Funding Information

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

at230507

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off: I realize there are already threads in which financial aid is mentioned or discussed; however, I still don't feel like there is very much information regarding specific schools. And I figured a new thread couldn't hurt. I also realize that there is some info on ASHA and individual programs' websites..but usually this is a general statement such as "we offer some funding on a competitive basis" that could mean anything.

My main question is simply...are there any programs known for giving good funding for AuD applicants? I know money is a primary concern for many, myself included, and any additional insight or information would be helpful.

For example, I've read on this forum that James Madison offers most of their students at least partial aid..and I'm not sure if I would have found that information otherwise. I just want to make sure there are no programs with good funding that I'm overlooking. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Most of your smaller schools lower on the rankings will offer good funding in order to attract more qualified candidates. I always found the skill set you learn to be more important than the name of the school printed on your degree.

Check some of the schools a few rankings under your current schools you are applying to, you may get more bank for your buck.

I had a 20 hour graduate position and a good chunk of my graduate school paid for at my school.

The other issue is many schools won't know their funding for next year until late February/March due to budgets. With the budget tightening at many schools, it's anyone's guess how much money will be left to dole out.

Your best bet is go for a school a little lower on the rankings and one that has fewer slots (think less than 10 per class). This means those slots are usually almost fully funded. Larger programs with 20+ slots often don't have enough cash to give out to all entering students.

Hope this helped!

Memphis (my school so I know the most about it)- assistantships cover out of state plus half of in-state & fees plus a monthly stipend (10hr/week GA; after assistantship tuition and fees runs $2800 - $3000/semester)

I know UNC did not offer any other than a few grants which did not come close to covering tuition. Pitt only funds phd's. Missouri State and East TN State have some full funding opportunities that I have heard of secondhand, but have no first hand knowledge.

Members don't see this ad :)
I talked to the Head of Audiology at SacramentoENT, and she told me that with a good GPA any AuD student can receive full funding. She mentioned Northwestern gave full rides to 50% of their incoming students. Then when I talked to the AuD resident working there she said none of it was true. It's so hard to know! It would be great if they could all guarantee us full rides.

Thank you for the suggestions and info! It definitely is hard to know..it would be great if funding information was easily accessible, but it makes sense that it isn't. If the schools themselves don't even know what money they will be able to give, it's hard for them to put out any concrete numbers online.

i'm a gallaudet 4th year. my department had a federal training grant (don't know if they still have it) and for those on the grant they got full tuition for 4 years and a yearly stipend. the grant comes with a service requirement after graduation.

in some cohorts the stipend was up to $8000 and only 3 students got it. in other years the stipend was $1000 and all the students got it. i don't think the current 1st years got it at all. i also had to wait until June to find out if i got it (i.e. i had to make a decision before knowing the financials).

in some years when the department had money they otherwise offered tuition waivers for the first year only. i do not think this happens every year either.

basically like others have said, the funding can vary greatly even at the same school. one summer the university gave us all $2000 scholarship for no reason.