GA-PCOM Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
HooahDOc said:
I assume from your above post that the school budgets around $58,000 / yr for students? I'm specifically looking for what the maximum the school sets is, since I am eligible to take the difference between the value of my HPSP scholarship and whatever the school says we can have.

The maximum the school sets is $56,833 as the maximum amount you can receive in loans.

Members don't see this ad.

gobeavers said:
I was hoping that sombody would answer a question of mine real quick. I was just wondering if there is a list of books that correspond to the required courses, or if we were on our own with finding a book that we like??
If there is a list, could sombody show me where to find it?
Thank you so much guys!! And congrats!!!

We received our book list about a week before school started. They sent a whole list of books that were required and recommended for the whole first year. I would not recommend buying all the books for the whole year because it changes (at least it did for us). They will send this to you in an email to your new PCOM account. Don't expect to get it right now. I do recommend getting various anatomy books for your first term. Each book has different views and different ways of describing things. Some books are more thorough and some are better with pictures.

KYmedic said:
The maximum the school sets is $56,833 as the maximum amount you can receive in loans.

That seems a bit low given the cost of living for the area, but luckily is spot on to what I had anticipated. Thanks for the info.

Members don't see this ad :)
HooahDOc said:
That seems a bit low given the cost of living for the area, but luckily is spot on to what I had anticipated. Thanks for the info.

Yes, we know that is low for the cost of living. One of our students this year actually faught with Philly and the bank and got an increase of I think $6,000 this year. He had to make a descriptive list of all his expenses and turn it into the bank I think. It took him about 2 months of pulling teeth to get them to budge.

SO when do you start receiving information for the school (financial aid, schedules, etc....)

doctorjoy said:
SO when do you start receiving information for the school (financial aid, schedules, etc....)

I got my financial aid packet last week. I was waiting to hear back from my HPSP board before finishing it, which happened today. I'm mailing the check for the big deposit this week too.

They will go over everything you need to know at orientation, so don't sweat it. For now just relax and enjoy your last few months of freedom! You guys are at a big advantage, because you have us to tell you which books are good and which aren't so don't waste time now trying to figure it out. But if you really are gung-ho and just can't wait, you can't go wrong with Netter's Atlas, Rohen and Yakochi's (real pics) Atlas. We used a book called Atlas of Clinical Gross Anatomy which I personally liked b/c it had real pics, drawings and a brief synopsis of Anatomy gone wrong and not just pics like the other two books. But again each style of learning is different so you might want to wait.

BMW-

doctorjoy said:

BMW19 said:
They will go over everything you need to know at orientation, so don't sweat it. For now just relax and enjoy your last few months of freedom! You guys are at a big advantage, because you have us to tell you which books are good and which aren't so don't waste time now trying to figure it out. But if you really are gung-ho and just can't wait, you can't go wrong with Netter's Atlas, Rohen and Yakochi's (real pics) Atlas. We used a book called Atlas of Clinical Gross Anatomy which I personally liked b/c it had real pics, drawings and a brief synopsis of Anatomy gone wrong and not just pics like the other two books. But again each style of learning is different so you might want to wait.

BMW-

I agree with Brian. Also know that if you plan on joining Student Osteopathic Medical Association you will get Netter's Atlas for free.

Hey let's get to know each other a little bit before we get to school. Who is coming with a family? Single? Coming straight from undergraduate? Took sometime off before going? etc, etc... :D

I'll start things off - I'm Lori, 25, single and obviously did not come straight from undergrad. I graduated in Dec 2003 from UNC-CH and have been doing research at Duke in Alzheimers/dementia related diseases and traumatic brain injury since. I did work as a medical assistant in a derm office for 6 months in there and can't wait to get back to patient care! Mice just aren't good company. ;)

I love to hike, snowboard, scuba dive, read, listen to music, and generally hang out with people.

I'll also use this opportunity to also say that I'll be looking for a roommate when I move down to GA in the beginning of August. If anyone is interested let me know! :)

LEt me put mine up since I started with the questions. My name is Liza, 28. I have 4 step children; 3 currently live with me. I won't be able to bring my family with me :eek: the two oldest boys have scholarships at their high school so I am not moving them becuase they are in great programs. I want to find a townhouse or large apartment for my family to visit whenever they like. I am teaching gross anatomy and general biology at a private institution. I like to crochet, read, sing, have lots of fun and ready to kick but in medical school. :laugh:

where's the rest of our class? ;) Oh wait, it's spring break isn't it? D**n work!

I'm Marcus, 30, single. I graduated from the Coast Guard Academy and served as a Coast Guard Officer for six years, before beginning the journey to medicine. I have lived in upstate NY, CT, Portsmouth, VA, Northern VA, worked in Washington,DC, and Hawaii. I am currently working in manufacturing. I am looking forward to moving to GA and starting school.

I enjoy running, snorkeling, scuba diving, hiking, walking, flying, and skiing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is GA-PCOM H/P/F or do they give letter grades?

Spankete87 said:
Is GA-PCOM H/P/F or do they give letter grades?

Hey Spankete,
Grading is the same as in Philly - Numerical grades only. Passing is >70.
At the end of 4th year students are ranked in groups of 5, and that whole group gets the same rank. (i.e. the top 5 are considered #1, next 5 - #2, etc.)

But don't worry about your grades... it's more important that you learn the material for the long run (and for boards, which matters more). As long as u pass, you'll still be Dr. Lori Spankete (or whatever your last name is) ;)

~J

JSlammit said:
Hey Spankete,
Grading is the same as in Philly - Numerical grades only. Passing is >70.
At the end of 4th year students are ranked in groups of 5, and that whole group gets the same rank. (i.e. the top 5 are considered #1, next 5 - #2, etc.)

But don't worry about your grades... it's more important that you learn the material for the long run (and for boards, which matters more). As long as u pass, you'll still be Dr. Lori Spankete (or whatever your last name is) ;)

~J

Thanks for the info! My last name is actually Durham - quite a bit more boring than Spankete.....although maybe I'll change it in med school just to see what my patients do when confronted by an almost Dr. Spankete ;)

doctorjoy said:
Hey let's get to know each other a little bit before we get to school. Who is coming with a family? Single? Coming straight from undergraduate? Took sometime off before going? etc, etc... :D

Hey guys! I am Cheryl. I am 25, single and from Tampa Florida. I went to the University of Central Florida for my undergrad and did my med school prerequites at North Carolina State University. I decided after I graduated that I wanted to go to medical school so I had to go back for two more years to finish all the science courses. Talk about taking the long way! Anyways I love running, biking, weight-training, painting, jewery making. I look foward to meeting you all!

cbertino said:
Hey guys! I am Cheryl. I am 25, single and from Tampa Florida. I went to the University of Central Florida for my undergrad and did my med school prerequites at North Carolina State University. I decided after I graduated that I wanted to go to medical school so I had to go back for two more years to finish all the science courses. Talk about taking the long way! Anyways I love running, biking, weight-training, painting, jewery making. I look foward to meeting you all!

Hey Cheryl,

I'm a first year at GA-PCOM and from Tampa/Orlando as well. Went to USF and UF.

Hope to see you soon. PM me if you have any questions.

I can't belive I'm on SDN on Spring Break...

I can't believe you are either Sam, you are such a Dork! Oh wait i'm on as well. Hmmmmmmmmm, Cancun or SDN? I think we made the right choice Sam. By the way incoming students it is a bad time to ask us any Q, since we all got "Spanketed" on our Biochem/Genetics/Intro to Pharm/welcome to real medical school exam on Friday.

BMW-

samdwi said:
Hey Cheryl,

I'm a first year at GA-PCOM and from Tampa/Orlando as well. Went to USF and UF.

Hope to see you soon. PM me if you have any questions.

I can't belive I'm on SDN on Spring Break...

BMW19 said:
I can't believe you are either Sam, you are such a Dork! Oh wait i'm on as well. Hmmmmmmmmm, Cancun or SDN? I think we made the right choice Sam. By the way incoming students it is a bad time to ask us any Q, since we all got "Spanketed" on our Biochem/Genetics/Intro to Pharm/welcome to real medical school exam on Friday.

BMW-

lol. I definitely should've changed my screen name at some point prior to posting on my future school's thread..... ;)

Hope you all have some fun on your spring break!

