Gasworks Job of the week.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caligas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Every week, I’ll post the job I would take if I wasn’t married and living 2 miles from my frickin’ in-laws. Feel free to add your own.

here’s the first:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Ummm...

Isn't this a USAP job (know around this forum as "worst place to work ever")?

Ummm...

oooh. Didn’t see USAP. They make it sound pretty good though. I’ll read the fine print and do better next week.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Why? $$ is not that high. The days could be very fast-paced, eg 20 GI a day.
Did you read it? Says nothing about GI. Says cataracts, Plastics and GYN. In other words, easy peasy.
I have done cataracts. Yes they are fast, but easy. Like 2 of versed easy and a quick 130 bucks a pop and if you do about 15 that’s about 2K a day for less than 6 hours of work.
I would do it if I was financially independent.

Reactions: 1 users
3 weeks vacation per year????????? WTF???

Ehh, 3 weeks PTO, 2 weeks CME. Isn't this about the same for an Academics job? However, this job pays better, you do all your own cases (No CRNAs!!!!), pays benefits.

Then again, you would have to live in Corpus Christi. :p

Did you read it? Says nothing about GI. Says cataracts, Plastics and GYN. In other words, easy peasy.
I have done cataracts. Yes they are fast, but easy. Like 2 of versed easy and a quick 130 bucks a pop and if you do about 15 that’s about 2K a day for less than 6 hours of work.
I would do it if I was financially independent.

Did you read the ad??? Says GI on Fridays at another site.

This thread would be a lot more entertaining if every week we posted the worst job we could find on Gaswork.

Reactions: 19 users
Might as well go Keiser if going Boulder. My bro is there and really likes it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ehh, 3 weeks PTO, 2 weeks CME. Isn't this about the same for an Academics job? However, this job pays better, you do all your own cases (No CRNAs!!!!), pays benefits.

A total of 5 weeks out of the OR a year sounds like a death sentence, especially if 2 of them have to be CME. I think I got 4 weeks off between 3 vacation and 1 CME as a resident.

Corpus is actually decent. Hot, but decent. But I prefer smaller towns anyway.

Ummm...

I think it would be reasonable to sum up the board's opinion of USAP is that it's the best of the worst?

my academic gig has nearly twice the PTO, with a salary higher than the range posted (plus 12 weeks paid family leave).

I think it would be reasonable to sum up the board's opinion of USAP is that it's the best of the worst?

my academic gig has nearly twice the PTO, with a salary higher than the range posted (plus 12 weeks paid family leave).

My first comment was facetious, as I found it pretty humorous that this "job of the week" is a USAP job. I see how much hate it gets around here.

My second comment was slightly hyperbolic. However, color me impressed by you making >500k doing your own cases with 5 weeks vacation in an academic setting. Is it a low cost of living, no income tax state? Do you get paid for the family leave? That would be very generous. How often are you using the family leave? After all, what good is having a benefit if you never use it

• Haha
My first comment was facetious, as I found it pretty humorous that this "job of the week" is a USAP job. I see how much hate it gets around here.

My second comment was slightly hyperbolic. However, color me impressed by you making >500k doing your own cases with 5 weeks vacation in an academic setting. Is it a low cost of living, no income tax state? Do you get paid for the family leave? That would be very generous. How often are you using the family leave? After all, what good is having a benefit if you never use it

ah, no, not over 500K; I was thinking of the range of the first job posted and probably conflated the two postings. And PTO is more like 8+ weeks if you count vacation, sick time, and meeting time. The family leave is new starting next year, so I don't know how it will roll out. They say "12 weeks," but I don't know if that'll be "total pay" or "base pay."

Anyway, yeah, I wasn't trying to bash USAP; more tongue-in cheek. I've seen the anti-USAP hype on here, hence my comment, but have no direct experience with them. I actually met Richard Dutton, the new-ish CEO at a conference last year. Had a lot of interesting things to say about economies of scale and quality, although I don't know how all that plays out on the ground.

