Gen Chem/biochem textbook recs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stayathomemom

Now with 100% more Stay At Home™!
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want something more than the Kaplan books to review my general chemistry (which I originally took in 2001-2002). I'm thinking of renting a textbook from Amazon. Does anyone have recommendations for gen chem textbooks from classes you took more recently? I'd like to rent a book that has practice problems with the answer key in the back. I'd also like to do this when I review biochem, so hit me up with those too. (I actually kept my ochem text.) Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I want something more than the Kaplan books to review my general chemistry (which I originally took in 2001-2002). I'm thinking of renting a textbook from Amazon. Does anyone have recommendations for gen chem textbooks from classes you took more recently? I'd like to rent a book that has practice problems with the answer key in the back. I'd also like to do this when I review biochem, so hit me up with those too. (I actually kept my ochem text.) Thanks in advance.

Going to be honest, it's most likely going to be overkill for the MCAT. There is so much covered in a college textbook that isn't covered on the MCAT. If you need more detail, TBR > Kaplan. Khan Academy is also a great resource.

Reactions: 1 user
I second the TBR books and the idea that a gen chem textbook would be way more info that you need for the mcat and would just bog you down. My personal experience is that the gen chem stuff on the mcat is basic science and knowing relationships which are expressed in formulas, such as PV=nRT.

Going to be honest, it's most likely going to be overkill for the MCAT. There is so much covered in a college textbook that isn't covered on the MCAT. If you need more detail, TBR > Kaplan. Khan Academy is also a great resource.

I second the TBR books and the idea that a gen chem textbook would be way more info that you need for the mcat and would just bog you down. My personal experience is that the gen chem stuff on the mcat is basic science and knowing relationships which are expressed in formulas, such as PV=nRT.

Thanks for the replies so far. It will be helpful for when I want to dig deeper on a subject. Sometimes I find the review books too brief. IME textbooks do a better job at explaining the slightly harder things. Plus, the review questions! It's easy to say, "Yeah that makes sense" but only when you do review q's do you see gaps in your understanding. Typically texts have a LOT of review q's. Plus if I rent an older edition of a text on amazon, it's only like $15. That's why I'm looking for text.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's why I recommended TBR. It taught me the concepts in a better fashion than any of my college textbooks did. Plus they have 3 phases of practice questions, so there is plenty of practice material. Another source for practice material is the old EK1001 series of books from the mid-2000s.

But if you're adamant on a textbook, you're probably going to want to ask somewhere other than the MCAT forums.

Thanks for the replies so far. It will be helpful for when I want to dig deeper on a subject. Sometimes I find the review books too brief. IME textbooks do a better job at explaining the slightly harder things. Plus, the review questions! It's easy to say, "Yeah that makes sense" but only when you do review q's do you see gaps in your understanding. Typically texts have a LOT of review q's. Plus if I rent an older edition of a text on amazon, it's only like $15. That's why I'm looking for text.

Well, as I was sitting with my preceptor the other day during shadowing she mentioned how the MCAT is a different type of testing than what you are used to in the classroom setting. One thing I've found is that all of the review books even go into way more detail compared to the AAMC material. AAMC seems to want to test if you can hold and understand vast swaths of surface material under tightly timed conditions as opposed to the detailed minutia of a single subject. Ochem is probably the best example, where understanding the mechanisms is relatively unimportant but recognizing the trends is essential. I think the general advice you will get is that if you need to dig into a textbook for deeper understanding, you are probably not doing high yield prep, but I could be wrong. It is true however, that each test taker must prepare in the manner that best suits them. I would simply suggest you do some actual AAMC test questions so you can get a feel for what they are looking for. I was floored when I did TBR gen chem and then did the AAMC stuff and realized TBR went way more in depth than anything AAMC asked.

