Navy FY18 DUINS results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vellnueve

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
LIST OF FY18 DUINS SELECTEES
BY DENTAL CORPS TRAINING PROGRAM

SELECTEES FOR TRAINING IN THE
ADVANCED CLINICAL PROGRAM IN EXODONTIA
Three (3) applications for advanced training in Exodontia were reviewed. There was no (0) selection recommended.

SELECTEES FOR RESIDENCY TRAINING IN
COMPREHENSIVE DENTISTRY
Sixteen (16) applications for residency training in Comprehensive Dentistry were reviewed. The following eight (8) applicants are recommended for selection with three (3) alternates:
1. LCDR Sara Chilcutt
2. LT Jennifer Griffeth
3. LT Andrew Knudson (FTOS)
4. LT Christian Lares
5. LT Wei Liu
6. LT Omeed Rezaie Tirabadi
7. LCDR Andrew Silvestri
8. LT David Yi
Alternates:
1. LT David Burr
2. LT Page Collymore
3. LT Steven Rassi

DENTAL RESEARCH
Two (2) applications for residency training in Dental Research were reviewed. The following two (2) applicants are recommended for selection with no (0) alternate:
1. LT Noel Dickens (FTOS)
2. LCDR Kenneth Fan (FTOS)

ENDODONTICS
Eighteen (18) applications for residency training in Endodontics were reviewed. The following five (5) applicants are recommended for selection with three (3) alternates:
1. LT Alyse Fleming
2. OCC Kristofer Harris
3. LT Ryan Hershey
4. LCDR Michael Lewis
5. LT Russell Neal
Alternates:
1. LT Jeffrey Clark
2. LT Brandon Geddes
3. LT Whitney Smith

SELECTEES FOR FELLOWSHIP TRAINING IN
MAXILLOFACIAL PROSTHETICS
Four (4) applications for fellowship training in Maxillofacial Prosthetics were reviewed. The
following two (2) applicants are recommended for selection with no (0) alternate:
1. LCDR Michael Andersen (FTOS)
2. LT Samuel Richards

OPERATIVE AND PREVENTIVE DENTISTRY
Seven (7) applications for residency training in Operative and Preventive Dentistry were
reviewed. The following two (2) applicants are recommended for selection with one (1)
alternate:
1. LT Alice Alcorn (FTOS)
2. LT Arthur Valeri (FTOS)
Alternate:
1. LT Ryan Buechele (FTOS)

ORAL AND MAXILLOFACIAL RADIOLOGY
Four (4) applications for residency training in Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology were reviewed.
The following one (1) applicant is recommended for selection with one (1) alternate:
1. LT Lisa Perrone (FTOS)
Alternate:
1. LT Rebecca McGuire (FTOS)

ORAL AND MAXILLOFACIAL SURGERY
Eighteen (18) applications for residency training in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery were
reviewed. The following six (6) applicants are recommended for selection with one (1) alternate:
1. LT Marilyn Andersen
2. LT William Blackmore
3. ENS Gabriel Grisham
4. ENS Thomas Santacroce
5. ENS Troy VanderGroen
6. ENS Jonathan Volland
Alternate:
1. LT Stephen Moreno

OROFACIAL PAIN
Three (3) applications for residency training in Orofacial Pain were reviewed. The following one
(1) applicant is recommended for selection with no (0) alternate:
1. LT Hillary Reeves

ORTHODONTICS
Twelve (12) applications for residency training in Orthodontics were reviewed. The following one
(1) applicant is recommended for selection with one (1) alternate:
1. LT Gregory Gittleman (FTOS/OFI)
Alternate:
1. LT Ian Kaemmer (FTOS/OFI)

PEDIATRIC DENTISTRY
Seven (7) applications for residency training in Pediatric Dentistry were reviewed. The following
one (1) applicant is recommended for selection with one (1) alternate:
1. LT Ashley Brewington (FTOS)
Alternate:
1. LT Tori Maywalt (FTOS)

PERIODONTICS
Fifteen (15) applications for residency training in Periodontics were reviewed. The following four
(4) applicants are recommended for selection with one (1) alternate:
1. LT Stefano Palazzolo
2. ENS Jyotirmaie Suryadevara (FTOS)
3. LT Christopher Tully
4. LCDR Donavon YapShing
Alternate:
1. LT Bethany Brooks

PROSTHODONTICS
Eleven (11) applications for residency training in Prosthodontics were reviewed. The following
five (5) applicants are recommended for selection with two (2) alternates:
1. ENS Aaron Barto (FTOS)
2. LT Krystal Burns
3. LT Danielle Marquis
4. LCDR Jeffrey Smith
5. LT Tuan Tran
Alternates:
1. LT Denise Chiu
2. ENS Kyu Choi

PROSTHODONTICS AND MAXILLOFACIAL PROSTHETICS
One (1) application for residency training in Prosthodontics and Maxillofacial Prosthetics was
reviewed. There was no (0) selection recommended.

PUBLIC HEALTH
Three (3) applications for residency training in Public Health were reviewed. The following one (1)
applicant is recommended for selection with one (1) alternate:
1. LT Jessica Norris
Alternate:
1. LCDR Angela Roldan-Whitaker

Members don't see this ad.

All the dental students and more junior LTs on the list picked over senior LTs and LCDRs with lots of experience and service to the Navy just goes to show that time in the Navy, rank, performance in the Navy, warfare devices, operational tours, etc. didn't matter much this cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
All the dental students and more junior LTs on the list picked over senior LTs and LCDRs with lots of experience and service to the Navy just goes to show that time in the Navy, rank, performance in the Navy, warfare devices, operational tours, etc. didn't matter much this cycle.

I see a few names of more senior LTs on there that I recognize, only two people that I personally know, though. I don't know most of the LTs so I don't know if they're senior or junior. Most of the ones in my year reached their first decision point last year and got out or already went to training.

OMFS is typically about that ratio of dental students versus active duty dentists. Other than OMFS there's only 3 HPSP and 1 HSCP names on there, one of which is a alternate. There's a decent number of O4s on the list as well.

I'm pretty sure that experience and a good record plays a big role in selection - but I also didn't get mine until the fourth try so that may also play a role.

Are there any stats on how many people apply for AEGDs and GPRs and receive a selection?