A total of 5 weeks out of the OR a year sounds like a death sentence, especially if 2 of them have to be CME. I think I got 4 weeks off between 3 vacation and 1 CME as a resident.

I always wondered if some jobs allowed you to convert unused CME weeks into PTO. Probably not though. With four school aged kids, I find it difficult to take a lot of vacation. Some people in my group take 2 weeks, while others take 12 weeks. Obviously, those that work more, make more money. I fall somewhere in the middle with 5-6 weeks per year. I don't find my job duties to be too taxing, certainly not a death sentence. I attribute the 100% doing my own cases, no OB, and home call only (2-3 weekdays per month and 1 weekend every 5-6 weekends) to my quality of life at work. Guess it's all relative

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
What’s wrong with Boulder? Someone please educate me. It’s only half hour from Denver.

Nothing wrong with Boulder at all. Been there many times as I have good friends that live in Longmont. Great college town with lots to do and close to major metro city/airport. Cost of living is higher than you might expect though

I’d go to boulder. I’ve seen the ASC job - seemed fine to me. The Hilo, HI job has been on gaswork forever. Hard to imagine but it must be bad news.
While Hilo is technically in Hawaii it's not exactly the part of Hawaii people put at the top of the list when they think of visiting or living in Hawaii. It rains every day year round, the beaches are rocks. It's essentially a rural very low income area (for HI) with all the issues that brings. The closest postcard-Hawaii location is a couple hours away on the other side of the island in Kona. Despite that it's still Hawaii so you can cut the purchasing value of that $350K production-based fuzzy-promise paycheck in half (I shudder to imagine the insurance mix in Hilo) ... and that's after taxes have already cut it nearly in half.

The best I can say for the weather there is that the constant neverending Seattle-ain't-got-nothing-on-Hilo rain is relatively warm, and the wet helps keep the volcanic smog sort of at bay.

Reactions: 6 users
Bad job of the week.

Am i doing this right? :D

I thought this game would be easy, all i had to do was look for gigs in NYC. But the gigs are so bad that people are smart enough to not post them on gasworks. It's literally all recruitment agencies.....

Last edited:
I get 12 weeks of vacation per year. With nonclinical days it ends up being 13 weeks. I'm in Academics.

a stressful peds job without adequate vacation would be a disaster

To be fair, they are q5 trauma call or q3 ob call.

"Must be able to work in a fast paced, independent environment. "

"New Graduates Acceptable: Yes"

From what I hear our CRNA school is supposed to be "decent," and yet some of the new graduates we've had are so bad that I have to watch them like a hawk. I mean, we are talking about people who I wouldn't let solo anesthetize a hamster, and yet there's job postings out there willing to hire new grads and throw them into semi-independent practice immediately. That's nuts.

"Must be able to work in a fast paced, independent environment. "

"New Graduates Acceptable: Yes"

From what I hear our CRNA school is supposed to be "decent," and yet some of the new graduates we've had are so bad that I have to watch them like a hawk. I mean, we are talking about people who I wouldn't let solo anesthetize a hamster, and yet there's job postings out there willing to hire new grads and throw them into semi-independent practice immediately. That's nuts.
So if the CRNAs can make 3-500K, what are the docs making? The same? More? Collaborative practice?

Ding ding ding. We have a winner:

Two large groups in Austin, the other nearby option is Scott and White in Temple. Both AAG and capitol anesthesia (the big 2) have sold out to AMCs. They cover multiple hospitals and surgical centers and you may go between several of them a day in the horrendous Austin traffic. The group I interviewed with offered 225k/year for 7a-5p mon-fri, no nights or weekends or holidays and 6 wks vacay. They did not have a call taking position available.

a stressful peds job without adequate vacation would be a disaster

I'm a generalist. It is a major university hospital in a major city in the midwest. It is academics and we have a fairly strong residency program. Quite fast paced, for this reason some people call it a hybrid of academics and PP. Most cases start 730 am, and regular day til 5 pm. Pay is reasonable for academics. For some reason morale isnt great in the dept and people are leaving. Last few months have been difficult and stressful due to understaffing. Dept has committed 6 new attendings to start in the next few months. But last I checked we are looking for more generalists.

