Gap/Extension in Medical Education ERAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ohellothere

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Commonwealth IMG here. I extended my medical school duration by 12 months to allow for:
  1. 6 months of hands-on European clinical electives (credit transfers on transcript to prove it)
  2. 4 months of hands-on US clinical electives (LORs to show for it)
This delayed me commencing final year by one year.

I was informed that any extension/interruptions/gaps will have to mentioned in ERAS.

Will my extension be viewed negatively? I thought it'd be a strength of my application. I'm a bit bummed that my situation is grouped into the same box as medical leaves, withheld graduations, medical school transfers, professionalism issues etc.

Members don't see this ad.

No, this won't be viewed negatively.

The reason for an extension matters. Clearly you did it for the valid purpose of getting further experience. There's also nothing wrong with medical leaves. On the other end of the spectrum, failed courses and professionalism issues are clearly seen negatively.

This is why you are asked to explain why the gap exists, so people like you can demonstrate that it wasn't for reasons that would raise concern about the ability to complete a residency or stay on at a job.