~Lori~

BMW19 said:
we all got "Spanketed" on our Biochem/Genetics/Intro to Pharm/welcome to real medical school exam on Friday.

hmph...speak for yourself...j/k. I didn't think it was THAT bad though...then again I didn't even sleep the night before the test. It was literally like trying to take the exam with about 6 Jagerbombs in you...won't be doing that again....unless I did well :laugh:

FYI, the Cancun-ers aren't leaving until tomorrow AM (Thursday)...never to late to join us!

Spankete87 said:
lol. I definitely should've changed my screen name at some point prior to posting on my future school's thread..... ;)

Hope you all have some fun on your spring break!

~Lori~

wow my first time on this thread and I just spent about an hour reading everything in here...well I also got accepted to Ga-PCOM and as of now I am 99% sure that's where I will be going next year (I declined my offer to touro-nevada: my parents live in atlanta now but are moving to arizona in the summer so I must say they supported my decision but I could tell they weren't too happy about it).

oh and Lori I think I interviewed the same day as you (if I'm thinking of the right person)...were you there on the day when there were 6 girls and no guys interviewing?

I had some questions too:
1. I was thinking about renting a single apartment for the first year at least to try and find someone I will be comfortable living with for the next year...BUT I want to live in an apartment complex where a lot of the students live (or at least a good number of them)...I also prefer a gated community and one that is fairly new...any suggestions on where students like to live? also close to the school is important too.

2. yeah I just forgot my other questions...

oh and about me: I'm Nancy, 22 (the youngest so far????), graduating from Emory this semester, and certainly don't mind staying in the ATL for at least 4 more years (I'm very attached to my family though so I might need a little adjusting time and some comforting from you guys :D ).

Well I just mailed off the 2000 dollar deposit today :barf: :wow:

doctorjoy said:
Well I just mailed off the 2000 dollar deposit today :barf: :wow:

I mailed mine last week sometime. They got it, but as usual have yet to cash it. That's fine with me, for now.

As for introductions, I'm Josh. 24 and married. We have no children yet, unless you count our 8-month old Great Dane, "Duke". I sure consider him a child :)

I will be attending GA-PCOM on the Army HPSP, so I will be the guy with no hair who looks like he is about 17; young looks run in the family.

So are most of you renting apartments near campus, or looking to rent homes? My wife and I are trying to get a house, but nobody will hold anything longer than four weeks with a deposit. :rolleyes:

Congrats to everyone who will be a part of the GA-PCOM class of 2010. My name is Tiffany, and I currently attend GA-PCOM. This school has great potential, and I do believe you all will be pleased with your decision. I know everyone is currently looking for housing, and I wanted to give everyone the opportunity to make some extra money. I live at 5375 Sugarloaf Parkway(The address is the name of the apartment complex-unique huh), which is about 3-5 mins from school. This apartment has a free wash and dry service(apt maid), garbage pick up, and free breakfast every morning. The apartments are upscale but affordable and with all of the amenities its worth it. If you are interested in apt living then you should check this place out. If you do decide to live here tell the the leasing agent that Tiffany Sanders referred you and I will split the $500 referral fee with you. It is that easy, if you have any questions please PM me. Once again, congrats and I am eager to meet each and everyone of you in the Fall. :)

Here is some additional information on 5375 Sugarloaf Parkway(www.5375sugarloaf.com).

Interior Features....
Cherry cabinetry in kitchens
Designer countertops and black appliances
Ceramic tile entry ways
Oversized tubs
High speed internet...and many more cool interior features

Community Amenities...
Spectacular clubhouse
Resident business center with conference room
Fully equipped fitness center
Clothes care center
Refreshing swimming pool with leisure desk
Tennis courts and playground
Car care center
Garages and gated access

Once again, if you decide to stay here be sure to mention that Tiffany Sanders referred you and we will split the $500 referral fee. I have loans, and do not work and this apartment complex had no problems with this unlike some in the area. Oh, do not go with ProMove because they do not give you any money for your business. Go to Rent.com or the address above to check this place out, fyi rent.com will only pay you $100 for the referral as opposed to $250 from me Just giving you all the heads up. PM me with any questions.