Bottom line, there are work environments of all sorts including those with tons of vacation time. Look and ask around. My place isnt perfect but it works for me. The pay is reasonable for living in a big city with lots to do. For the most part my colleagues are great. I also love to travel and this places give me the time to do so. They also sponsored my visa so that is a huge plus.

Last edited:
OK you guys are tough, I’m down but not out. How about this one, it literally says it’s the best job on gaswork. (Ignore The call frequency)

that job sucks. 'MDA'? supervision. 1:3 call. NO.

If me and my wife were up for moving I'd go for something like this:

what do you think? MD only. 8 weeks vacay. 1 year to partner. Colorado.

Depends on what they pay. The group I interviewed with in CO springs paid not so well.

Ding ding ding. We have a winner:

They can F*** right off with their 225K

I'm a generalist. It is a major university hospital in a major city in the midwest. It is academics and we have a fairly strong residency program. Quite fast paced, for this reason some people call it a hybrid of academics and PP. Most cases start 730 am, and regular day til 5 pm. Pay is reasonable for academics. For some reason morale isnt great in the dept and people are leaving. Last few months have been difficult and stressful due to understaffing. Dept has committed 6 new attendings to start in the next few months. But last I checked we are looking for more generalists.

Bottom line, there are work environments of all sorts including those with tons of vacation time. Look and ask around. My place isnt perfect but it works for me. The pay is reasonable for living in a big city with lots to do. For the most part my colleagues are great. I also love to travel and this places give me the time to do so. They also sponsored my visa so that is a huge plus.

Whats the "reasonable pay for academics"?

That's quite a pay range for someone that is suppose to be 1099 and equal pay from Day 1. Are you familiar with them? Do they come within sniffing distance of the higher of the range?

I did 2 weeks of locums with that group over 20 years ago. They were very busy and treated me fairly. No recent experience.

Wide income ranges are very common in eat what you kill groups. Some people give away all their calls and others pick up as many as possible.

If they did cardiac, I would readily apply for this job. Mountains,hiking, camping, MTN biking, rock climbing, snow, etc. I'm easy to please though.

Wide income ranges are very common in eat what you kill groups. Some people give away all their calls and others pick up as many as possible.

Not mentioned around here much is the “hoarding” of high paying, quick turnover cases by partners leaving newbies with scraps - namely trauma, emergency general surgery, OB (gov insurance), and ortho trauma. A friend of mine left California in under a year bc of this sort of stuff. It’s the dark side of 1099 jobs.

Same group has an ad for docs. But it’s Fresno.

Fresno gets a bad rap but it's not the unequivocally awful place it's advertised to be. Some of the areas surrounding the city itself are nice to live in, and low cost (for California). It's close to Yosemite and Sequoia National Park, and the Sierras aren't that far away. San Francisco is a couple hours away, although granted SF is less fun to visit that it used to be. It has an airport that is big enough to get you places.

On the down side - the air quality is among the worst in the nation. The summers aren't quite Phoenix hot, but they're hot enough. It's not a world class city with world class restaurants, sports, and opera. Nobody thinks you're cool because you live there. Also, it's in California.

If the $ was right I'd pick Fresno over a lot of other BFE locations as a make-hay pay-debt job for a few years.

Sounds like Rush.

Not mentioned around here much is the “hoarding” of high paying, quick turnover cases by partners leaving newbies with scraps - namely trauma, emergency general surgery, OB (gov insurance), and ortho trauma. A friend of mine left California in under a year bc of this sort of stuff. It’s the dark side of 1099 jobs.

That’s why it’s important to rotate call and pick your own cases. And ortho trauma ends up being some of our best lineups because of the blocks.