Are the incomes posted on gasworks exaggerations of reality?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's why medicaid is a disaster. The government thinks we should be making minimum wage. They are heavily a part of the problem with health care
Why should they pay you more though? If you will work for that. I would fire whoever gave you more money if you were willing to work for whatever we gave you.

Members don't see this ad.

Why should they pay you more though? If you will work for that. I would fire whoever gave you more money if you were willing to work for whatever we gave you.

because nobody is willing to work for it. They only take it because required to accept it in order to have access to the commercially insured patients that reimburse more. If the only pay was $6 per unit, the ORs would simply close and nobody would be having surgery.

Reactions: 1 user
For those making 350 or less for full time, call taking positions, what’s the appeal? Why not work 6 months elsewhere for the same money, then vacation all you want? I’m not even talking BFE- there are a handful of medium to large cities around the country where you’ll still get paid somewhere between 1.5 and 2x.
anesthesia has one of the most homogenous compensation systems of any specialty yet its debated about constantly on here.

No matter what you do, where you go, the salary range is usually 350 for employed academic - ranging to - 550k for private practice partner.

I am talking about plus benefits. Thats a pretty narrow range ~200k from bottom to top earners.

Not going to find many jobs out there for >550k salary PLUS generous medical and retirement benefits and 8+weeks vacation.

So if you are making 350-400, you have a pretty good life, and you don't have to be a slave to chasing that extra 100 - 150k (pre tax). Just not worth it.

Keep in mind Ortho guys, Neurosurgeons, GI docs, even some fricking dentists and pain guys making MILLIONS per year. Im not going to go crazy for that extra 100k pre tax out in Montana.

I personally have a different situation but around me (same state as the job posted) AMC full time call positions are 425k plus benefits.
Next door, the academic place is 375k with a lighter schedule.
A large private firm that I know a few on here work for is about 425-450k once "partner" but not a true partnership.

Not a major compensation difference no matter where you go.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
anesthesia has one of the most homogenous compensation systems of any specialty yet its debated about constantly on here.

No matter what you do, where you go, the salary range is usually 350 for employed academic - ranging to - 550k for private practice partner.

I am talking about plus benefits. Thats a pretty narrow range ~200k from bottom to top earners.

Not going to find many jobs out there for >550k salary PLUS generous medical and retirement benefits and 8+weeks vacation.

So if you are making 350-400, you have a pretty good life, and you don't have to be a slave to chasing that extra 100 - 150k (pre tax). Just not worth it.

Keep in mind Ortho guys, Neurosurgeons, GI docs, even some fricking dentists and pain guys making MILLIONS per year. Im not going to go crazy for that extra 100k pre tax out in Montana.

I personally have a different situation but around me (same state as the job posted) AMC full time call positions are 425k plus benefits.
A large private firm that I know a few on here work for is about 425-450k once "partner" but not a true partnership.

that's not true, it's just that the best ones don't go advertising their salary. We don't tell anybody what we make but if you come interview we will hint at the neighborhood of it. It serves no purpose except to put a target on your back if everyone else finds out what you are making.

Reactions: 9 users
Check it.

Attachments

• E7D8D752-76A2-492B-B9C3-E9E122244745.jpeg
    E7D8D752-76A2-492B-B9C3-E9E122244745.jpeg
    202.7 KB · Views: 298

So are you saying the job posted in the OP is a scam? If so, what is gained by the guy posting that gasworks ad? The Gaswork ad claimed making $1 million is entirely within reach. It’s almost too good to be true and if he’s trying to recruit people for some staffing company group that he is forming, posting $1 million as possible income is going to make people suspicious right out of the gate. On the other hand, maybe he’s on to something? There have been a couple people on these forums in recent months posting job openings in Connecticut. The biggest (pseudo)-private practice in the state has a perpetual listing on Gaswork. There seems to be a need for anesthesiologists in the region. The guy in the original ad states he has some hospital work lined up, so it’s not just GI suites and plastic surgery offices. Maybe the guy has stumbled upon a way to take advantage of current market conditions? I’m inclined towards disbelief, but who knows?

I got an email from a recruiter for an academic employed job 700K. 2hrs away from a big city in East Coast. 9 weeks off. Sounds legit.

Reactions: 3 users
because nobody is willing to work for it. They only take it because required to accept it in order to have access to the commercially insured patients that reimburse more. If the only pay was $6 per unit, the ORs would simply close and nobody would be having surgery.
Required by whom? And if you only do high paying cases, ou just get paid more for less work.

Required by whom? And if you only do high paying cases, ou just get paid more for less work.

hospitals require anesthesiologists to accept Medicare/caid. There is no way out of it unless you want to work in a plastic surgery center with cash patients.

Reactions: 2 users
2018 data but there’s a decent range between 10th percentile and 90th percentile.

