Gender Roles...Women and Medicine

Algophiliac

Someday...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm sure those numbers are off. No way the average women physician/surgeon is only making 60K if they are fulltime.

i'm sure those numbers are off. No way the average women physician/surgeon is only making 60K if they are fulltime.

They are most likely including resident/fellows in the study.

As for the difference by gender in income possible causes:
-lower hours averaged by women
-Difference in speciality choice between women and men

Also this study says full time, but the official minimum to be a full time worker is quite low by physician standards.

Members don't see this ad :)
They are most likely including resident/fellows in the study.

As for the difference by gender in income possible causes:
-lower hours averaged by women

Also this study says full time, but the official minimum to be a full time worker is quite low by physician standards.
Yah, Probably true

I am just wondering what specialties men/women tend to choose? Is there a significant difference?

I am just wondering what specialties men/women tend to choose? Is there a significant difference?

Men are more likely to go into surgical specialties, which overall tend to have some of the higher compensations. More women choose primary care specialities like, peds and family practice, which tend to have lower compensation.

There is a gender gap within the same specialities though, which I suspect is largely work hour related.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BPC/is_6_32/ai_n25495161/

Men are more likely to go into surgical specialties, which overall tend to have some of the higher compensations. More women choose primary care specialities like, peds and family practice, which tend to have lower compensation.

There is a gender gap within the same specialities though, which I suspect is largely work hour related.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BPC/is_6_32/ai_n25495161/

There have been studies that control for both hours worked and previous experience and still found women were making less than men in most fields (even when their stats were comparable.) I can't site the studies...the info is at home, and I won't be home again....oh, probably christmas.