Best Regards,

Tiffany Sanders
GA-PCOM c/o 2009

Ok so I'm in a bind, having been accepted to both schools. Not sure which way to lean. On the one hand, LECOM - PA has been around for a little while and has established rotations, but their administration is apathetic at best. PCOM -GA has an awesome administration, from what I hear at least. Do they currently have a list of rotation sites that we can see? I know that most schools do, but PCOM - GA being so new I'm not sure. As it is my understanding, our CORE rotations must be limited to what the school allows, but what about elective rotations? I know LECOM allows you to set up elective rotations to any hospital in the nation as long as you do the paperwork yourself. I'm considering radiology or anesthesiology, and would like to put myself in the best position to get there. Thanks for anyone's input!

oshbgosh said:
Ok so I'm in a bind, having been accepted to both schools. Not sure which way to lean. On the one hand, LECOM - PA has been around for a little while and has established rotations, but their administration is apathetic at best. PCOM -GA has an awesome administration, from what I hear at least. Do they currently have a list of rotation sites that we can see? I know that most schools do, but PCOM - GA being so new I'm not sure. As it is my understanding, our CORE rotations must be limited to what the school allows, but what about elective rotations? I know LECOM allows you to set up elective rotations to any hospital in the nation as long as you do the paperwork yourself. I'm considering radiology or anesthesiology, and would like to put myself in the best position to get there. Thanks for anyone's input!

I was faced with the same dilemma- LECOM-PA or GA-PCOM.....And eventually I decided that GA-PCOM was for me. I was nervous at first about the newness of the school, but with the philly campus to back it up, I realized it isn't REALLY a totally new school. I mean the cirriculum is pulled from the philly campus - which has proven to be respectable. In the end, Georgia just felt right to me. It's closer to my family, it's still in the south, and it has a critical need for rural primary care physicians - which is what I want to do. From what I've heard, because of the shortage of doctors in GA, PCOM is really welcomed in the community. Whatever you decide, I don't think you can go wrong. Both places will have their pros and cons, but both will make you into what you want. TO me, GA-PCOM would just get me there in the way that was more to my liking. Good Luck!

HooahDOc said:
Tiffany,

Any idea what Sugarloaf's pet policy is?

5375 Sugarloaf Parkway is pet friendly.

Best,

Tiffany

Nicola1926 said:
5375 Sugarloaf Parkway is pet friendly.

Best,

Tiffany

Thanks. I will try to call them sometime this week. I have seen many, "Pets OK", "We love pets", "Large pets welcome" in ads for apartments and townhomes, only to discover they place a 40lb weight limit and require several hundred dollars per pet as a deposit. One place wanted $500 per pet on top of the normal deposit. :rolleyes:

HooahDOc said:
Thanks. I will try to call them sometime this week. I have seen many, "Pets OK", "We love pets", "Large pets welcome" in ads for apartments and townhomes, only to discover they place a 40lb weight limit and require several hundred dollars per pet as a deposit. One place wanted $500 per pet on top of the normal deposit. :rolleyes:

So much for being pet-friendly, right? LOL

Has anyone heard from PCOM since sending in your 250 deposit

doctorjoy said:

I payed my $250 deposit in the beginning of March and I have recieved a binder of information with the school schedule, a little bit of housing info, my pcom e-mail address, etc. and then a few days ago I got a financial aid packet. Hope this helps!

doctorjoy said:

Oh yeah, and someone called me to see if I had any questions.

Are we required to have a laptop?

cbertino said:
I payed my $250 deposit in the beginning of March and I have recieved a binder of information with the school schedule, a little bit of housing info, my pcom e-mail address, etc. and then a few days ago I got a financial aid packet. Hope this helps!

How long did it take to receive that info. I had to call about my financial aid packet. They told me they forgot to mail it out.

I received the financial aid packet about two to three weeks before I received the binder.

We are not required to have a laptop or to own a computer, as they provide access to computers in the informations commons. We are however required to check our PCOM email address daily as that is the school's primary venue for communication to us. Additionally it is stated in the binder that DSL or other high-speed internet is useful... :)

doctorjoy said:
How long did it take to receive that info. I had to call about my financial aid packet. They told me they forgot to mail it out.