8BE00011-49E4-44EA-9876-062359522210.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
hospitals require anesthesiologists to accept Medicare/caid. There is no way out of it unless you want to work in a plastic surgery center with cash patients.
That is the only way you can make that system viable, force people to work for slave labor.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is the only way you can make that system viable, force people to work for slave labor.

while $6/unit is just not feasible, I also would not exactly equate with something like slavery. There is no mechanism to force people to work if that is the only pay.

while $6/unit is just not feasible, I also would not exactly equate with something like slavery. There is no mechanism to force people to work if that is the only pay.
If you have to compel someone to take government rates by making it tied to medical privileges.. what do you call that?

If you have to compel someone to take government rates by making it tied to medical privileges.. what do you call that?

if it allows you access to outstanding reimbursement from lots of other patients, I call it a small price to pay. And Medicare/caid are paying us way more than $6/unit.

if it allows you access to outstanding reimbursement from lots of other patients, I call it a small price to pay. And Medicare/caid are paying us way more than $6/unit.
Would you work for all govt rates? And if no, what would you do?

Just wait until the insurance company that gives you the great rates wants to renegotiate and tells you to take it or leave it. You call their bluff and are out of network. Your reimbursement just drops like a rock. Sadly this is the future.

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
It’s called extortion, or theft if you prefer. And by accepting we become complicit in theft from the privately insured who are unknowingly being forced to subsidize government insurance in a form of backdoor taxation they don’t get to vote on.

Reactions: 4 users
It’s called extortion, or theft if you prefer. And by accepting we become complicit in theft from the privately insured who are unknowingly being forced to subsidize government insurance in a form of backdoor taxation they don’t get to vote on.
Or put another way, the government wants us to pay twice for the healthcare we personally provide to others (first taxes then second our work product). Draconian to say the least.

I got an email from a recruiter for an academic employed job 700K. 2hrs away from a big city in East Coast. 9 weeks off. Sounds legit.

These jobs are as legit as the email from the Nigerian prince.

It’s either not a “big city” and 2hrs is far, and/or 1099, and/or brutal schedule .

There is always a catch to these super high salaries advertised. Maybe unadvertised yes. But you are not going to stumble upon a 600k job in a desirable area with a great schedule just by clicking ..

Reactions: 6 users
Interestingly I was going to show the original ad to someone today and the posted income potentials have been ratcheted down significantly and the claims of being able to make a million bucks per year are no longer in the ad. Either someone called him out on it or he forgot to account for his skimming off the money you would earn.

• Haha
I think I got an ad from his hospital practice… they’re offering 300/hr. I think it’s him. Even if not, there’re offers of 300/hr in CT.

I think I got an ad from his hospital practice… they’re offering 300/hr. I think it’s him. Even if not, there’re offers of 300/hr in CT.

My sense is that he is not hospital based. He is more like a staffing company that provides per diem docs and CRNAs to hospitals and other facilities. He’ll take that same assignment you could have found on your own and take a 10% cut for handling the “scheduling.”

Just wait until the insurance company that gives you the great rates wants to renegotiate and tells you to take it or leave it. You call their bluff and are out of network. Your reimbursement just drops like a rock. Sadly this is the future.

i dont see much benefit for insurance to include you in their network. unless hospital also negotiates for you. one of the hospitals nearby, on their labor delivery brochure, they specifically mention that all anesthesiologists there are in network, if the hospital is in network. i dont know if that means the hospital requires the anesthesiology group to be in network, or the hospital helped them negotiate. otherwise, i dont see the point of insurance companies allowing you to be in network. very few people choose their hospital based on if anesthesiologist is in network

I haven't read this entire thread yet, but wanted to comment on the original question as someone who just signed their first contract out of residency and utilized gaswork for 3 leads that ended up in contract offers.

Gaswork absolutely exaggerates pay. Every single group I interviewed with used that number to get you in the door, then gave you canned answers why you aren't worth that much. For me that was easy as it's my first job. For my buddy who's been out in practice 4 years it was because he didn't do a cardiac fellowship, even though the place he's leaving does 3x as many hearts as the place we were looking, and nobody at the new place was cardiac trained either. Every place basically told me that the gaswork figure was what you could make "after a few years". No thanks. Went with a transparent group.

Reactions: 13 users
I haven't read this entire thread yet, but wanted to comment on the original question as someone who just signed their first contract out of residency and utilized gaswork for 3 leads that ended up in contract offers.

Gaswork absolutely exaggerates pay. Every single group I interviewed with used that number to get you in the door, then gave you canned answers why you aren't worth that much. For me that was easy as it's my first job. For my buddy who's been out in practice 4 years it was because he didn't do a cardiac fellowship, even though the place he's leaving does 3x as many hearts as the place we were looking, and nobody at the new place was cardiac trained either. Every place basically told me that the gaswork figure was what you could make "after a few years". No thanks. Went with a transparent group.
Sounds about right.

One more data point supporting the notion that if it's on Gaswork, there's something wrong with it.

Do you mind sharing what numbers they advertised vs what they were actually offering?

Do you mind sharing what numbers they advertised vs what they were actually offering?
For example one job in texas was advertising $425k but in reality offered $355k.