Well, as I was sitting with my preceptor the other day during shadowing she mentioned how the MCAT is a different type of testing than what you are used to in the classroom setting. One thing I've found is that all of the review books even go into way more detail compared to the AAMC material. AAMC seems to want to test if you can hold and understand vast swaths of surface material under tightly timed conditions as opposed to the detailed minutia of a single subject. Ochem is probably the best example, where understanding the mechanisms is relatively unimportant but recognizing the trends is essential. I think the general advice you will get is that if you need to dig into a textbook for deeper understanding, you are probably not doing high yield prep, but I could be wrong. It is true however, that each test taker must prepare in the manner that best suits them. I would simply suggest you do some actual AAMC test questions so you can get a feel for what they are looking for. I was floored when I did TBR gen chem and then did the AAMC stuff and realized TBR went way more in depth than anything AAMC asked.
I appreciate your response.

I just downloaded and attempted the small sample quiz from the AAMC. I was completely unable to even guess at the answers to C/P, which I anticipated. I took these classes 15 or so years ago. I don't remember anything. Some of it I didn't even recognize. I need to relearn the entire subjects. Physical sciences are my weak point by far.

However, I answered all of the q's on the bio part correctly, because I'm currently taking A&P and we just did the unit on nerves, muscles, action potentials, and energy production, which was the passage's subject. Only because of my thorough understanding of the mechanism of action potentials and ATP production was I able to answer these correctly.

I thought I'd ask for rec's here, because it was relevant to studying for the MCAT (if not a bit different of a need than most would require) and many of you have recently taken these classes. I guess I'll just order something.

I appreciate your response.

I just downloaded and attempted the small sample quiz from the AAMC. I was completely unable to even guess at the answers to C/P, which I anticipated. I took these classes 15 or so years ago. I don't remember anything. Some of it I didn't even recognize. I need to relearn the entire subjects. Physical sciences are my weak point by far.

However, I answered all of the q's on the bio part correctly, because I'm currently taking A&P and we just did the unit on nerves, muscles, action potentials, and energy production, which was the passage's subject. Only because of my thorough understanding of the mechanism of action potentials and ATP production was I able to answer these correctly.

I thought I'd ask for rec's here, because it was relevant to studying for the MCAT (if not a bit different of a need than most would require) and many of you have recently taken these classes. I guess I'll just order something.

Something I would recommend if you are are busy but have some drive time to kill is the MCAT audio osmosis by Exam Krackers. It's super old but the chem/physics stuff hasn't changed and it does a really good job of breaking the material down into manageable chunks that you digest while driving or doing other activities. The are out of print but you can pick them up used on ebay for typically under $20.

Something I would recommend if you are are busy but have some drive time to kill is the MCAT audio osmosis by Exam Krackers. It's super old but the chem/physics stuff hasn't changed and it does a really good job of breaking the material down into manageable chunks that you digest while driving or doing other activities. The are out of print but you can pick them up used on ebay for typically under $20.
Thank you for your suggestion.

Also, FYI, that recording is from the early 2000's and a bit sophomoric (probably even a bit misogynistic) so be ready for some lame humor.
I really wish I knew what you were referring to! :nailbiting: And I should; I turned 18 in 2000. :oldman:

Reactions: 1 user
Hi what's the TBR phases? They're mentioned in the first few pages of the TBR intro but what exactly are they? Is phase one just us doing the questions without timing, phase 2- we should be trying harder and under them conditions etc? I messaged the TBR tech but didn't get a response .. I thought I'd ask here since it was mentioned in your post. Thank you in advance.

That's why I recommended TBR. It taught me the concepts in a better fashion than any of my college textbooks did. Plus they have 3 phases of practice questions, so there is plenty of practice material. Another source for practice material is the old EK1001 series of books from the mid-2000s.

But if you're adamant on a textbook, you're probably going to want to ask somewhere other than the MCAT forums.

Hi what's the TBR phases? They're mentioned in the first few pages of the TBR intro but what exactly are they? Is phase one just us doing the questions without timing, phase 2- we should be trying harder and under them conditions etc? I messaged the TBR tech but didn't get a response .. I thought I'd ask here since it was mentioned in your post. Thank you in advance.
Hey so if you look through the book, they have 3 phases in some of the books. You do the first phase just after the chapter, the second phase later on, and third phase as part of a practice FL experience. That's how they're intended to be used I believe. I just used them as QBanks for the SN2ed style of studying