GAMSAT and MCAT scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

duskydreamer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I was just wondering, if someone writes the MCAT and the GAMSAT,

how do you know which score to hand in? as both are on different scales right?

Is there an option where you are allowed to hand in both? that would seem too good to be true eh?

If anyone knows, how it would work..I would appreciate any feedback..

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

If you sit both, you can submit either one without the school knowing that you sat for the other.

Here is a table that compares the scoring system of the two tests based upon the percentile.

24 (mcat = 37.8-43.7th percentile) -> 53-54 (gamsat)
26 (mcat = 50.0-56.1th percentile) -> 55-56 (gamsat)
28 (mcat = 62.4-68.5th percentile) -> 57-58 (gamsat)
29 (mcat = 68.6–74.2th percentile) -> 58.5-59.5 (gamsat)
30 (mcat = 74.3-79.4th percentile) -> 60.5-61.5 (gamsat)
31 (mcat = 79.5–84.0th percentile) -> 61.5-62.5 (gamsat)
32 (mcat = 84.1-87.9th percentile) -> 62.5-63.5 (gamsat)
33 (mcat = 88.0–91.1th percentile) -> 64.0-65.5 (gamsat)
34 (mcat = 91.2-93.6th percentile) -> 65.5-66.5 (gamsat)
35 (mcat = 93.7–95.6th percentile) -> 66.5-67.5 (gamsat)
36 (mcat = 95.7-97.2th percentile) -> 68 (gamsat)
38 (mcat = 98.4-99.0th percentile) -> 74 (gamsat)

Keep in mind that while those scores reflect similar percentiles, the MCAT and GAMSAT are two fairly different tests. The MCAT places much more emphasis on prior background knowledge than the GAMSAT does.

That said, the percentile guide above is a good way to gauge which score you should submit. For instance, if you scored a 30 on the MCAT and a 55 on the GAMSAT, then your MCAT score is better... if you scored a 25 on the MCAT and a 60 on the GAMSAT, then your GAMSAT score is better.

If your scores are both in the same range, then I'd submit the MCAT score (keep in mind that I'm no expert). In my opinion, it's much harder to get a good score on the MCAT than it is to get a good score on the GAMSAT. That's not to say that the GAMSAT is an easy test, but the MCAT requires much more preparation.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks a lot guys! that def helps...il be writing my mcat this sept, and then i guess i can decide based on the score whether i should do the gamsat or not...
thanks again! :)

I took both exams and I personally found the GAMSAT to be considerably easier than the MCAT. The science on the MCAT was far more intense and many questions required more complicated reasoning. In percentile terms I did a lot better on the GAMSAT examination than the MCAT, although my MCAT was actually pretty strong.

I dont know how anyone can say that the GAMSAT was easier to score better in terms of percentile because that would mean that Americans/Canadians are smarter than Australians which I don't believe. The content may be easier on the GAMSAT, but you are still competing against other people since its scaled. Perhaps, American and Canadian undergraduate education better prepares you for the science section since a lot of Australians don't take any hard sciences (chemistry and physics courses) as an undergrad since there aren't any required prerequisite courses.

It's not that the GAMSAT is easier to score better on... the MCAT just requires more preparation.

I just find the GAMSAT easier because I'm better at critical thinking than content memorization. If somebody hated reasoning but loved memorization, they'd probably do a little bit better on the MCAT.

a lot of Australians don't take any hard sciences (chemistry and physics courses) as an undergrad since there aren't any required prerequisite courses.

I don't know about that either.. a lot of Australian students complete degrees in biomedical science (pre-med), chemistry, etc. too prior to sitting the GAMSAT and applying to med.

I sat both exams, I found the MCAT to be much harder than the GAMSAT, that was my experience.

The Mcat was terribly difficult.
I spent 6 months preparing for the Mcat and two weeks for the GAMSAT, though it would be foolish to say there wasn't some overlap. However, I thought the GAMSAT was much easier.
The GAMSAT is meant to be passable by people without a science background, whereas the Mcat requires extensive bio/calc/ochem/phys knowledge.

The Mcat was terribly difficult.
I spent 6 months preparing for the Mcat and two weeks for the GAMSAT, though it would be foolish to say there wasn't some overlap. However, I thought the GAMSAT was much easier.
The GAMSAT is meant to be passable by people without a science background, whereas the Mcat requires extensive bio/calc/ochem/phys knowledge.

Yeah, I think the main point is that the MCAT requires much more background knowledge and, consequently, much more preparation. It's just as hard to get a good score on the GAMSAT, but you don't need to spend a year studying for it. People not only spend months and months preparing for the MCAT, but they also plan their undergrad course schedules to ensure that they get proper preparation.

For instance, I would have scored much better on the MCAT if I'd taken an undergrad physiology class or if I'd paid attention in my undergrad organic classes. On the GAMSAT, that's not so relevant.

Hi guys,
I'm planning to study medical school in Queensland university and they told me to do a Dual degree, they gave me three options, which are:
1- Bachelor of Arts/MBBS
2- Bachelor of Health Science/MBBS
3- Bachelor of Science/MBBS
i'm confused on which one is good for me, because i'm planning to do my specialty in either US or Europe, so I need your help guys to tell me which one is good. And could someone tell me which university is good for Medical school, like Queensland, sydney, melbourne, or adelaide university? And what are their requirements? Thanks

P.S i'm an international student

I don't know about that either.. a lot of Australian students complete degrees in biomedical science (pre-med), chemistry, etc. too prior to sitting the GAMSAT and applying to med.
'

Last edited: