GEMS social thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lefteye770

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know we have a main thread for all-things Georgetown - GEMS ..but i thought it would be cool to have a second one to get to know our application-mates. When I studied abroad last year I got to know a few people on facebook before I left the states and it really helped me out once I arrived in the UK. I see no reason why it wouldn't work now!

So, I'll go first!

I'm Angie. I'm at University of Central Florida in Orlando right now, and I graduate in May. I'm a biology major. I lived near Chantilly/Fairfax before college so i'm fairly associated with the area and can't wait to move back.

Who's next?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Angie, you sent me a copy of the application.

I'm Nicole, and I am applying to the program my application will be sent in within the next few days. Just working on the essays! I am a senior at IUPUI (Indianapolis, IN), but I am from Houston, TX!

Hola Everybody!
My name is Miguel and I am currently a senior at the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg VA. I am from NOVA (Loudoun County- right next to Fairfax, so I really would love to go to G-town to be close to home :), but I am originally from El Salvador, and was adopted when i was 5 years old. I look foward to hopefully getting an interview and eventual acceptance into GEMS, the program seems great for future physicians of the underserved. Anyone else care to introduce themselves?:) Adios

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone Im O'neill. Im a recent graduate of Michigan State University, I double majored in Physiology and Chemistry. My family and I fled Rwanda during the 1994 genocide. I guess you can say that I'm just trying to achieve this thing we call the American dream now. Great idea Angie!

Hola Everybody!
My name is Miguel and I am currently a senior at the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg VA. I am from NOVA (Loudoun County- right next to Fairfax, so I really would love to go to G-town to be close to home :), but I am originally from El Salvador, and was adopted when i was 5 years old. I look foward to hopefully getting an interview and eventual acceptance into GEMS, the program seems great for future physicians of the underserved. Anyone else care to introduce themselves?:) Adios

Fellow Loudoun County person here but I went to Virginia, the University! Wah Hoo Wah ;)(Just can't help myself). Our family farm is in western Loudoun (my rents from Jamaica and the UK). I will likely go back to Fairfax/Loudoun to practice.

I wasn't a GEMS person but I couldn't resist saying hey to a fellow Loudoun County person!

require a verified AMCAS application? how did you guys go about sending it to GEMS? i called AMCAS they told me that someone from GEMS would have to call them and then they would send my verified application? whats the scoop?

ebeyoh--

A verified/validated AMCAS is a pre-requisite to the GEMS program. If you are applying to the program for 2008, you should have had your AMCAS filled out/ verified in Fall of 2007 ( the deadline i think was Nov. 1. 2007.) So, (assuming that you did this) you can print off your verified AMCAS application by going to the AAMC AMCAS website (http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/) logging in on the right side, go the create report option and print it off from a pdf file. Then you should send it in with all of the rest of your GEMS app, 2 LORs, and $130 app fee. I hope that this helps. good luck and God bless.

How is everyone dealing with the wait? Trying to stay sane during this grueling process.:D

oh i know! this wait is very stressful for me. I'm hoping they start making interview invitations as they make decisions and don't wait till the deadline.

oh i know! this wait is very stressful for me. I'm hoping they start making interview invitations as they make decisions and don't wait till the deadline.

so does anyone know if they will send out invitation for interviews before the deadline?

And another thing I heard that the program accepts around 30 students? is that true.

Yeah-- i heard that too. I think that they accepted 37 last year because the applicant pool was fairly large ~ 200. I also e-mailed Mr. Taylor awhile back and he said that there is no limit to how many people they take and that they accept the most qualified applicants ( a typical answer), but that the result is usually about 30 depending on the applicant pool. We all know that this year's applicant pool is very strong though of course, so maybe they may take more! :)

Hello everyone,
Just wanted to let you know that I am available (current GEMS) to help with questions if I am able to answer them...good luck in the application process..patience is key! :)

The wait for all of this is so grueling! I'm passing time by studying for the mcat, yay!

My application was complete on 3/7, I just got the postcard in the mail! Now the wait continues. Does anyone know when they will send out invites for the interviews?

good luck everyone with the waiting!! hope we all hear wonderful news SOON! :)

Hi Guys,
I am new to SDN so bear with me please I am a junior at Western Michigan University (technically senior as of Fall) and am very interesting the GEMS program now I know that we must have a verified AAMC AMCAS application in my case to to apply for '09. Technically in order for the application to be verified do I have to apply to med schools or is it just AAMC AMCAS just veryfying my data?

Thanks guys

In order to be verified, you have to submit your application to at least ONE school. So, yes, you do need to apply.

Good luck! :luck:
Hi Guys,
I am new to SDN so bear with me please I am a junior at Western Michigan University (technically senior as of Fall) and am very interesting the GEMS program now I know that we must have a verified AAMC AMCAS application in my case to to apply for '09. Technically in order for the application to be verified do I have to apply to med schools or is it just AAMC AMCAS just veryfying my data?

Thanks guys