Gap year and taking the OAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hotbrotato

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I am going to graduate Spring of 2018 and I'm still undecided as to if I am going to take a gap year before applying to optometry schools. Additionally, I'm currently preparing to take the OAT during Fall 2017. My question is, would optometry schools accept this OAT score if I did decide to take a gap year, or is that too much time between taking the OAT and applying for the 2019 school year?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

OAT scores are valid for two years, so if you took it Fall 2017 it would be good until Fall 2019 (and if youre applying for that cycle it would be 2018) so you can definitely wait if you wanted to do the gap year

OAT scores are valid for two years, so if you took it Fall 2017 it would be good until Fall 2019 (and if youre applying for that cycle it would be 2018) so you can definitely wait if you wanted to do the gap year
Thank you for your help!

Gap year? Do you think I have the chance to get in this round? Still applying... Can't take my OAT again because I am returning to full time for the fall and spring semester! Thanks guys!
Date OptomCAS submitted: 07/01/18
Date verified: 08/08/18
OAT Scores: 290 AA 290 TS (BIO: 310 GC: 320 OC: 300 RC:300 PHYS: 260 QR:270)
Major: Neuroscience
GPA: 3.21 Cumulative 2.96 Science
Extracurricular Activities: 7 years opto tech (30-40 patients a day), Uppercouncil/2 years opto club, shadowed 5 OD's, Opto-Camp at Berkeley, Volunteer experience
I've seen a few posts accepted with that GPA but they all had a higher OAT score. Retake your OAT and it'll increase your chances :)

Reactions: 1 user