say that it is imperative that you are mentally prepared to deal with this experience. I had always known that we are underrepresented in medicine, but I don't think this idea fully settled with me until I started interviewing. It really sets in when you are in an interview group of 20 and you are the ONLY minority. It can be quite intimidating but I chose not to dwell on that. I see interviews as an opportunity to get whats yours. Everything prior to this can be very random, as is evident when you hear stories of people who appear to be more qualified and are rejected. Therefore once you get an opportunity to attach a personality to your application, you must take utmost advantage. Most importantly relax and be yourself. The fact that you have been researching on SDN and asking these kind of questions speaks well of your preparedness. Goodluck!:)

Again, thank you to ALL that have responded. This has helped me tremendously and hopefully others who are either in the process or will soon embark on this journey. Now all I have to do is figure out the perfect outfit :)

Everything has been covered, but i wanted to add that since you may likely be the only minority, don't let it get you uncomfortable. My first interview I was the only black person and I immediately jumped in and started conversation. Include yourself and others, don't wait to be included. Pre-meds tend to be a socially awkward bunch sometimes :laugh: so don't assume its your color. Theyre probably just as nervous as you are. :thumbup:

This is great info. I know a lot of people are in the process of interviewing, so please leave any general advice once you're done. It's all very helpful, even if you think you are repeating something.

Make an effort to stop by a school's Office of Diversity and talk to someone in the administration, even if it's not scheduled in your interview day. At a lot of places, they can be your allies, and at the very least they can tell you things about the school that specifically pertain to minority affairs.

I was 10 minutes late to my UVA interview, (well, the opening ceremonies), and the ladies there were really nice about it. I recovered with a confident smile.

Got accepted 12 days later. I thought it was funny, but my app is VERY strong.

Interview advice, drink confident juice, have something decent to say about health care reform, and be pro-active. Ask your interviewer(sp?) about themselves, their research, what they think the top 3 most important qualities a successful doctor has, etc. if you have personal looks self-esteem issues, try losing the pounds to look good. Looking good = confident most of the time, and other people can see that about you.

If your APP is strong, you should be fine, and you could talk about the weather for 30 minutes.

But things might change once i get to my Iowa interview, they seem to emphasize the typical interview questions based on their website, and I'm not sure about Vanderbilt.

I was 10 minutes late to my UVA interview, (well, the opening ceremonies), and the ladies there were really nice about it. I recovered with a confident smile.

Got accepted 12 days later. I thought it was funny, but my app is VERY strong.

Interview advice, drink confident juice, have something decent to say about health care reform, and be pro-active. Ask your interviewer(sp?) about themselves, their research, what they think the top 3 most important qualities a successful doctor has, etc. if you have personal looks self-esteem issues, try losing the pounds to look good. Looking good = confident most of the time, and other people can see that about you.

If your APP is strong, you should be fine, and you could talk about the weather for 30 minutes.

But things might change once i get to my Iowa interview, they seem to emphasize the typical interview questions based on their website, and I'm not sure about Vanderbilt.

I was expecting the Iowa interview to be a little awkward and "different" but it really wasn't and I enjoyed it. I was worried because of how it was described but it really wasn't anything close to what I imagined. I like that it's standardized...you won't necessarily get the same questions as everyone else but each interview group asks the same questions for every interview that they conduct. Both of my interviewers were really great and friendly even during the "structured" portion. I would like to cosign on what you said about the confidence though...great advice! I learned that there really isn't a "right" answer to the questions - it's more about being confident in what you're saying and keeping true to yourself. If you do that you should be fine.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user