They cashed my check on 3/10 and I received the packet on the 22nd, so about 2 weeks. I just received my financial aid stuff yesterday.

I currently live at Sugar Mill Apartment. It is a very nice apartment complex that is gated but not as upscale as 5375 Sugarloaf. The rent for a 1 bedroom starts at probably 605 to 700 a month. Water is included with your rent and you also can have a brand new Maytag washer and dryer in your apartment without any extra charge. The community is small and quiet. We have a brand new 3000 square foot gym with "state of the art" equipment. We also have a trainer. I know the school has a gym but sometimes I don't want to stay at the school and workout after being there for 8 hours already. Plus, the gym is open 24hr. It is only 5 - 7 minutes away from the school and very close to Target, Publix, Kroger and other shopping areas...I mean close as in walking distance. If you visit there tell them Amy Gessford sent you and I will split the referrel which is 350 I think. Not that I am trying to take away from Tiffany. :)

KYmedic said:
I currently live at Sugar Mill Apartment. It is a very nice apartment complex that is gated but not as upscale as 5375 Sugarloaf. The rent for a 1 bedroom starts at probably 605 to 700 a month. Water is included with your rent and you also can have a brand new Maytag washer and dryer in your apartment without any extra charge. The community is small and quiet. We have a brand new 3000 square foot gym with "state of the art" equipment. We also have a trainer. I know the school has a gym but sometimes I don't want to stay at the school and workout after being there for 8 hours already. Plus, the gym is open 24hr. It is only 5 - 7 minutes away from the school and very close to Target, Publix, Kroger and other shopping areas...I mean close as in walking distance. If you visit there tell them Amy Gessford sent you and I will split the referrel which is 350 I think. Not that I am trying to take away from Tiffany. :)

hey,
are there other students living there too that you know of? also can you give me their full address please...I'm gonna be apartment shopping later and I will definitely stop by to check it out.
thanks for the info, it really helps to know where other people are living and what they think of the place. :)

candyland said:
hey,
are there other students living there too that you know of? also can you give me their full address please...I'm gonna be apartment shopping later and I will definitely stop by to check it out.
thanks for the info, it really helps to know where other people are living and what they think of the place. :)

My roommate and I are the only ones right now. But I think of my apartment complex as a hidden jem among many. But I just might be partial. :)

Address

855 Walther Blvd.
Lawrenceville, GA 30043

KYmedic said:

Do theyhave a web address

So I broke down and decided to create a Facebook profile - anyone else on there? I saw that the LECOM people have created a LECOM group to get to know one another....... Maybe they have a good idea?

Laptops are not required. I have a desktop at home, which works fine for me. I'll get a laptop during second year.

Here is an apartment you DO NOT want to lease at - Sterling Riverside Apts. I and my roommate have had a real problem with flooding and leaks, and they refuse to reimburse for damages etc even though it was their maintenance man who caused the "Great Flood of '06" in our apartment.

So, bottom line, DO NOT RENT AT STERLING RIVERSIDE, even though some other students may tell you otherwise. In fact, I encourage all of you incoming students to stop by the Sterling Leasing Office, and tell them you are there specifically NOT to rent an apartment - and you can tell 'em I said so.

Hi, I just wanted to put in a quick advertisement.
My name is Brent and I'm a current student at GA-PCOM. We looking for another roommate (Guy/ girl - first year or second year) to live with since one of us is living elsewhere next year. The 3 of us living in the house next year will be Brendan, Josh and myself. If location is important to you we live .7 miles from the school, which I believe is the closest out of everyone in the class. Rent for the room available is 300/mo plus 1/4 utilities, which averages to about 100/month/person. Contact me for anymore details at [email protected]
Brent

Spankete87 said:
So I broke down and decided to create a Facebook profile - anyone else on there? I saw that the LECOM people have created a LECOM group to get to know one another....... Maybe they have a good idea?

hey, I'm already on it...look me up: Nancy Bello-Emory University :)

and I don't think you can create a group on facebook BETWEEN schools...groups are specific to each school...but I could be wrong.

Spankete87 said:

Maybe after we all get our email addresses from pcom
:thumbup: :idea: