Gen Anesthesiologist/new grad seeking insight into Austin, Tx- area practices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kyre

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all- I'm graduating 2020 and looking to relocate to Austin for personal reasons. I've come across some postings for groups in Austin on the internet but don't have any actual connections to get insight into which ones are definitely worth looking into or if there are groups that don't post/advertise which I should be trying to pursue and woo. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Heard of like 200s and 5 year partnership tract. If it hasn’t sold out that is

Members don't see this ad :)
Heard of like 200s and 5 year partnership tract. If it hasn’t sold out that is
That group sold out already. Both big groups in Austin sold out so good luck finding a good job in Austin.

Very sad. Austin is a cool town and I'd love to work there, but not that bad.

OP where are you located now??

The job market in all major citys in Texas are now very AMC dominated. DFW, Houston, and now Austin and San Antonio are all USAP dominated.

Where in Austin are you going exactly? Austin city proper or more like round Rock flugerville area?

The best way to know the market is to call a friend of a friend and ask directly. But short of having that. I can tell you Austin is the worst market in Texas. the cost of living is high, the supply is also high, but there are only so many people that need surgery. The whispers of 200 and 5 year partnerships are not far from the truth. The preditory practice of using you for 4.99 years and then throwing you out are also commonly heard around the grapevine. Be careful!

If you can be a little outside of Austin. New Braunfels or perhaps Round rock might offer you better deals.

Reactions: 1 user
What about your neck of the woods? 300 and 7 years? :p.

Worse is always relative. But yes, Austin is def worst in Texas.

Not sure which neck of the woods? Dallas or NYC? but 300 and 7 years? fcuuuuk that noise. might as well go into pain, open up my own ASC and get some F.U. money.

How about north of Austin, like Temple. Any good jobs out there ?

My understanding is that the only thing in Tempe is the Baylor Scott and White hospital.

My understanding is that the only thing in Tempe is the Baylor Scott and White hospital.

Unless you have family or some reason to be in temple. Why not just go to San Antonio? it's the same driving distance and San Antonio is a much bigger city than Temple and the gigs aren't necessarily worse.

Or just avoid the region all together and go to Dallas or Houston :p

Sounds about right for Austin. They have been notorious for low pay with the “we are doing you a favor for letting you live in Austin” attitude. San Antonio is an hour South and is a better place to work, though you still have to work for an AMC, the VA (minimal job options) or UTHSCSA (academics). If you love Austin it’s probably better to work in SA, live on the North side of the SA and go to Austin as often as you’d like.

Reactions: 3 users
Sounds about right for Austin. They have been notorious for low pay with the “we are doing you a favor for letting you live in Austin” attitude. San Antonio is an hour South and is a better place to work, though you still have to work for an AMC, the VA (minimal job options) or UTHSCSA (academics). If you love Austin it’s probably better to work in SA, live on the North side of the SA and go to Austin as often as you’d like.

Are you a resident at UTHSCSA? A buddy of mine told me that the CRNAs there make more than attendings.

Are you a resident at UTHSCSA? A buddy of mine told me that the CRNAs there make more than attendings.

I did residency there, but I’m several years out now. Admittedly, the pay gap between the CRNAS and the faculty is not large. I’m not sure how things are now, but the former chair of anesthesia really catered to the CRNAs at the expense of the residents and faculty. I believe faculty start in the 265k range. The CRNAs are probably around 200k now.

As far as Austin goes, people in my residency class wanted to live there. After talking with both groups no one even considered it. Even by the relatively average standard of jobs in San Antonio, the Austin groups were horrible.

I did residency there, but I’m several years out now. Admittedly, the pay gap between the CRNAS and the faculty is not large. I’m not sure how things are now, but the former chair of anesthesia really catered to the CRNAs at the expense of the residents and faculty. I believe faculty start in the 265k range. The CRNAs are probably around 200k now.

As far as Austin goes, people in my residency class wanted to live there. After talking with both groups no one even considered it. Even by the relatively average standard of jobs in San Antonio, the Austin groups were horrible.

CRNA base is 165k, attending base I believe is closer to 295k

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users