• Haha
On what planet does 7-3 no call make 350.
My last job as a day doc, worked 615 or 7 to 345/430. Made 330. No weekend/ call. That being said, it was a grind and I got to close out the cases or GI that no one else wanted to do. No part of me thinks working a 5 day work week is sustainable for myself and life goals.

Is that the whole deal or are benefits on top of that? I would hope healthcare and the famous Kaiser retirement plan would be added, which is probably worth another 50-75/hr if realized.
No benefits no pension working per diem. Obviously this changes if you become an associate. I interviewed with a SoCal Kaiser last year.

that's not true, it's just that the best ones don't go advertising their salary. We don't tell anybody what we make but if you come interview we will hint at the neighborhood of it. It serves no purpose except to put a target on your back if everyone else finds out what you are making.
So how do you find your partners? How many of y'all are minorities? How many of y'all are women? Just curious.

So how do you find your partners? How many of y'all are minorities? How many of y'all are women? Just curious.

mostly just taking people from the same residency programs everyone else came from so you have first hand evaluations. We are probably about 25% women and 10-15% minority at this point overall although recent hirings probably 50% women and 25% minority. I think our hirings are probably about on par with the overall graduate mix from the programs we have hired from.

Last edited:
Their per diem deal just seems insanely bad, yet some people jump to do it.
I think it’s good for people who want flexibility and predictable hours and are married/ have a significant others’ benefits

Their per diem deal just seems insanely bad, yet some people jump to do it.
For some Kaiser you have to start as per diem before you get on the partnership track to make sure you’re good fit for the group.

For some Kaiser you have to start as per diem before you get on the partnership track to make sure you’re good fit for the group.
True enough, but plenty end up doing it for several years till they become even an associate.

Yea that's not common. We have day docs working 40 hrs 7-3 get 250-275.
Our day docs get 325 plus benefits 7-3 5 days a week. We are hiring if that sounds good to anyone
except for USAP fought and won….

I was browsing gasworks instead of studying for my obgyn shelf and decided to check out jobs in the northeast. I see things posted like this: GasWork.com - Reference #356284

Seemingly a 5 day week for 625k in Connecticut with no call, obviously this looks too good to be true, so is it? How do you tell what's real vs a scam.
Anesthesia pay is increasing.

But this isn’t a great place to ask this question.

Everyone on this forum seems to make $850,000+/year.

Do I sound bitter? Yes, yes I do (assuming it is true….)

• Haha
Our day docs get 325 plus benefits 7-3 5 days a week. We are hiring if that sounds good to anyone

except for USAP fought and won….

The only problem with your job is that it is run by usap
I was very interested in the location out of residency, the tax free state, have a good friend in the area and it seemed very nice. But looking at what happened in reno with napa gives me pause (was also interested in that area before). It was an amazing practice prebuyout but still very good.

I have had very positive experiences with USAP. We are hiring for partner track or day docs right now. We are super picky about partners - it’s more permanent than marriage… so we usually hire partner track people with cardiac fellowships, lots of liver or level one trauma experience and preferably someone one of us have worked with…. The best jobs aren’t on gasworks (like all here will tell you.).
I love USAP… but I understand my experience in my specific group in USAP May not be the same that others have had elsewhere. I’m part of a very good group of outstanding anesthesiologists. We work hard but we are well compensated…. The partner track is long but worth it

I have had very positive experiences with USAP. We are hiring for partner track or day docs right now. We are super picky about partners - it’s more permanent than marriage… so we usually hire partner track people with cardiac fellowships, lots of liver or level one trauma experience and preferably someone one of us have worked with…. The best jobs aren’t on gasworks (like all here will tell you.).
I love USAP… but I understand my experience in my specific group in USAP May not be the same that others have had elsewhere. I’m part of a very good group of outstanding anesthesiologists. We work hard but we are well compensated…. The partner track is long but worth it

How long is long

How many people do you string along for this super-secret partnership track and then let go after 3 years?

How many people do you string along for this super-secret partnership track and then let go after 3 years?

while I get the skepticism, 100% of the people that have the current best jobs in the business took a chance being on a partnership track. I did. It's not all a scam. I realize others have gotten screwed.

while I get the skepticism, 100% of the people that have the current best jobs in the business took a chance being on a partnership track. I did. It's not all a scam. I realize others have gotten screwed.

100% of the people who are multimillionaires after winning the lottery took a chance on a lotto ticket. What is the percentage of people who get scammed? Why is the skepticism towards these partnership tracks so pervasive?

• Haha

My only beef with that approach is that if you need a continuous stream of “partner track” people to subsidize the income of partners, it is not intrinsically a great practice. What happens to the good partner income when you are fully staffed, stable, and everybody is a partner? Our guiding principle is that we don’t eat the lunch of our young. And if our incomes are a little lower for it, then so be it. The time to be picky is at initial hiring, then pay everybody fairly and equally for the work they do. Our new hires are eligible for partnership at 2 years. On very rare occasion, someone will not be offered partnership. But we haven’t taken any money from them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users