Gap Year Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TotalBioNerd

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I wasn't planning on taking a gap year, but I'm currently on 2 waitlists and waiting to hear from a third school with no acceptances. Now I'm planning out what I will do with my gap year, but I have a few options and I don't know what will most improve my application. As a bit of background, I have well over 1000 clinical hours in EMS, hospital (patient care tech), urgent care, and shadowing in a variety of specialties. I did research for 2 years in a lab at my undergraduate university with a few posters and conferences.

I have a job offer as a medical assistant in a dermatology practice. Alternatively, I am interviewing in some biology labs at a university that is a large research institution. Which would be a better option? I have experience with both, but I don't know what would give me better chances at getting an acceptance. I know there are a lot of factors, and I'm happy to answer any questions, but I really don't know what to do here and I have 48 hours to accept the derm position. Thank you to anybody who has input!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm no expert, just a fellow waitlister, but I do think the clinical position is a much better option. I did a lot of research in undergrad and am in a lab right now, and it's hard to explain why I'm doing so much research when I want to be an MD, not a PhD. Esp since you already have research experience with posters etc. I would choose the MA.

Reactions: 1 user