General Dentist with hospital privileges?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drseplo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here do private practice and have hospital privileges and do dentistry in the OR as well on special needs and pts that need anesthesia? I did a GPR and have been trying to find something like that, looking in Texas if anyone has any ideas. Also would be interested in talking to anyone that does this and/or has an idea as to how to get involved with this?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

get connected to the local hospital and start talking.

one of my friends is an ENT, he actually tried to recruit me because the hospital was looking for a dentist to help manage hospital cases. esp for getting dental 'clearance' prior to surgery etc.

many hospitals are actually looking for dentists, reach out and ask, esp with your GPR experience.

get connected to the local hospital and start talking.

one of my friends is an ENT, he actually tried to recruit me because the hospital was looking for a dentist to help manage hospital cases. esp for getting dental 'clearance' prior to surgery etc.

many hospitals are actually looking for dentists, reach out and ask, esp with your GPR experience.
I hate to sound stupid but when you say ask, who are you reaching out? That's the problem I run into, I just don't know where to start with asking.

Members don't see this ad :)
Really depends on region. I have have had privileges in 2 hospitals and a surgery center. These are in smaller towns. Larger towns / teaching hospitals pretty much all require specialty training and honestly getting the privileges is such a pain in the butt it isn't worth it. If you are in Texas there are some Dental Anesthesiologists that will come into the office. Depending on how "special needs" the child is that is a much better option. Sedadent covers most of the state although they have had a bit of a departure lately with their anesthesiologists. The services are available in Texas and honestly a much better way to go unless you truly have a sick child. Where are you in Texas?

Really depends on region. I have have had privileges in 2 hospitals and a surgery center. These are in smaller towns. Larger towns / teaching hospitals pretty much all require specialty training and honestly getting the privileges is such a pain in the butt it isn't worth it. If you are in Texas there are some Dental Anesthesiologists that will come into the office. Depending on how "special needs" the child is that is a much better option. Sedadent covers most of the state although they have had a bit of a departure lately with their anesthesiologists. The services are available in Texas and honestly a much better way to go unless you truly have a sick child. Where are you in Texas?
What kind of work were you able to do in the hospital and surgery centers?

I am in the Dallas - Fort Worth area for now but have nothing set in stone.

Hi... I am a 61 y.o. gp, gpr trained and have been doing or/hospital cases throughout my career. It can be very rewarding work. There is no money in it but it adds another component to your practice. Many of the patients are special needs or young with early childhood decay. A gpr is a must to get credentialed at most hospitals although it may not be necessary at some independent surgical centers. Try to look for a hospital clinic that treats low income/special needs and get involved-perhaps start by volunteering at the clinic itself. PM me if you like.

Reactions: 1 user
I do exactly what you are describing. Private practice 35 years. Ex GPR director. DS faculty. Hospital attending. Do SPC patients in OR on Fridays.
There are not too many of us. It's a lot of compliance work to get all of these privileges, be prepared.

Reactions: 1 users
I do exactly what you are describing. Private practice 35 years. Ex GPR director. DS faculty. Hospital attending. Do SPC patients in OR on Fridays.
There are not too many of us. It's a lot of compliance work to get all of these privileges, be prepared.
I agree 100%. Hard to get credentialed and comes up every 2 years..I do it on fridays as well. LOL