Full tuition scholarship at UKentucky vs. UPenn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which one?

• UKentucky --- at least $150,000 cheaper

Votes: 59 49.6%
  • UPenn --- much better

Votes: 60 50.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

drpep

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got off the waitlist at UPenn.

Accepted a University of Kentucky full tuition scholarship + $5000 stipend a year.

No aid from Penn.

What would you do?

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted a University of Kentucky full tuition scholarship + $5000 stipend a year.

No aid from Penn.

What would you do?

Congratulations!

The idea of UPenn is super sexy, but I honestly think I'd take the money. Chances are if you got accepted to UPenn, you can plausibly make AOA at Kentucky, crush Step 1 and go wherever you want for residency (if you work your ass off, needless to say). Congrats again. Best of luck whatever you decide. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with above posters. Your ass kicking abilities that got you a full ride and admission to penn can also get you into w/e residency you want. Follow the $ and enjoy a guilt-free medical education. UK won't hold you back.

thanks for the advice everyone. there is something i dont understand though.

dont you think most people who get into harvard, hopkins, upenn, etc. get full scholarships from their state schools.

if the consensus is to go for the money, how come people still attend?

dont you think most people who get into harvard, hopkins, upenn, etc. get full scholarships from their state schools.

Prestige, location, specific goals for specialty or research projects. Some people have money and don't care what the price tag is on their dream school. Others (the majority of us) are going to be taking out loans for almost everything and need/want to be more fiscally responsible. There are a lot of reasons to choose where you want to go- figure out what your priorities are and run with it. No one's going to be able to give you a deadset answer of what's best for you except for you.

Congrats, btw! :)

Being debt free gives you more freedom than you can imagine.

Unlikely, but hypothetical scenario: You are getting ready to apply to the match your fourth year and it hits you - you f'ing HATE medicine. If you are pushing $150-200k in debt then you probably will stuck with it and be miserable, but with no debt you can do whatever the hell you want. That is freedom.

Last edited:
I would go for the money. Also, I assume your family is in KY and it's always nice to be close to family during the stresses of med school.

i was not offered a full scholarship at my state school, but i was at upenn. also, some people get a lot of need-based financial aid at harvard, hopkins, etc. so that the difference between these schools and the state schools isnt that big.

I would choose the best quality available to me under any circumstances. Which in this case is penn. you will have lots of opportunity from there to make up $$ and chances are you will get some amazing opportunities out of it. Ivy league schools have a lot of need based money so it wont be that bad from a cash perspective.

I am slightly biased (went to an ivy for grad school) and really enjoyed it.

i'm waitlisted at u kentucky but i'm in the out-of-state list where I think you're from the in-state pool (which means we're on different lists. If you choose penn it would not affect my chances).

well just my 2 cents and good luck

If I were in your situation, I would call the financial aid office at Penn and tell them about your other offer. Ask them if they can offer you anything. Also ask them how their recent 225 million donation will affect your aid in future years. Penn is awesome and will give you a lot of opportunities (speaking as an alumn).

Excellent post from an Attending in another thread on essentially the same topic:

Let's say you were considering purchasing one of two houses: one costs 150K and another costs 300K. Under normal circumstances you would want to obtain something tangible for selecting the more expensive home: more space, better construction, better location, etc.

In your current dilemma you are essentially proposing to pay a great deal of money for something of no predictable, tangible benefit. I think part of this stems from the so-called pain of paying, a pain we are able to psychologically avoid by taking out loans (essentially paying for med school on credit).

The pain will come, eventually. I feel it now each month when I direct money towards debt rather than retirement savings, a 529, or a Porsche.

Perhaps we also overly romanticize our future at the top ranked school. The simple truth is that every M1 in the country starts out the same way: with a huge pile of basic, standardized medical knowledge to digest and the same Step 1 to conquer. The name on your med school diploma is going to be pretty far down on the list of things that influences your career. In the end you are going to dictate your success by how smart you are, how hard you work, and how well you can play the game.

Excellent post from an Attending in another thread on essentially the same topic:

Good post :thumbup:

Take the $. Imagine all the money you'll save in the long run, especially after interest.

I'm graduating undergrad debt-free and definitely wouldn't trade it for loans from a more expensive school. It's so nice not to have any payments to worry about.

UK will not hinder you. Obviously Penn has more opportunities, but I think what's more important is that each school will have enough to keep you as busy as you'd like to be.

Because my guess is that most people saying go with the money don't have the same choices.

No aid from Penn.

What would you do?

full tuition plus living expenses? go with it. i'm not one to completely discount the prestige factor. if we were talking, 10, 15 mayyyyyybe even 20K/yr, but you REALLY preferred Penn, i'd say go for it, it might be worth it to you. however, sounds like we're talking more on the order of 50-60K PER YEAR! presumably kentucky offered you this scholarship because you're one of the most awesome people they accepted. if you could be at the top of your class, AOA, etc, you should still have plenty of opportunities, including the opportunity to not have loan debt. think about it.

In my OPINION:

Having UPENN on a resume will set you up (more than UK) for a solid residency that will land you top $$ jobs at top notch department. While you will be taking out loans, don't pretend this loan isn't something you can't pay off within a few years. After practicing for a couple of years, I'd find it hard to believe an attending trying to pay off loans hasn't paid it off yet unless you're going into primary care in which case the Penn name won't help as much. An Orthopod/Radiologist/ENT/Derm/RadOnc/etc banking >250-300K/year after residency can probably pay that off in <5 years. You can also get to these places w/o having gone to Penn but it'll be a bit tougher to get into an elite program. If your potential aspirations are to climb the administrative ladder, the Penn name is even more important.

You have 1 opportunity to get that Penn name and that diploma but you have your whole life to make money and to pay it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.